Bose QC35-II Bluetooth Issue
Jun 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Skycyclepilot

100+ Head-Fier
I have a new pair of QC35-IIs, and connect them via Bluetooth to an LG V35 phone. Every ten to fifteen minutes, I experience a very brief drop-out - more of a very quick glitch. This does not happen when I use the cable in active mode.

I've unpaired and re-paired the headphones, reset the headphones, cleared the data and cache for the Bluetooth system app in the cellphone, etc. The cellphone is only a couple of feet away, and I'm not messing with it during playback.

I'm running out of ideas. Anybody else got any?

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 11
Bluetooth connections of Android may have a lot of factors to consider. Connection codecs and different OS versions always may introduce hassles or errors. Please try qc35ii with different bluetooth receivers: PC, laptop, other portables, other android machines, etc.

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 11
Bluetooth connections of Android may have a lot of factors to consider. Connection codecs and different OS versions always may introduce hassles or errors. Please try qc35ii with different bluetooth receivers: PC, laptop, other portables, other android machines, etc.

Are you saying that issues like this are to be expected, and it may not be possible to resolve this issue? Is expecting to be able to listen for hours at a time without the occasional glitch in the sound too much to expect?

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Theoretically it should not happen. However, I've seen the glitching issue with some devices under a certain condition. Some windows machine present similar troubles rarely.

I had no bluetooth issues with any sony device, but some asus devices gave me hard time. And some android versions, as far as I remember, had bluetooth bugs. So it's pretty difficult to attribute which was the exact cause.

That's why I suggest to try different combination, such as your LG + other BT headphones or your QC35ii + other smartphones. It will reveal a little bit more of the story.

May 18, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 11
I realize that this thread is nearly 2yrs old, but I have had the same issue with a pair of Bose QC35 II headphones.
I used them on a Moto G7 with Android 10, and experienced the same glitches / hiccups you are describing.
I did a LOT of testing, and was unable to resolve the issue. This is what I tried:

1. Airplane mode (with BlueTooth enabled only)
2. Do Not Disturb turned on
3. Different player on phone. I used PowerAmp v3 and the default Android player.
4. Cnange of environment: Going out to walk the dog, where BT interference would be much less likely
5. Shutting down or uninstalling all other apps that used Bluetooth, WiFi or cell data.
6. Enabling cellular data (I normally keep it turned off, as I have Tracfone with limited data)
7. Paired the QC35 II with another phone (Android 7). Same problem.

None of the above solved the problem.
But when I paired the QC35 II with my computer - Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus Wifi / Ryzen 7 - the issue disappeared.
And when I paired another Bluetooth device with my phone, the issue was (mostly) gone.

What I concluded was that there were compatability issues between Android and the QC35 II.
This does not to be a universal issue with Android Bluetooth, as I had better results with other headphones/IEM's paired to the same phone.

After a week of troubleshooting, I returned the QC35 II to Amazon.

May 18, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 11
I realize that this thread is nearly 2yrs old, but I have had the same issue with a pair of Bose QC35 II headphones.
I used them on a Moto G7 with Android 10, and experienced the same glitches / hiccups you are describing.
I did a LOT of testing, and was unable to resolve the issue. This is what I tried:

1. Airplane mode (with BlueTooth enabled only)
2. Do Not Disturb turned on
3. Different player on phone. I used PowerAmp v3 and the default Android player.
4. Cnange of environment: Going out to walk the dog, where BT interference would be much less likely
5. Shutting down or uninstalling all other apps that used Bluetooth, WiFi or cell data.
6. Enabling cellular data (I normally keep it turned off, as I have Tracfone with limited data)
7. Paired the QC35 II with another phone (Android 7). Same problem.

None of the above solved the problem.
But when I paired the QC35 II with my computer - Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus Wifi / Ryzen 7 - the issue disappeared.
And when I paired another Bluetooth device with my phone, the issue was (mostly) gone.

What I concluded was that there were compatability issues between Android and the QC35 II.
This does not to be a universal issue with Android Bluetooth, as I had better results with other headphones/IEM's paired to the same phone.

After a week of troubleshooting, I returned the QC35 II to Amazon.
You did the right thing. The QC35-II is an ancient design, and Bose is a horrible company to deal with - you're paying for a name and marketing, and not much else. Their "customer service" is laughable. They are only able to quote what you can already find in the Help sections on their website. Their support people have no technical expertise whatsoever - they are just operators. If you want good quality wireless headphones with neutral, accurate sound, look into the Jabra Elite 85h headphones. The Jabras are not quite as good when it comes to noise reduction, but in every other respect, they are superior to anything Bose sells. Same goes for the customer support - it's first rate.

