Bose Noise-Masking Sleepbuds
Dec 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Pro-Jules

1000+ Head-Fier
So I snore rally bad.

It's an issue that can cause friction between my partner and I.

I am a fan of Bose gear so we got some on Amazon to trial.

These don't noise cancel they "noise mask"

Day 2 going pretty good.

She likes the waves sounds.

And the smallest eartips fit her well.

Thet are a bit fiddly to get started with. The ear buds are so tiny (so you dont hurt your ears when sleeping on your side.)

The charging box stores charge for trips away

Pros:
great design
The masking works for my partner

Cons:
so small you might lose one
No noise cancelling

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 15
I thought about purchasing those myself, but Bose did a massive recall (I believe) or they just issued money back because after like a year or two, the vast majority of those buds just die. Something with the battery.

Oct 23, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 15
Definitely wouldn't say the vast majority were bad, no evidence of that, but the charging issues were common. Part of the issue was the buds didn't lock firmly into place in the case, so it was easy to have them misaligned and not charge. Mine still work ok.
The second version has just been released.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 15
I was thinking why not get a wired iem, and just loop the white noise materials like nature sounds, or real white or pink noise. I think that's all they really do (if I'm not mistaken.).

Get something tiny like the one imaged below, and just connected to a player that loops noise drowning sounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Ururtm-Headp...7095a3d7ac6&pd_rd_wg=P2jQS&pd_rd_i=B07J9ZYJS1
51X0aZNxnTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Personally, I use disposable foam earplugs. They are good for couple uses, and the 1st and 2nd time isolates the best, and after about 3 usage, they do not isolate well (due to foam memory from the extended foam compression), so you have to keep replacing them. Thankfully, you can get a year's supply for like $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable-Earplugs-200-Pairs/dp/B0007XJOLG?th=1

These are the most comfortable earplugs you can get.

I have also slept with headphones with noise cancelling in places I heard vehicle noises, and ANC works extremely well to rid of vehicle noise. In flights for example, it works to drown out aircraft engine noise for sleeping.

Personally, I think a good ANC sleeping wireless earphones are warranted. The problem with Bose Sleepbuds is the fact that it's not ANC, but just white noise to drown out minor surrounding noises. Also, the battery life in the small packages are difficult, and hope they get the battery life to last 10 hours or more. Because we know battery life reduces over many usage cycles.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 15
Personally, I use disposable foam earplugs. They are good for couple uses, and the 1st and 2nd time isolates the best, and after about 3 usage, they do not isolate well (due to foam memory from the extended foam compression), so you have to keep replacing them. Thankfully, you can get a year's supply for like $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable-Earplugs-200-Pairs/dp/B0007XJOLG?th=1

These are the most comfortable earplugs you can get.

I have also slept with headphones with noise cancelling in places I heard vehicle noises, and ANC works extremely well to rid of vehicle noise. In flights for example, it works to drown out aircraft engine noise for sleeping.

Personally, I think a good ANC sleeping wireless earphones are warranted. The problem with Bose Sleepbuds is the fact that it's not ANC, but just white noise to drown out minor surrounding noises. Also, the battery life in the small packages are difficult, and hope they get the battery life to last 10 hours or more. Because we know battery life reduces over many usage cycles.

That's a good idea. For me, I'm especially interested in the alarm feature. I've got a little Google home speaker that'll play white noise for me for a couple hours as I fall asleep and I usually sleep decently well through noise. Actually, that's the problem - I sleep a little too well through noise. I figure having the alarm feature of the Bose sleep buds will keep me from sleeping through my alarms.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 15
That's a good idea. For me, I'm especially interested in the alarm feature. I've got a little Google home speaker that'll play white noise for me for a couple hours as I fall asleep and I usually sleep decently well through noise. Actually, that's the problem - I sleep a little too well through noise. I figure having the alarm feature of the Bose sleep buds will keep me from sleeping through my alarms.
It sounds like you are in deep stages of sleep during the end portion of your sleep duration. I thought deep stages were early on, and then it tapers off, and you are easily awakened as time goes on. I've also heard that there are several sleep cycles that goes on during sleep, and there's various deep points throughout the night. Not sure which is the correct one. All I know is, it's the deep sleep that really matters when it comes to cleansing of our mind and our physical recovery. Well, at least that's what they tell us, who knows what will eventually be considered the truth. Only time will tell.

I can wake with the alarm next to me, since the alarm is so distinct and louder than the earplug reduction or ambient noise. I've know people that cannot wake even with alarm that goes off however.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 15
Glad to hear somebody discussing these! I’m totally dependent on them. I use them every night, and my sleep quality has gone up tremendously since I got them. My pets make a lot of noise, and I was always waking up. These drown out the noise completely. The nature sounds are seemingly super low-res, but I like the noise-masking options.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 15
Sharing my story here (quite personal, but I hope it helps someone). I have been struggling with condition that makes it very difficult for me to sleep with anyone in the room (I can't sleep if I hear another person in the room), so as you can imagine, I have to sleep with something masking the sound. As a kid, I used to sleep with my walkman, later with a CD player, and then for many years with an MP3 player or an iPod, but it was never isolating enough. Once I started earning income, I went and purchased CIEMs (with ear impressions so that they fit perfectly). It wasn't until Bose released their Sleepods that my comfort increased. Their masking tracks are "good enough" for my condition, not as good as music playing in my perfect isolating CIEMs, but close enough. I was too affected by their v1 battery issues (before they recalled), but since all of this is live/death level of an issue for me, I have purchased already my 7th pair of Sleepods. The new (v2) generation claims to have fixed the battery issues, so let's see. Definitely can recommend!

May 19, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 15
I snore, and my wife had the v1 buds with the battery issue. We didn't think anything off it, and left them in the draw. About a month ago my wife googled sleep pods v1 and battery and saw that they were recalled. Gave Bose a call and they replaced them for no charge. We didn't have a receipt and they hadn't been registered.

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Gonna resurrect this thread... Somewhat ironically, this is only the second pair of "headphones" I've bought brand new. Hope these things work as well as I hear they do. I got the V2.

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 15
Let me know how they turn out - I noticed the V2 have been getting significantly better reviews than the first gen.
Welp, I don't want to disappoint on an update. They were okay, but not ~$200 worth. I'm a side-sleeper, so they didn't gel with that. The fit was finicky, but I'm used to IEMs, so it wasn't bad. They need some kind of way that the user can feel the case, to orient the sliding case. I used the charging port, but I can help but feel something purposeful would be better.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 15
My V2 sleepbuds battery died shortly after the warranty ended and I don’t feel like fighting Bose to try to get more than the $20 discount they offered for a new pair. They weren’t all that great, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back