Bose QuietComfort® Earbuds
Oct 5, 2020 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Kicking off the thread for this impressive TWS earphones. I guess Bose earphones aren't technically iems?

I recently got these and I was impressed with these true wireless earphones. The sound response is smooth and didn't hear any peaks or significant valleys on the sound (but, maybe the measurements can show otherwise). Noise cancelling is quite good, and not entirely sure if APP or Bose QC is better in noise reduction.

I was taken back by the size of the sound stage, and the way bass is expressed. Bass sounds quite large due to the sound stage being so large (sound stage imaging is impressive). I wonder if large drivers are used. Quite fun sounding TWS.

I've been listening to these with USB Audio Player Pro Tidal front end.

Please post your thoughts and impressions.

Mic tests and comparisons

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 29
I actually just received mine on Saturday so I haven’t had much time with them yet, but I must say, my initial impressions are exceptional. The most surprising thing about these earbuds is honestly the sound. I’ve always liked Bose headphones for their comfort, noise cancelling, and travel friendly features. Sound has always been kind of a toleration. These are the first Bose headphones or earbuds that I can honestly say I am impressed with the sound. In my opinion, and more listening is still needed, these are the best Bose Bluetooth headphones or earbuds I’ve heard, and I’ve owned or listened to all of them. These sound very fun and musical, two words I’ve never used on any Bose headphones. For me, sterile and balanced are what I typically use. That’s is no longer the case with these. They’re also the most comfortable earbuds out in my opinion. Although I haven’t tested all of the wireless ANC earbuds out, I can’t imagine any beating these when it comes to noise cancelling. When it comes to ANC, these rival the Bose QC35 II and NC700 in my opinion. For those wondering, I will say that the mics for calls are not as groundbreaking as the NC700, but they’re still REALLY good. More to come.

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 29
Probably I will receiving the qc earbuds Friday (or Monday), I have the sony xm3 for comparison specially the ANC and the sound.

New review posting today, and is good because is mentioning Airpods Pro many times with good balance in his opinion.

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 29
In my opinion, these are overall Bose's best headphones or earbuds they've ever made. The combination of sound, portability, comfort, noise cancelling, and features, these are their flagship product. This is the best Bose sound signature I've ever heard. For once they've made a musical headphone as oppose to their usual sterile sound.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 29
How is the fit in terms of seal??
I loved the older Bose sound sport true wireless earbuds. The fit was okay but the ear buds were kinda large and heavy.
The fit is typical Bose earbuds. One thing I will say is that the ear tips themselves appear bigger than previous Bose offerings. Not sure if anyone else is noticing this. The medium on the QCs are almost like the large on the Sound Sport Free. I think they've made all the tips bigger. I can see this being a good thing for some, and a bad thing for others. I've always worn the medium tips on every other Bose earbud. With the QCs, I still wear the medium, but I have to play with the left tip to make sure it stays in my ear. I'm still back and forth on whether to just go with the small for my left ear. I feel the medium seals better but is not as secure because it doesn't go in quite as far as it needs to. The small stays in but doesn't feel as isolating. Didn't have that issue with the older Bose Earbuds.

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 29
In my opinion, these are overall Bose's best headphones or earbuds they've ever made. The combination of sound, portability, comfort, noise cancelling, and features, these are their flagship product. This is the best Bose sound signature I've ever heard. For once they've made a musical headphone as oppose to their usual sterile sound.
Yeah, I recall saying earlier on that I don't expect much from TWS, and now I eat my words. I think Bose has proven that we can get that level of sound from a small amp inside the small TWS housing. I can't believe I'm getting such bass from a TWS. Future is looking quite bright with TWS based on the Bose QC Earbuds. I'm expecting better and better now. And I was going to stay content with my APP, and give up on anything else TWS...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 29
I receiving the QuietComfort Earbuds (qce) this morning. This is a very, very good ANC wireless product.

Positive aspects:

1. Excellent anc. I don't having my Airpods Pro (APP) anymore because I think the anc isn't good for travels by airplane. I think the qce's anc is better. The sony xm3 (over ear headphones) is better, and is king of anc, but I think the qce, from my memory, isn't very far, is similar to qc35 and nc700 and if this is true, then the qce is probably sufficient good for airplane travels.

2. Sound quality is very good. I'm sure the frequency curve will. The bass is achieving excellent combination of little more body to the music but is NEVER intruding in the mids or sounding muddy. The xm3, in contrast, is sounding very bassy and lacking clarity in comparison, and the xm3 is a headphone not earphone.
From my memory of the qc35, qc35II and nc700, the new qce is better. I preferring the two qc35 models sound to nc700 because with the 700 mids, when you putting the volume up (and not a lot), the mids /lower treble hurting my ears. And I don't remember liking the APP sound like I like the qce (specially the bass), and I always thinking the APP is a very good anc wireless earphone.

