Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Aug 2, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 164
not an audiophille myself but yes Bose is crap
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #17 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Grados, to be completely different, lacked detail - that's just what I found in a couple of demos of them. I know certain songs very well, and I know when there's something significant missing the vocals. I also didn't find a great deal of impact with them, but I wouldn't necessarily call them boring like the Beyer's either.

But, although it's completely my opinion, none of the headphones I've tried really have the impact of my speakers (again, my very basic speakers in my target stereo and my car). Perhaps I'm just expecting to much out of headphones...Bose headphones lacked a very slight amount of detail somewhere, but at least they gave the music some body and impact.

Wow, that's an extreme opinion of Grados... Grados definitely have the most impact of any headphone I've ever tried, and are quite detailed to boot. Nothing I've tried out of any other manufacturer has come close to the Grado sound, except for maybe Koss.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
B0se headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?

Acclaim_Images_0018-0603-2016-3259.jpg

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 164
Quote:

This is all just my personal opinion, but I feel that my Beyer 250-80's (which I bought new, and own) lack authority in the music. It's very laid back - sucks the excitement right out of songs. My ksc-75's have great detail, but they really lack impact.

Grados, to be completely different, lacked detail - that's just what I found in a couple of demos of them. I know certain songs very well, and I know when there's something significant missing the vocals. I also didn't find a great deal of impact with them, but I wouldn't necessarily call them boring like the Beyer's either.

But, although it's completely my opinion, none of the headphones I've tried really have the impact of my speakers (again, my very basic speakers in my target stereo and my car). Perhaps I'm just expecting to much out of headphones...Bose headphones lacked a very slight amount of detail somewhere, but at least they gave the music some body and impact.

Paul, can't say that I agree with you, but you're absolutely right: they're your ears. One question, though, how are you amping your phones, if at all?

EDIT to stay somehwat on topic
wink.gif
: I also find the Bose phones comfy. And I don't hate them, they're just way, WAY overpriced.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac
...Grados definitely have the most impact of any headphone I've ever tried...

See the bolded text for the reason. :) The only headphone I own which has some noticable impact is the AKG k81dj's...anyways, my point that I don't find that headphones have a lot of impact. Some are downright terrible, while others are "ok, since I don't have anything better". Or maybe I'm just a basshead and I don't realize it or something .

I still stand by my opinion about the detail level on the SR-325's that I tried, though.

I bought a TotalBithead for amping, but after using it for a while I found I often prefer the sound directly from my laptop. I'm considering ordering and trying a supermacro...but that's completely off-topic... :)

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 164
Wee, now this is my kind of thread!
tongue.gif

Check out my sig for all the info and hardcore facts about Bose.

KSC75 + PA2V2 > Triport
$75 > $150

0_o

imo, of course
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #23 of 164
Quote:

Actually...I tried the quiet comfort 2's again the other day and it got me thinking. My problem with a lot of the headphones that are recommended here is that they often produce detailed music which lacks body and impact. That's something I *always* get from speakers - and I mean the crappy stock speakers in my car, and the $500 Target stereo system I have.

But Bose headphones actually had some body to their sound, and it was nice to hear that from headphones again.

You don't even know what you are talking about. You really believe that your $500 Target stereo is superior to high fi headphones? You also believe that your Bose headphones have this same superior sound.

You should just turn around and walk out of this place, obviously your ears cannot be modded to accept good audio. Enjoy living on the cheap, your wallet will be much happier.

BTW: I listened to the Tri-ports at an Apple store, they are by far some of the worst headphones I have ever heard. Yes they were comfortable (being made of thin plastic, with pleather pads), but comfort for bad sound quality is worthless. My K601's are equal as far as comfort, but they sound like a great headphone. Not like a piece of @$$. Honestly the sound out of the $20 KSC75 is far superior than that of the Tri-Port.

Goodbye

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 164
IMHO the word "Bose" should be permanently stricken from this site.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 164
So I don't have my own cans yet, but all I've tried are the triports at the Apple store, and yes they were very comfortable. Sure people say they're cheap looking and made poorly, but they're comfortable! That's why they sell so well, because people want a set of comfortable headphones to go with their ipod, and they look halfway decent. I'm really trying to find a comfortable set of headphones with good quality. I've looked at the K81 djs (the huge thread) and it looks like they're supposed to sound amazing, but I'm also reading a lot about discomfort issues. Sure they might sound good, but if I'm gonna be bringing these things with me everywhere with my mp3 player, I'm not gonna want my ears in pain after a bit of listening. Good sounding or not, I need comfort. Is there no headphone out there that provides both in that price range?

I am newbie at headphones, I'm sure you can tell. But When I tried on the triports I thought that's exactly what I want. I haven't heard anything else either. They're all packaged up at the store anyways and I can't even try them on. So I would love something exactly like that triport but with good sound quality. I donno, I'm just really having troubles picking a headphone out. I've been researching for hours. It seems like there's always some type of flaw in all of them. Supposably some of the open headphones (the triports are closed right?.. sounded pretty isolated to me) are pretty good, but I don't wanna hear everyone and have them hear my music, so that's sorta outta the question also. So what is there for good quality, comfortable headphones in this price range? Isn't there just some perfect headphone out there? Sorry, I'm sorta getting off the topic but I'm sick of looking everywhere for good headphones and am about to settle for crappy triports. Thanks,

Doug

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #26 of 164
About a year ago, on a whim, I bought a pair of Bose QC2's in the Las vegas airport for a flight back to Chicago, since Bose offered a money back guarantee, I figured I'd check them out on the 3 hour flight.

They do a good job cancelling jet noise, but not as good as the isolation provided by an IEM. And the QC2's don't block out the screaming baby next to you at all, whereas IEMs help with that too.

But worst, the QC2's are so incredibly eneven sounding from a frequency response perspective that I found them un-enjoyable. They are no where near neutral or flat. They are tailored to a response that some folks at Bose thinks people will like. And I guess some people do. But not me. I hated them. I took them back the next day and got a refund, and ordered some Westone UM2's, which are the same price, and are better in every conceivable way for airplane use than the QC2 -- most importantly, in the SOUND.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #28 of 164
To me the Triports were very comfortable and lightweight, But the bulid quality is of a cheap-o headphone. Even before I knew much I even said to myself this ain't that great, "Even the cables are thin compared to the ones on my Sonys" is what I said to myself. The sound quality was alright, I mean better then bundled earbuds but they sounded more like $30-40 headphones.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #29 of 164
I don't have much to add here except to say I saw something funny at the library today. A high school-looking student was wearing QC2's and he had them hooked up to an old fashioned tape recorder - the old kind with just one speaker.

I don't know what he was doing but it was a funny visual. Pricey Bose headphones and an old beat up tape recorder. Ironic and kind of appropriate I guess....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back