Bose QC2 & iPOd?
Apr 15, 2004 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone using the QC2 and an iPod? If so do you keep the EQ Flat (Way to Bassy) or use Bass Reducer?(Still good amount of bass. Just about as much as Sony V6)

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 14
I am using it. I turn off the equilizer most of the time. Sometimes I used Jazz for listening to accoustic jazz.

To use bass booster will cause too much bass for QC2.

Jerry
cebooks.blogspot.com

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 14
It's just a little OT, but I use the Bose QC2s wtih my Sony MZ-N707 MD portable and with my Sony D-NE300 PDCP. I also use them at home when it gets noisy, in conjunction with my Behringer DEQ2497 and my Corda HA1. In each application, I take down the bass a little, especially in the 100 hertz area. The sound quality improves dramatically as you take the QC2 bass down a little, maybe about 3 or 4 db at 100 hertz, IMHO.

BTW, headroom measurements show the QC2 bass extension to be exceptional, clear down to 20 hz. So the initial poster's comparison with the V6 bass is apt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
Useless.

Hehehe.. perhaps... I really meant it though, I like the sound of the QC2... but it's more on par with $150 headphones for the way they sound. So if they were selling it at that price, even $200.. I would probably have bought one.

For $299 though, I got my CD3000 used for $310. Can't justify that...

I mean, you can always bring noise cancellation into the argument here... but.. it's just a tough decision.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 14
That's better.
wink.gif

Believe me, I tried like hell for 90 days (the no-questions-asked return period) to find something to fit its purpose better. For what I was looking for, it's just not out there, and I needed it if I was going to enjoy my equipment the way I wanted to. I admit it, I love my QC2s!!! I've got better sounding phones coming out my ears, so to speak, but they're not high isolation, comfortable, and portable. The sound is easy enough to get into the hifi range if you have good EQ to take down the bass. The original poster was dead-on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Hehehe.. perhaps... I really meant it though, I like the sound of the QC2... but it's more on par with $150 headphones for the way they sound. So if they were selling it at that price, even $200.. I would probably have bought one.

For $299 though, I got my CD3000 used for $310. Can't justify that...

I mean, you can always bring noise cancellation into the argument here... but.. it's just a tough decision.

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Does the qc2's active noise cancellation do anything for more directed sound like talking or is it strictly limited to low level constant noise?

I am trying to decide between this and an ety/superdual combo which would work out to the same price, but I need the one that would work best for the office environment.(and some in bed listening)

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Point A is that ETY sound quality is much higher... know that going in. Convenience and comfort issues were too much for me to overcome with the ETYs though.

With QC2s, talking noise is substantially reduced but not nearly so much as constant noise. At home with a 3-year-old and a one-year-old and the TV and radio and heater and dishwasher and washing machine and dryer running, I am usually able to tune out my entire environment and focus strictly on the music, as long as I am in a room by myself. Even with the bath/shower running in an adjacent room with the door open I don't notice it... I have to get up and see if anyone's in there. If someone's talking softly nearby in the same room and I am immersed in the music, I won't notice it. However, if someone is talking loudly in the same room, you're going to hear that through any headphone, as far as I know, including the QC2s. QC2s are wonderful for lying down.

Quote:

Originally posted by raif
Does the qc2's active noise cancellation do anything for more directed sound like talking or is it strictly limited to low level constant noise?

I am trying to decide between this and an ety/superdual combo which would work out to the same price, but I need the one that would work best for the office environment.(and some in bed listening)

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 14
Wow, a relatively positive topic about a Bose product. I guess there are a few brave souls crawling out of the wood work that enjoy these phones. Add me to the list. Simply put, if you want portability, comfort, and isolation, there really isn't any other choice out there. I discovered that the hard way. My circle of headphones goes like this:

- Owned QC2s, liked them, came to HeadFi, thought I could do much better, sold them.

- Bought Audio Technica ATH-A900s based on recommendation here. Sold them because they were too bulky and uncomfortable (to me).

- Bought Shure E3c, liked them, but none of the tips seemed to fit me right. Medium tips wouldn't seal properly, Large tips sealed properly but kept popping out. Sold them.

- Bought Sony MDR-V900s. Liked sound and bass, were fairly portable, not comfortable enough.

- Bought Beyerdynamic DT770s. Great sound, good comfort. I thought these were "the ones," but really needed an amp for proper volume. Clamping force on my head was fatiguing after a while. Took them back.

- Bought new set of QC2s from Crutchfield for $279 shipped after coupon code. Very light, unbelievable comfort (most of the time, I can't even tell they're on), portable with case, very good sound (in my opinion).

It was nice trying out all these different phones, but if comfort is key to you, it will be hard to live with anything else after owning/trying the QC2s. Other phones definitely sound better, but nothing can compare to the QC2s for a combination of comfort, weight, portability, and surprisingly good sound. That said, I'll agree they are pricey, but I have no regrets.

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 14
QC2 of headphones is perhaps like the Ipod of mp3 players: they're overpriced for what they offer in terms of SQ, but there is a price to be paid for the quietness and comfort (thus the name
tongue.gif
), much like how you pay for style and compactness in an ipod.
That being said, I'd never buy an Ipod.

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Could not agree more, with Bose QC2 OWNER (not hearsay analyst) satisfaction rating almost always high, Bose even put some Quite Comfort name cards (courtesy card) into the box, just incase of somebody asking the name and model of the headphone.

In the card is stated:
"Our Customers tell us they are often asked about their Bose QuietComfort2 Accoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones. For your convinience, we are providing this handy courtesy card for you to pass along"

And it is indeed, many of my friends ask about this headphones, and blow their mind when they try it.

Moreover, as a bonus, QC2 carrying case is a bonus for iPod owner. Since we can put our iPod into the case safely.

Jerry

Apr 17, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 14
I cant believe my simple question brought out so many in the closet Bose QC2 owners. I just wish the iPod had a custom EQ to rally bring out the best in theses phones. Bose should make the same phone w/o the noise caneling feature and use them as there Triports and get rid of the hollow echoey Triports that now exist. How would that be for decent portable sound with comfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back