Bose QC30 - QuietControl 30 wireless noise canceling earphones - impressions
Feb 4, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #65 of 75
Oh god! I give in! I give in!
blink.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #67 of 75
I just bought the quietcontrol 30 at BestBuy in Toronto yesterday (Feb 5th), on my first usage everything was fine for about 10 minutes, then the volume in the right earbud gradually faded over about 5 seconds until I couldn't hear anything, but the noise canceling remained active and I could still hear through the left earbud. About 10 minutes after that and without me having done anything, the right earbud came back online. Then 10 minutes later it faded again, except this time the noise canceling dropped off on the right earbud as well, and it hasn't come back online since. So this really sucks. I bought them on the tail end of a visit to Canada, and am now flying back to Vietnam where I currently live and work, so I'm really hoping Bose doesn't give me any trouble about shipping a replacement unit there. I didn't keep any of the packaging but I did request an email receipt which I haven't received yet. :/

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #68 of 75
Update: I updated the firmware to 1.2.8 (was 1.0.7 out of the box) and after awhile the sound trickled back into the right earbud. I don't know what better word to describe it than "trickled," over the course of about 30 seconds it very slowly worked it way from totally dead to working normally. This makes me think that the issue I've been having is software-related, maybe an issue with the mic interfering with playback or something. Fingers crossed that it doesn't just drizzle out again.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #70 of 75
I did some A/B testing with the QC30 (store sample pair) and my old QC20 today. Overall, the sound is quite similar, with the following differences:
- QC30 is noticeably bassier than the QC20. Bass is quite exaggerated but relatively controlled for the quantity and there is minimal bleed into the mids.
- QC30 has a better soundstage (wider and deeper), with vocals sounding a bit farther away than the QC20 without being recessed.
- Treble clarity is improved on the QC30 as well, with more crispness and texture than the QC20. However, treble quantity is still lacking compared to the full sized QC25 and QC35. In spite of this, I still prefer the overall sound signature of the QC20/30 over the QC25/35 - while the treble is relatively prominent on the over-ear models, it's very artificial/digital/unnatural sounding.

I'm debating picking up a pair. However, one thing that bothered me was the fact that the cables are a little too short (maybe I just have a long neck) and when I turn my head to one side, the cable on the opposite side pulls on the earbud and breaks the seal. Still trying to decide whether this is a dealbreaker.

Quote:
  yes, I spoke to a Bose representative this evening and he says it's a known problem that they are having with the QC 30s. They're currently working on fixing the issues it is not a software problem but a hardware problem. He believes the ones that he has in the store now do not have the microphone problem as of January. Any qc 30s purchased before January Will most likely have the microphone problem. Where it is picking up too much background noise very difficult to do voice dictation and have a basic conversation on the phone with someone

Did they say whether the problem is covered under warranty? It should, right?

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #73 of 75
Hi,

I am thinking of buying the QC30, but I have a few questions:

Can I wear them while sleeping / staying in bed on my back? Doesn't the neckband interfere with the pillow?

Do the fit firmly enough so I can use them while cycling (leisure, not high speed or downhill etc.) and not worry about loosing them?

Do they have a fair ammount of passive noise isolation (for an earbud type)?

Do they fairly cancel higher frequency sounds like TV (news, talkshows etc.) and conversation?

Can the ANC be turned completely off through the app, so when they're idle for < 10 mins (pause and resume), they don't consume much power? Also, do the settings stay persisted after they are turned off, or you have to configure them every single time?

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #74 of 75
Hi, i will answer in red color.

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the QC30, but I have a few questions:

Can I wear them while sleeping / staying in bed on my back? Doesn't the neckband interfere with the pillow?
I would not wear them for sleeping, mainly to because if you move during the earbuds can be annoying with the pillow. Also the neckband, to me.
Furthermore, i don't think it could be safe for our health to stay with a wireless device so close to the head for many hours.

Do the fit firmly enough so I can use them while cycling (leisure, not high speed or downhill etc.) and not worry about loosing them?
Yes. The neckband probably will rotate a bit, but without being a problem.

Do they have a fair ammount of passive noise isolation (for an earbud type)?
Noise isolation is quite good, even if the earbuds are not the typical in-ear but a bit bigger.

Do they fairly cancel higher frequency sounds like TV (news, talkshows etc.) and conversation?
Yes they do, but as any NC device they work better against steady low freq noice (airplane, train, etc...).

Can the ANC be turned completely off through the app, so when they're idle for < 10 mins (pause and resume), they don't consume much power? Also, do the settings stay persisted after they are turned off, or you have to configure them every single time?
The ANC can be tuned from the app and from the controller on the cable of the bud on the right ear and it can be switched off. I don't know if the settings stay persisted after turning off because i use them always with ANC at the maximum level and i found them in the same setting every time (so, i guess that the answer to your question is yes).

Thanks.

I had the feeling that you are looking more for something that isolate you from the noise than for a pair of headphones. Maybe like when you want to sleep and someone else is looking to the TV.
It may seem a stupid question, but is it correct my thought?

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #75 of 75
I would not wear them for sleeping, mainly to because if you move during the earbuds can be annoying with the pillow. Also the neckband, to me.
I rarely had to use headphones when sleeping, but I often had to use when resting / napping, or just lying in bed reading something. So movement is not a concern. I currently use a Bose Soundlink On Ear pair, which is larger than QC30 and it's fine while I don't move. I'm interested if the neckband design is in such a way that it seamlessly stays between the pillow and my neck (doesn't get raised in some awkward position, feels like it's going to snap etc.).

Furthermore, i don't think it could be safe for our health to stay with a wireless device so close to the head for many hours
I agree in principle. However, there are sometimes bigger health issues that concern. I suffer from severe misophonia, from various types of sounds, and headphones with white noise playing are currently the only working solution to keep my sanity.

Hi, i will answer in red color.
I had the feeling that you are looking more for something that isolate you from the noise than for a pair of headphones. Maybe like when you want to sleep and someone else is looking to the TV.
It may seem a stupid question, but is it correct my thought?
The headphones are for multiple uses:
- avoiding hearing some sounds that are annoying to me (by playing white noise)
- concentrating while reading, and somebody else watches TV / listens to music
- listening to podcasts while cooking (and someone else watches TV) or riding a bicycle
I have multiple (bluetooth) headphones, including Bose OE and AE. No wireless earbuds though, yet. The IEM "deep" ones are not comfortable for me, and Bose's StayHear ones look to be much more comfortable (also reading other's experiences). This + Bluetooth + ANC point me towards the QC30's, although the beckband is definitely something new that I didn't get a chance to test (and here, return policies don't apply to earbuds as they're considered hygiene items).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back