Bose or ???
Feb 16, 2006 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Mocan50

Head-Fier
i own the bose tri-port and i love them to death
but they are wearing out very very fast and i could get another pair but
i need some help.

is there something out there better than the tri-ports??

i dont like the fake bass of lots of those cheap headphones and the bose headphones dont have that they have very natural sounding bass.

i really would appriciate any help thanks
George.

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 97
Bose or Death - I choose death.
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

On a serious note though - what is your price range? What music do you listen to? Do you want open or closed or IEM's???

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 97
Almost most of the headphones discussed here are better than the triports IMO.

It might be helpful if you give more information about your music preference, budget, sound isolation preference, whether you want an IEM, earbud, clip on, circumaural, supraural. Also what source you are using, and how portable you want them to be.

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 97
This is somewhat of a touchy subject here, if you did a search there are dozens of these exact type of threads here. But here are a few suggestions for cans that have an excellent price to performance ratio, Sennheiser HD580, Alessandro MS1, and Grado SR60. If you are a bass head though you might also want to consider the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 97
Several Bose threads in the same day? This gotta be a gimmick.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, Bose is not highly regarded on head-fi, for obvious reasons. Tell us your preferences and there's lots of Bose-haters / headphone lovers willing to help you.

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 97
??? all the way!

Feb 16, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 97
I think all these bose posts lately, are members joining Head-fi with different user names, just to get under our skin!!
rolleyes.gif

Oh!! If you really are a new member, get ready for a big suprise, because there are $20 headphones that will blow those triports out the door!!
eek.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I think all these bose posts lately, are members joining Head-fi with different user names, just to get under our skin!!
rolleyes.gif

Why let it get under your skin? That's like letting the fact that someone really likes chopped "steak" who's never had filet mignon get under your skin. Folks never exposed just don't know better. If you rely on the mass media to get your information (on any subject), most likely you *don't* know better. Nothing to get upset about, just another opportunity to educate!

George, Bose is not thought of highly in audio circles because it tends toward hype and marketing rather than quality sound. While there have certainly been *some* Bose products of merit (various iterations of the 901s come to mind), they are almost always over-hyped and over-priced due to Bose having to cover their enormous marketing expenses (I could make the same statement about most "high end" audio cables, but won't
tongue.gif
).

So, if you'll let us know what your needs are, the folks here can point you in at least a dozen directions that will give you superior sound quality at a lower price than the Bose triports.

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!!
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocan50

Anything by fisher price should fit the bill, you can pick them up in toys-r-us.

On a serious note some Audio-Technica A500 for $100 should be similar to what you are used too, only a lot better sounding, even better would be the A900 for $200.

Feb 16, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 97
If you're dead set on spending $150 on stylish cans, I've been spending a little time with the ATH ES7. They're audio-technica supra-aural (they rest on your ear) and they have a nice mirror finish. I think that in direct comparison to a Triport, they have a similar forward lower midrange, but these do absolutely everything better... and have a FAR cleaner higher end.

You can get them for $137 on bluetin.com, or $150 on Audiocubes.com

There are TONS of better headphones than the Triport. Some are very expensive, some are less than half the price of a Triport. If you think the bose bass is lifelike and realistic, you haven't heard anything yet.

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 97
Well, starting with the KSC-75 at $12, I think almost all the popular headphones on this forum are better than the Triport. Try the HD 555 if you'd like to be blown away by an improvement in sound quality (for $40 less, to boot!)

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocan50
i own the bose tri-port and i love them to death
but they are wearing out very very fast and i could get another pair but
i need some help.

i dont like the fake bass of lots of those cheap headphones and the bose headphones dont have that they have very natural sounding bass.

i really would appriciate any help thanks
George.

Let me answer to the best of my ability.

1. I am sorry.

2. Yes, anything out there in that outrageous price range is way BETTER than the Triports.

3. I can recommend you the Sennheiser HD-201. These are the Sennheiser response to the Triports: about same size, same comfort and weight, same comfy pleather pads, and a much stronger headband.

Still, the Senn HD-201 sound better than the Triports, hold much better on higher volumes, and are more rugged and durable than the flimsy Triports.

The price of the Senn HD-201? About $17.50 at J&R, or about $20 everywhere else. The Triports still cost $150. You do the math.

I hope it helps.
tongue.gif
For more info, check out this pro review of the HD-201 from our good friends at headphone.com:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-201.php

(PS: Sennheiser has released a bunch of new headphones in the same size and category, the HD-205, HD-415 and HD-435. They look great, but I haven't seen any reviews yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back