bose headphones, any good?
May 5, 2003 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

spott

Head-Fier
I haven't heard anything about bose headphones anywhere in these forums or on headroom. If you know anything about them it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

May 5, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 30
ah newbies. how cute.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 30
Confucius say: "Friends don't let friends buy Bose"

Or something like that...
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 30
*spies the assembling head-fi'ers in the distance carrying torches and pitch forks and rounds them up* Everyone, take your formations and charge on my mark! Ready?

flame.gif
happydevil.gif
BOSE FLAME WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happydevil.gif
flame.gif

May 5, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by spott
I haven't heard anything about bose headphones anywhere in these forums or on headroom.

That's right; Headroom will never sell Bose headphones - for the very same reasons that had made Headroom not carry any Sony products. You see, Bose is even more evil than Sony: Headroom would be forced to carry the ENTIRE line of Bose products - loudspeakers and LifeStyle systems - that Headroom has absolutely no interest whatsoever of carrying. In addition, Bose requires that Headroom show pictures of Bose products in color (on both Headroom's catalog and on their Web site), and Headroom would be required to charge full MSRP for Bose products at all times!
very_evil_smiley.gif
At least Sony does allow Headroom to select some of their better-performing headphones, even though the headphone vendor would still be forced to carry certain other Sony products that are of little or no interest to them.

And I think either Tyll or Todd had heard the TriPorts - which is one of only two Bose headphones available to consumers (the other being the QuietComfort noise-cancelling headphones) - once, and thought that they sounded wretched for the price (though neither had ever mentioned it here).

May 5, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 30
On a little side note...

Here is something you can use a Bose product for if you end up not liking it.
I have made very good use from a very old Bose subwoofer. I don't even know where I got the sub from. Anyways, I tore the speaker box appart and ripped out the driver. I now use that driver for a book end, which I might add, makes a very good one. And because I think a speaker driver is a work of art in itself, the driver book ends make for a very stylish looking bookshelf
biggrin.gif

You guys should try this with other Bose speakers.
Thanx Bose
evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
That's right; Headroom will never sell Bose headphones - for the very same reasons that had made Headroom not carry any Sony products. You see, Bose is even more evil than Sony: Headroom would be forced to carry the ENTIRE line of Bose products - loudspeakers and LifeStyle systems - that Headroom has absolutely no interest whatsoever of carrying. In addition, Bose requires that Headroom show pictures of Bose products in color (on both Headroom's catalog and on their Web site), and Headroom would be required to charge full MSRP for Bose products at all times!
very_evil_smiley.gif
At least Sony does allow Headroom to select some of their better-performing headphones, even though the headphone vendor would still be forced to carry certain other Sony products that are of little or no interest to them.

And I think either Tyll or Todd had heard the TriPorts - which is one of only two Bose headphones available to consumers (the other being the QuietComfort noise-cancelling headphones) - once, and thought that they sounded wretched for the price (though neither had ever mentioned it here).

Sheesh no wonder nobody likes Bose here.. Are they a quality company though? Because I know Sony would just about go as low as getting some used sweat socks and call them revolutionary sound technology. If Bose really are a bunch of greedy mongrels, go for Pioneer. Their vintage headphones are beautiful, I just recieved some SE-700's off ebay and they sound exponentially better than my Sony CD780's... and these thing were oringally sold in 1978!

May 5, 2003 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

You see, Bose is even more evil than Sony:

Indeed, at least sony has had its hits. Sony has the potential at least to make great products, as we have seen over the years with just about everything. Bose on the other hand, just does not apply themselves, making them the most evil of all audio manufactures.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 30
See, it’s this way. