Bose headphones...overpriced and crappy sound?
Aug 1, 2006 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 164

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
I just want to know what the headfiers here think of Bose headphones. I have personally owned the Triports and the QC2s. I haven't tried the QC3s yet, but will in the coming weeks. Although the sound quality is very average and the headphones are very overpriced, I am very satisfied with their comfort level. I can wear my Triports for an 8 hour day without feeling any discomfort. Have any of you guys owned Bose headphones before? If so, what do you guys think?

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 164
put on your jacket to defend against the **** storm.
tongue.gif

There is alot of anti bose attitude around here. I like the comfort of the tri ports, but i rather the sound coming out of the KSC75s i have on now.

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 164
The triports that I tried at a local Target weren't that bad-sounding, but certainly nowhere near as good as my SR-60s, and significantly more expensive.

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 164
Eh...

i'm too old for this.
k1000smile.gif

(search functoin on forum, it contains many undiscovered truths)

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 164
I tried the tri-ports at the last NYC meet with my iriver H140. It sounded very hollow and unfocused.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
I just want to know what the headfiers here think of Bose headphones. I have personally owned the Triports and the QC2s. I haven't tried the QC3s yet, but will in the coming weeks. Although the sound quality is very average and the headphones are very overpriced, I am very satisfied with their comfort level. I can wear my Triports for an 8 hour day without feeling any discomfort. Have any of you guys owned Bose headphones before? If so, what do you guys think?

Hi Glory,
This issue has been thrashed about with great frequency on Headfi, which explains the tenor of some of the posts on this thread.

To answer your question, I agree with you 100%. I bought triports before I knew anything about headphones. I was very happy with the comfort, and not altogether unsatistsfied with the sound until I purchased a better source and better headphones. Then, I knew I'd paid too much for the Triports.

I've never tried the Quiet Comfort line, but I have no doubt they are very comfortable, and probably sound pretty good. For that kind of money, however, there are many other options that will give you better sound quality for listening to music. The later opinion comes from reading reviews by people I trust, rather than from personal experience.

Aug 1, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 164
i agree that the triports are very comfortable and light. i tried a pair on at my local circuit city but didn't turn any music on. imo, a grado with hd414 is just as comfortable.

yeah, i've never tried any circumaural cans..

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
The triports that I tried at a local Target weren't that bad-sounding, but certainly nowhere near as good as my SR-60s, and significantly more expensive.

No, but then again, just because the sound that comes out of them isn't hurting your ears doesn't mean it's good either.
wink.gif
I tried the triports once and yes, they were comfortable, but I thought the contruction was more like that of a $20 headphone, and the sound more like that of a $30 headphone. Certainly not even close to KSC-35/75/50 quality sound.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 164
Actually...I tried the quiet comfort 2's again the other day and it got me thinking. My problem with a lot of the headphones that are recommended here is that they often produce detailed music which lacks body and impact. That's something I *always* get from speakers - and I mean the crappy stock speakers in my car, and the $500 Target stereo system I have.

But Bose headphones actually had some body to their sound, and it was nice to hear that from headphones again.

Aug 1, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Actually...I tried the quiet comfort 2's again the other day and it got me thinking. My problem with a lot of the headphones that are recommended here is that they often produce detailed music which lacks body and impact. That's something I *always* get from speakers - and I mean the crappy stock speakers in my car, and the $500 Target stereo system I have.

But Bose headphones actually had some body to their sound, and it was nice to hear that from headphones again.

I find this hard to swallow. Do Beyers and Sennheisers lack body? Do Grados and Koss lack impact?

But I do agree that Bose headphones sound similar to a mediocre car stereo or mini system.
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 164
The Triports are comfy, but my PX-100 blows them out of the water in terms of sound quality (at a 1/3 the price).

I actually find my HD-580 more comfortable than the Triports... I won't get into the sound quality difference, so as to not turn this into too much of a Bose-bashing post
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 164
Cheap looking and construction, fragile, bloated sound.... can't say anything good about the Triports
frown.gif
And yet they are sooooo expensive (could almost pick up a pair of HD595)
EDIT: Oh... I don't own these, but have heard them many times in local stores.
They are quite comfortable though, but below Sennheiser HD570/590s.

Aug 2, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimothy
I find this hard to swallow. Do Beyers and Sennheisers lack body? Do Grados and Koss lack impact?

But I do agree that Bose headphones sound similar to a mediocre car stereo or mini system.
biggrin.gif

This is all just my personal opinion, but I feel that my Beyer 250-80's (which I bought new, and own) lack authority in the music. It's very laid back - sucks the excitement right out of songs. My ksc-75's have great detail, but they really lack impact.

Grados, to be completely different, lacked detail - that's just what I found in a couple of demos of them. I know certain songs very well, and I know when there's something significant missing the vocals. I also didn't find a great deal of impact with them, but I wouldn't necessarily call them boring like the Beyer's either.

But, although it's completely my opinion, none of the headphones I've tried really have the impact of my speakers (again, my very basic speakers in my target stereo and my car). Perhaps I'm just expecting to much out of headphones...Bose headphones lacked a very slight amount of detail somewhere, but at least they gave the music some body and impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back