Bose QC25 on Schiit Asgard 2 - distortion
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Al ex

New Head-Fier
Yesterday I tried the Bose qc25 on my Asgard 2 amp - the sound was awful and heavily distorted.

So I was wondering, if the qc25 is not compatible with the Asgard 2? Is it maybe related to Ohms? I could not find out what the Ohms are for the qc25.

On my Android phone the qc25 works without problems. Also my Sennheiser headphone works without problems on the Asgard 2.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 21
When I owned the QC15, I used it on my Magni 2 Uber with no problems. Sounded great.

The QC25 has two modes: passive and active. Did you try both?

Bose does not publish the specs for QuietComfort headphones.

Here are pages related to QC25 measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/better-travelers-santuary-bose-quiet-comfort-25-measurements
http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-and-Measurements-Bose-QC25-Noise-Cancelling-Headphone_8.htm

Anyway, it should not sound distorted like this.

On a side note, I really recommend using a conventional aftermarket headphone cable with noise cancelling headphones, especially ones from Bose. (With the QC25, you would need an adapter unless you can find a cable with the 2.5mm connector and a connector shell that is thin enough to fit.) The stock cables have electronics that mess with the signal and reduce sound quality. When I used the V-MODA Audio Only Cable (fastened to the QC15 with toilet paper), I was astounded at how much better everything sounded. The main downside is that, due to the active circuitry in the headphones, the channels are switched, but it's a worthy sacrifice. (This may not be an issue with the QC25 in passive mode, but I'm not sure.)

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 21
Yesterday I tried the Bose qc25 on my Asgard 2 amp - the sound was awful and heavily distorted.

So I was wondering, if the qc25 is not compatible with the Asgard 2? Is it maybe related to Ohms? I could not find out what the Ohms are for the qc25.

On my Android phone the qc25 works without problems. Also my Sennheiser headphone works without problems on the Asgard 2.

Your problem could be related to the Apple remote functions of the QC25 cable / plug. Maybe the adapter that you use to run it off the Asgard does not contact the Bose plug correctly. I had the same issue with my Ultrasone Signature Dj connecting to my Asus U7 soundcard headphone output. I could switch to a non remote standard cable, that came from a different Ultrasone headphone and all was fine. The distortion was gone and the sound was as expected. I think that the in line mic somehow came back to the headphone by wrong contact on the amp side. Maybe you have a different adapter and try again.

BTW, the QC 25 cable has no electronics but the mic. The gain switch was moved into the airplane adapter.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 21
  Your problem could be related to the Apple remote functions of the QC25 cable / plug. Maybe the adapter that you use to run it off the Asgard does not contact the Bose plug correctly. I had the same issue with my Ultrasone Signature Dj connecting to my Asus U7 soundcard headphone output. I could switch to a non remote standard cable, that came from a different Ultrasone headphone and all was fine. The distortion was gone and the sound was as expected. I think that the in line mic somehow came back to the headphone by wrong contact on the amp side. Maybe you have a different adapter and try again.

BTW, the QC 25 cable has no electronics but the mic. The gain switch was moved into the airplane adapter.

So my suggestion to try a conventional cable was spot on!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 21

Yes, but it is is unknown so far on HeadFi, if Bose worked with the standard pole assignment on the plug. Someone needs to figure that out...

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 21
You need to test by plugging it in and if it fails by using a Multimeter.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 21

Today I tried again the QC25 on the Asgard 2 with some more songs, the main issue remains, but I have to revise it sligthly: it´s not that much of a distortion issue, it´s more a problem of missing low frequencies - there is almost no bass at all.

It seems you have found the issue, it is 99.9% related to the cable (and the Apple remote functions?):

although I could not try with another cable (thank you Bose for the incompatibility!), I found out that if I push the "middle button" at the Bose cable bass is back!

The problem is minor for me because I bought the QC25 for travelling, not for use at home, but nevertheless, this is really annoying. Why the heck is Bose selling a product, which is partially imcompatible with "standard-hardware" like the Asgard? Why are they designing a poduct specifically for iPhone in the year 2015? Unbelievable...

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 21
The problem is minor for me because I bought the QC25 for travelling, not for use at home, but nevertheless, this is really annoying. Why the heck is Bose selling a product, which is partially imcompatible with "standard-hardware" like the Asgard? Why are they designing a poduct specifically for iPhone in the year 2015? Unbelievable...

Because it's a portable headphone with noise cancelling primarily meant for public use. It is by no means an audiophile headphone for home use.

But as we've all been discussing, the headphones themselves should be fine for home use if you connect a normal cable.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 21
​Now true to Bose’s classic form there’s not much information beyond the general features of the headphone on the box so Bose noise-canceling technology, folding earcups, in-line control and mic.

The active EQ and triport technology…I’m actually curious about what that ‘Active EQ’ implies because does it imply that they actually have some sort of DSP that modifies the sound when the, when the noise cancelling is engaged.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 21
Recently i also have bought the Bose Q25 and very glad with it. I was a little worried when I attached it to my amplifier. Very bad sound. But when i push on one of tree buttons for volume control at the cable the sound turned out normal.
The solution i have found is by sticking the plug of the cable not to the end. Or you can attach something on the buttons that pushes them in.
I am not allowed here to send a link, so i just cut and paste it over here:
"The headphones with mic aren't compatible with the only headphone jack. The headphones with mic used with phone has 4 step. The standard configuration is either CTIA or OMTP. The tip is audio L, next step is audio right, 3rd step is ground (or may be mic) and 4th step is mic (or ground).
On the other hand the headphone jack only compatible with 3 pin, audio L, audio R and ground.
The reason you get horrible sound because of those last two steps. When you press the mic button, it shorts the ground with mic which intern makes your headset act like earphone without mic.
You need to get a 4pin to 3 pin spliter.
Another simple solution which works for me is to not push the plug all the way in. Slowly push it inwards and find the place where both the left and the right channels are receiving audio.
Or get a rubber band and put it on the remote to keep the button pressed. I just put a small binder clip over the microphone button, keeping it permanently pressed. Problem is most new ear bud come with the microphone, so you may have to shop around."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back