May 19, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 11
I wish I had done as much research on the headphones as I did before buying a new computer monitor!
Funny thing is I learned about the Bose QC35 II while reading a review for the Sony WH-1000XM4. One reviewer compared those to the QC35 II.
Amazon had the QC35 II for $249, compared to their current price of $299. I don't think I would have purchased them at the higher price.

Besides the periodic hiccups in the audio from the QC35 II, I was peeved that they would not use AAC, despite their claim to support it, and my Android phone supporting AAC.
Will the Jabra Elite 85h actually work with AAC on my Android 10 phone? That is going to be a major point when I choose the replacement for the QC35 II's.
My phone is the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx with Android 10.
Whenever I attempted to change from SBC to AAC (in developer options), it kept reverting back to SBC once I swiped away from then returned to the setting screen.

I own a pair of Jabra Elite Active 75t, which I like for sound quality, but I cannot wear them all day. They usually stay put while I'm out running, but they are not good for all-day use. Obviously, one cannot wear earbuds while eating or even talking much. Move your jaw and they loosen and eventually fall out.

I will certainly consider the Jabra Elite 85h. I just need to wait for my refund on the QC35 II to be confirmed.

May 19, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 11
I wish I had done as much research on the headphones as I did before buying a new computer monitor!
Funny thing is I learned about the Bose QC35 II while reading a review for the Sony WH-1000XM4. One reviewer compared those to the QC35 II.
Amazon had the QC35 II for $249, compared to their current price of $299. I don't think I would have purchased them at the higher price.

Besides the periodic hiccups in the audio from the QC35 II, I was peeved that they would not use AAC, despite their claim to support it, and my Android phone supporting AAC.
Will the Jabra Elite 85h actually work with AAC on my Android 10 phone? That is going to be a major point when I choose the replacement for the QC35 II's.
My phone is the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx with Android 10.
Whenever I attempted to change from SBC to AAC (in developer options), it kept reverting back to SBC once I swiped away from then returned to the setting screen.

I own a pair of Jabra Elite Active 75t, which I like for sound quality, but I cannot wear them all day. They usually stay put while I'm out running, but they are not good for all-day use. Obviously, one cannot wear earbuds while eating or even talking much. Move your jaw and they loosen and eventually fall out.

I will certainly consider the Jabra Elite 85h. I just need to wait for my refund on the QC35 II to be confirmed.
The Sony headphones only sound good if you like boomy, bloated bass. If you like Beats headphones you might like them, but if you care about sound accuracy and quality, stay away from them. I owned the 85h headphones for a while, and they did indeed use AAC. Keep in mind that your phone might revert back to SBC when anything AAC is not actively connected to Bluetooth. If your phone does revert back, connect to your AAC headphones, and go back and check the setting while they are actively connected. I have an LG V35, and if I recall, that's how my phone worked - SBC when not connected, but AAC when connected. You'll like the 85h headphones. They are a modern design, with USB-C charging, and really long battery life.

May 19, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the info. As far as AAC is concerned, I tried everything to get it to work with the QC35 II.
After you suggested the Jabra Elite 85h, I sent Jabra an e-mail inquiring about AAC on the Android. It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

Honestly, if my ATH-M50X weren't so heavy, I would just wear them while just puttering around the house or walking the dog. But They become tiresome to wear after a long time, and I don't consider them an 'outdoor' headphone in the first place. Also, I cannot take phone calls while wearing them.
I only mention the ATH-M50X because they are my reference to which I compare everything else.

May 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the info. As far as AAC is concerned, I tried everything to get it to work with the QC35 II.
After you suggested the Jabra Elite 85h, I sent Jabra an e-mail inquiring about AAC on the Android. It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

Honestly, if my ATH-M50X weren't so heavy, I would just wear them while just puttering around the house or walking the dog. But They become tiresome to wear after a long time, and I don't consider them an 'outdoor' headphone in the first place. Also, I cannot take phone calls while wearing them.
I only mention the ATH-M50X because they are my reference to which I compare everything else.
You're welcome. The ATH-M50X has considerably accentuated upper bass - they're overly warm. The 85h headphones have better extended bass, but are more neutral in the upper bass. They are more accurate, or "hi-fi". You might want to take a trip to Best Buy, and try them, and the Sony headphones out, if possible. I don't recall how heavy they are, either.

May 27, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Now the Jabra Elite 85h are on sale at Amazon and Best Buy for $199. I think I will just take a run up to BB and pick up a pair.
OTOH, recalling my frustration with Android BT, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try to find a better wired pair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back