Bose QuietComfort 2???
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by snyper238
ok i will look into some IEMs

yea i was gunna ask if there was a sticky bashing bose, but like the guy before you said they are the only option.

There's no official sticky, but there are a number of threads with alternatives (like the one in my sig). Honestly, I wouldn't do the HD280. It's big, and it just isn't exciting to listen to. The Bose (while grossly overpriced) have much more of what a consumer wants in sound (warm midbass and floppy huge lower bass). It really doesn't block out noise like you think it should, though.
Search the forum for alternatives, there are many.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

yea i was gunna ask if there was a sticky bashing bose, but like the guy before you said they are the only option.

As Sticky, No. Roughly 8000 non-stickied threads, yep. Just do a search for "Bose" you will find nothing but threads bashing them.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Well they are the only "advertised" option and what you gain in isolation and comfort you lose in sound. I find IEM's very comfortable and much easier for general use because of the mobility factor. Especially something like the UM2 which you can wear and have the side of your head on a pillow.

I believe the QC2 is about $200-$300 IIRC and for that price you can get so much more bang for buck.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 31
OK. I don't think the Bose are the only alternatives. I think all the
firms producing headphones are making Active Noise Cancelation cans.
Let's see... AKG K28NC - small, noise canceling, maybe the drivers from AKG K26P (not a bad thing).
Sennheiser PXC 150 PXC 250 and PXC 300 are another offerings and I have heard good things for
their normal siblings PX 100 and PX 200.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
There's no official sticky, but there are a number of threads with alternatives (like the one in my sig). Honestly, I wouldn't do the HD280. It's big, and it just isn't exciting to listen to. The Bose (while grossly overpriced) have much more of what a consumer wants in sound (warm midbass and floppy huge lower bass). It really doesn't block out noise like you think it should, though.
Search the forum for alternatives, there are many.

HD280s are especially good if you EQ them and get them brand new for $35!
biggrin.gif
I think I'm one of probably 3 people on this board that likes these headphones quite a bit. Mine have punchy bass, a shacking low end, strong mids, and dark highs. My kind of sound.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
HD280s are especially good if you EQ them and get them brand new for $35!
biggrin.gif
I think I'm one of probably 3 people on this board that likes these headphones quite a bit. Mine have punchy bass, a shacking low end, strong mids, and dark highs. My kind of sound.

Hmm, fair enough, I don't really EQ that much. If you're gonna use them out of an iPod, just be warned... the iPod EQ to this day is one of the worst.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 31
An IEM doesn't really need to noise cancel.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

are there noise cancelling iems?

All of them are. If you have ever been to a shooting range or worked construction the tips are similar that the ones you would use in those cases. The go inside your canal. Most come with a variety of tips for each person to try and fit for individual best sound and comfort.

IEM's are different but you would not believe the incredible sound in such a small package. They aren't for everyone but it's worth looking in to if isolation is that important. I believe most IEM's are around the 25db noise reduction range.

Here are a few to look at:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/um2dudrineaw.html

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/she4ceaforip.html

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/uleasu5peabl.html

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Hmm, fair enough, I don't really EQ that much. If you're gonna use them out of an iPod, just be warned... the iPod EQ to this day is one of the worst.

Agreed. However, the HD280 are remarkably responsive to EQ in the low end especially. I've gotten a transfer function EQ made up to make HD280Pro sound like Audio Technica A900; consider that sonic difference!

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

well like for plane rides and stuff to take out the engine noise and such

you're from urbana?

An IEM blocks out noise solely by virtue of being an IEM. The db reduction depends on the tips, but even the least isolating ones (Shure soft flex) blocks out outside noise sufficiently so that you don't have to turn the volume up in order to drown out the outside noise (classical being the exception since there's often long quiet passages in that).

Yes, I'm from Urbana. Or at least I'm living in Urbana right now.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
The HD280Pro will suck for air travel. They block out absolutely no noise at all under about 100Hz, and the plane's engine noise is its loudest from 30Hz to 100Hz. It'll go right through them like they're not even there. Your only option if you want both good sound quality and good isolation is to get a pair of IEMs. That's it.

If isolation and over-the-ear comfort are your two major concerns, the Bose QC2 are the only game in town.

I was wondering about taht but was unsure. Thanks for clearing it up.
Listen to NotJeffBuckley, he knows what he is talking about

And just to be more specific about iem's, they are bassically a very nice earplug with great sound quality. The ety series (which I own) have earplugs similar to musician earplugs.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

are there noise cancelling iems?

I'm afraid you've been getting a lot of confused and confusing advice in this thread.

First, to clarify -- there is a difference between the terms "noise-cancelling" and "isolating". Almost any _closed_ cans will have some isolating effect -- that is, they will block out outside sound, like earplugs. IEMs fit into this category.

Noise-cancelling works on a completely different principle (destructive interference, which I hope you guys learn about in school), and requires electronic circuitry to work, like the Bose QC2. I'm surprised only one person mentioned the Sennheiser NC cans. I own a pair of the Senn PX250s, and was stunned to find that they seem to have better sound quality than my regular PX200s, perhaps because of the included amplifier. The biggest negative for me is the hiss that can be detected in quiet environments, but it is undetectable outdoors and in precisely the noisy environments where you want noise-cancelling. (I use my old PX200s at home.) You should check the CNET review -- they compare the PX250 and the newer PX300 favourably against the QC2.

My other peeve about the Senn NC phones is the cord mess -- the amp/circuitry and batteries are in a separate clip-on tube, with an extra cable leading to the headphones. Overall, though, they are much cheaper than the Bose, better-constructed, and have better sound quality.

As for IEMs, I have tried my brother's Shure's. You get a much greater noise-reduction than with NC phones, and excellent sound quality. However, IEMs tend to block out a huge range of frequencies, so you can't talk to the stewardess or person sitting next to you. With the Senn's, they mainly block out the engine drone and background hum, but you can still talk to people. Oh, and I should also mention that on at least one airplane, my brother found his Shure's way too sensitive to use with the plane's sound system -- he couldn't find an appropriate volume that wasn't too loud or too quiet. Both the Senn's and the Bose were designed with airline use in mind, so they have a very high impedance, avoiding this problem.

In general, though, IEMs are probably the way to go if noise-reduction is your biggest concern, but it also depends on what you find comfortable and convenient. I like the feeling of regular cans over IEMs, but this is a matter of personal taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back