3. Comfort. Similar like Airpods Pro, the qce don't go inside deep in the ears, this is better for comfort and for the ears breathing better. The wings of the qce are helping having more secure fit, but I remember having more comfort with Airpods Pro

Negative aspects:

1. No volume controls and no previous track option (only next track). For me this is pity because changing volume and tracks constantly. At least the option 'next track' is possible.

2. The case for this type of product is more big than the competition. You can't putting in trousers like the case of the APP

3. You can't connecting to 2 devices like with qc35 & nc700. This is a surprise for me because making headphones for business people for many years and this feature is common in many headphones today, but maybe isn't for anc wireless earphones

4. The earpieces are big and looking little funny (I'm happy I ordering the black colour!)

5. Battery life of 8 hours is ideal for me for a premium product like this. I hope the 6 hrs bose advertising is real and not like Sennheiser True Wireless 2 that advertising 7 (or 7,5) and I obtaining 5,5 with mid volume (the TW2 anc is a disaster, by the way)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 29
My opinion of APP ANC is very high compared to XM3. Best way to test it out is in the aircraft cabbins. I got rid of the XM3 since it did neither SQ or ANC good.

I agree that Bose has real bass, but without intruding the mids and soforth. It's deep and large imaging bass, and Bose did a good job here. Sound stage is huge!

Anybody know how to switch on/off ANC with the touch controls? I wish there was transparency on/off controls with touch. I really liked APP stem switching.

I just can't wait to see the FR graph of these Bose. I know Bose Sport Free had good measurment results.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 29
My opinion of APP ANC is very high compared to XM3. Best way to test it out is in the aircraft cabbins. I got rid of the XM3 since it did neither SQ or ANC good.

I agree that Bose has real bass, but without intruding the mids and soforth. It's deep and large imaging bass, and Bose did a good job here.

I just can't wait to see the FR graph of these Bose. I know Bose Sport Free had good measurment results.

Well, I testing both at the same time in a flight in January and the sony xm3, for anc, is very clearly superior because is blocking many more aircraft engine noise, and this is when I deciding selling the AAP very soon after that. I only using eq in the xm3 because the factory sound isn't very good.

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 29
Well, I testing both at the same time in a flight in January and the sony xm3, for anc, is very clearly superior because is blocking many more aircraft engine noise, and this is when I deciding selling the AAP very soon after that. I only using eq in the xm3 because the factory sound isn't very good.
Interesting, XM3 ANC was mediocre like it was fake ANC when I had them. Perhaps I had a defective pair, or ANC is perceived differe tly? It is very clear APP had superior ANC to the level of the full-sized for heavy aircraft engin noises, I found it to be the best TWS ANC. See, I don't even find Bose better. I'd have to test it out in engine noise, but seems neck in neck. APP ANC works really well for me, just like the measurements show of the ANC performance for low frequencies. The ANC measurements back up my claim. Most of the time measurements do reflect what I hear, so I do rely on measurements most of the time.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 29
Interesting, XM3 ANC was mediocre like it was fake ANC when I had them. Perhaps I had a defective pair, or ANC is perceived differe tly? It is very clear APP had superior ANC to the level of the full-sized for heavy aircraft engin noises, I found it to be the best TWS ANC. See, I don't even find Bose better. I'd have to test it out in engine noise, but seems neck in neck. APP ANC works really well for me, just like the measurements show of the ANC performance for low frequencies.

I only buying the xm3 for travels in the airplane or trains. I buying first the APP and I'm impressed with anc, then I seeing many comparisons in articles or youtube of anc between AAP and xm3 and everybody saying xm3 is better. So I deciding testing personally. And I agreeing with this many comments about the anc comparison and is the only reason I keeping the xm3 (and for comfort and good case too).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #14 of 29
I only buying the xm3 for travels in the airplane or trains. I buying first the APP and I'm impressed with anc, then I seeing many comparisons in articles or youtube of anc between AAP and xm3 and everybody saying xm3 is better. So I deciding testing personally. And I agreeing with this many comments about the anc comparison and is the only reason I keeping the xm3 (and for comfort and good case too).
Now, if we're talking about full-sized XM3, I can agree without although APP does the important portion of low frequencies just as well, which I can also prove with data. Do I trust CNET, etc.. reviewers with quality reviews? No. Although reviewer like Marques Brownlee is entertaining for other stuff like phones. Do I take his audio reviews seriously? No.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 29
Now, if we're talking about full-sized XM3, I can agree without although APP does the important portion of low frequencies just as well, which I can also prove with data.

I'm ONLY always talking about the xm3 headphone, I saying this in my first post today, "the sony xm3 (over ear headphones)"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back