Bose QC3 and iPod
Mar 19, 2007 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

smachand

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I know that people here aren't thrilled with Bose headphones, but my friend is getting married and he really wants a pair of Quiet Comfort 3's as a wedding gift. He's not an audiophile and the reason he wants them is that his boss is a big fan and likes to show off his stuff. It's like an office peer pressure thing. So I decided not to tell him that they are considered overpriced for the sound quality because in this case it really is a brand issue.
My question is whether the iPod is sufficiently capable or powering the QC3. I know the QC3's have an internal battery, but I'm not sure if it's used only to power the noise cancellation technology. Is he going to need a little amplifier as well just so that his Ipod doesn't keep getting drained. Again, it's not really a sound quality issue -- I know my bigger headphones sound much better amped. He has a 2.5 hour commute and I want to make sure that his iPod isn't dead half way through.
Thanks.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 20
I don't own one, but I've toyed with the QC3 at an Apple Store. The battery powers the noise cancellation, but the headphones don't put out much sound without the noise cancelling on anyway. You shouldn't have to worry about the iPod dying, it'll be the headphones batteries that need to be replaced.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 20
They work but you would not like it but your firend if not exposed to other cheaper and better alternatives would probably love it. That's how I started. For $299 I would get an IEM like the new SE420 or UM2. They sound waaaaaaaay better, isolate well and fit in your pocket.

Convince your friend to show his boss that he is on the cutting edge and that the Bose phones are for trendies.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 20
If his number one reason for getting them is to impress the boss, then for certain get the Bose QC3 and chalk it up to "it is what it is." No worries, the bose can be driven crappily but sufficiently by a standalone ipod. Oh, and get him a nice headphone stand too so he can leave it at work - then buy him some Koss KSC75 for 20 bucks so he can actually enjoy music at home and during his commute!

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 20
that sucks. (the situation AND the headphones)

... =D

well yea, i guess impressing the boss would fare well in the future. keep in mind that bose markets to the seemingly ignorant... so an iPod should be more than enough to drive them without amps. the separate headphone battery i cannot say since i do not have one

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 20
Get him some shures. They advertise a lot lately. Worse case get him the Bose in ears. Tell him that with the QC3 he would mess up his hair and wouldnt look cool!
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPodschun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own one, but I've toyed with the QC3 at an Apple Store. The battery powers the noise cancellation, but the headphones don't put out much sound without the noise cancelling on anyway. You shouldn't have to worry about the iPod dying, it'll be the headphones batteries that need to be replaced.

Really? When I had my NW-HD1 (brand new), my QC2 battery lasted much longer than the actual DAP, since I had to increase the volume significantly higher than my IEM. Unless of course the QC3 is a deprovement.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 20
I say get what he wants. I'm sure he's hinted at QC3 for a gift for some while now.

I wouldn't worry about QC3 draining the iPod battery too much. But you should also chip in another $20 bucks and get him to KSC-75 for comparison. Doesn't hurt you much and it opens up alternate headphone brands to your friend.

Good luck!

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 20
Get him Audio-Technica A900. They're big, looks good & expensive and sounds a lot better than Bose. Just tell your friend to spread the word that headphone is coming from Japan worth $$$$.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get him Audio-Technica A900. They're big, looks good & expensive and sounds a lot better than Bose. Just tell your friend to spread the word that headphone is coming from Japan worth $$$$.

x2 very good idea.

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 20
I like the idea of getting him the QC3 and KSC75s. It'd be pretty cool to have him kind of step back and say "whoa... these were HOW much???". And he'll still have the ridiculous status symbol.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 20
A variation on the Koss suggestion -- bite the bullet and get the Bose headphones (hey, the guy's getting married ... they'll be a sort of short-term consolation) ... but spend just $30 more and add a pair of Creative EP630 in-ear earphones, as an "extra."

The Creative canal phones will be a pretty good, but affordable, introduction to in-ears, and he'll have something portable to fall back on when the headband breaks on the Bose, when he forgets to bring batteries for the noise-cancelling headphones, or he doesn't want headphone hair.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 20
Sennheiser HD25-1's for the commute and Bose in-ear for around the office?

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 20
What about something that actually matches Bose for looks, et al? I'd show him a photo of ATH-EW9's and see what he says just in case. If you have Bose, you're another pretentious jerk with too much money -- possibly even to the masses who know nothing of sound quality. He's also transparent to his co-workers. But if you have carefully crafted wood ...

You're a connoisseur.
rs1smile.gif

But if he still wants Bose after nudging, be a good friend and oblige him.

Edit: On the other hand, if you get him headphones that don't bloat the bass and Bose does, if his boss is impressed and asks for a listen then 30 seconds later he'll dismiss your friend's 'phones most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back