Bose quick listen
Mar 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

smrtby123

100+ Head-Fier
So I was over a friends house and I got a chance to listen to two sets of Bose headphones that he has. They had the standard Bose over-ear headphones and a set of on-ear noise canceling cans. Before taking a listen I skeptical of all the Bose hate on head-fi, but I knew they were a bit overpriced but after a quick listen I have to say this stuff is ridiculous. When I threw my SR80's on for the first time I was blown away at how amazing all my stuff sounding. Both sets of Bose were below average at best. When the noise canceling set costs $350 I want even better than what I have but my 80's smoke those phones. I was skeptical of all the Bose haters before simply because people are buying them and seem to be satisfied, but after that listen, I get it. I don't know how they get away with charging so much for mediocre sound. Just want to see if there are a lot of people like this, who gave Bose a little benefit of the doubt, and went into full on hate when they actually listened to what they say to be are high-end audio cans.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 57
Why am I not surprised
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was over a friends house and I got a chance to listen to two sets of Bose headphones that he has. They had the standard Bose over-ear headphones and a set of on-ear noise canceling cans. Before taking a listen I skeptical of all the Bose hate on head-fi, but I knew they were a bit overpriced but after a quick listen I have to say this stuff is ridiculous. When I threw my SR80's on for the first time I was blown away at how amazing all my stuff sounding. Both sets of Bose were below average at best. When the noise canceling set costs $350 I want even better than what I have but my 80's smoke those phones. I was skeptical of all the Bose haters before simply because people are buying them and seem to be satisfied, but after that listen, I get it. I don't know how they get away with charging so much for mediocre sound. Just want to see if there are a lot of people like this, who gave Bose a little benefit of the doubt, and went into full on hate when they actually listened to what they say to be are high-end audio cans.

If you tell a lie long enough people start to believe it. If all you hear is, BOSE are great, you tend to believe it if you have no actually headphone experience to back it on.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 57
After joining Head-fi I decided (from hearing the people here talk) that Bose was overpriced and that it probably wasn't as good as most of the stuff on here, but I thought that it probably wasn't too bad despite everything. I was wrong. Everything that I used to remember liking in Bose is not as good as I remember it seeming, and the negatives are not hard to spot. To Bose's credit though, their headphones are like pillows, and they've done a damn fine job marketing their equipment!

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 57
Bose is a consumer brand that does not target audiophiles. People Like lots of bass and an emphasized, powerful sound with a small form factor. Thats why Bose is popular. I did a review on the Bose around ear and comparing them to my grados was like apples and oranges. Two completely different headphones for completely different tastes.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 57
marketting and looks. You dont ever see other brands gets marketted? i like to see ads by Grado etc.. :p And also the Apple store is important. Although people would still choose the Bose On-ear over the Audio Technica ES7. They just dont know about Audio Technica.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 57
I think this thread may be
deadhorse.gif
Though i'm glad to see people trying them before forming opinions. And I agree bose is bad audio quality, but comfy. As someone once said on this forum "bose is poo, very comftorable poo".

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone once said on this forum "bose is poo, very comftorable poo".

ROFL
biggrin.gif

that's going in my sig

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 57
Another one of these threads...
very_evil_smiley.gif

But at least you now have made up your own mind...

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 57
It's reasonable to be satisfied with Bose when it's your first "audiophile" headphone. As bad as Bose headphones are, they're still light years ahead of apple ibuds and those cheapies that come with the mp3 players.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 57
Alot of people likes bose because of one thing "comfort" if it is comfortable they dont care about the sound as much. The College at work told me the Bose On-ear has "way" better bass than my Ultrasone Pro 750 that's just like What??

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 57
Yeah sorry for beating a dead horse but I wasn't expecting my opinion of the brand to get worse after I actually listened to them. They weren't bad, definitely good step up from your standard buds or phones, but not unbelievable. I will have to check out the noise-canceling and try them from a better source.

I will say the build quality is very good, and they were very comfortable, but I'm sure their margins are very high.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 57
Sorry guys but I hate all about BOSE. The brand is a fraud aimed to those with no knowledge at all about good sound. In fact they show a caricature of the real sound
ph34r.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 57
The lifestyle systems are pretty awful, just one dipoley mushy mess of sound with farty bass. Considering some of them cost £3000+ I can build a system 1/5th the price and will be better in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back