Bose In-Ear Earphones or Shure Sound Isolating Headphones
Apr 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

al0ne

New Head-Fier
I have Bose In-Ear Earphones and I want to buy another one
I'm thinking about Shure Sound Isolating Headphones (SE115)
I found (SE102), (SE530), (SE115) and (SE310)
but some of them are Expensive ,like the SE530 is 599.99 CAD
but I don't know if it's worth it or not

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 19
BOSE doesn't deserve to have it's name in the same sentence as Shure. You can find the Shure SE530's for about $260 on Amazon. The SE530's dances circles around any BOSE products.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 19
You can get Shure SE530 a lot less than that if you surf around. And you will be amazed by the SE530 compared to the Bose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit : Ah, Voltag3 beat me to it.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 19
There are a lot of very nice phones for the price you paid for the Bose In Ears unless you got them on sale. In Canada they are retailing for $130CAN, for $180CAN you can pick up a pair of Monster Turbines which have very nice bass (assuming you like the bass of the Bose) that is just about as big as the Bose but WAY MORE CONTROLLED and you will also get better midrange and the treble is simply so much better than Bose it's not really comparable. (by the way I own Bose in ears as well and don't HATE them so I am not taking an anti-Bose stance, it's just that I also own a couple of other IEM's that do sound better). If you want even higher end sound then you can go to the Shure 530 from a US distributor as others have mentioned. But if your wanting to stay under $200CAN the Turbines are easy to buy (Future Shop) and sound great. If you want a different name brand you can also get Klipsch from London Drugs but they do not seem to ever have any sales on them other than the Custom 1's which I don't think you will like coming from the Bose and at $200 for the Custom 2's I can't say from experience whether they are better or not but I have seen posters on this board say they sent back Custom 2 and Custom 3 Klipsch's but have kept the Monster Turbine's.

The bottom line is the Shure line of phones (minus the SE115) all use what is called a balanced armature driver (the big model 530 has 3 drivers in each earphone) which have very fine detail capabilities. Your current Bose phones and the SE115, and the Monster Turbine phones I am talking about use what is called a dynamic driver which is bigger and the one speaker produces all of the sound for the phones. The problem with dynamic speakers is that many will have a weakness in their sound because the one speaker has to do everything plus they often have trouble keeping up with very intricate music. Having said that several manufacturers as of late are coming out with really well designed dynamic based phones, Sennhieser IE8 are one of the premier phones out and they are dynamic based. Monster's Turbine phones are one of the better dynamic driver phones IMO and they do very well in almost all areas. I can almost guarantee you that if you go and buy a pair you will be BLOWN AWAY by the quality of their sound in comparison to your Bose. The good news is if you don't like them and you bought them at Future Shop you can take them back within 14 days
smily_headphones1.gif
). So go take a pair for a test drive, you have nothing to lose other than $180 when you find out how much you like them
darthsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 19
don't bother suggesting bose here. flames will get you.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 19
Not all of us hate Bose, but I will recommend something better when I have experience with both products.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 19
Among my first headphones were the bose tripath. After they arrived home I cried about the money I spent (lost). That is all. No hard feelings about Bose, however, they are not so good as many others even more cheap.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 19
Well, I guess I will have to be the sheep among the goats here, but I like Bose IE's, I regret having recently gotten rid of the pair I owned, and will purchase another pair as soon as I can save up enough for them. I have no regrets spending money for Bose in-ears. But even if I had an extra $500 sitting around somewhere, I am NOT going to throw it away on a pair of earphones. The sound quality of any name who charges that much cannot possible be that much better than the terrific sound quality of the Bose. Certainly not to the point that it would justify flushing that much money down the toilet.

On a final note about this, please be aware, that there are a lot of phones out there which are a lot worse than Bose. I honestly do not believe that Bose deserves this bad reputation that everyone here is giving them. Go pick on a REALLY lousy pair of earphones, like how about the earphones (or earbuds) that Apple includes with their products. Those are CRAP.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 19
If your ears like them, that is all that matters. However, a lot of us are turned off by Bose products over the years because they are huge into marketing and charge way to much for the performance levels. They are a bad thing for the audio industry.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your ears like them, that is all that matters.

I find that statement to be a bit flawed, because the great majority of us were likely happy with what we heard through those generic earbuds and almost-no name MP3 players before eventually reaching our destination (Head-Fi).

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that statement to be a bit flawed, because the great majority of us were likely happy with what we heard through those generic earbuds and almost-no name MP3 players before eventually reaching our destination (Head-Fi).

On second thought, you are right about that so I agree. It is hard to know if something is really good if you if have never heard it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back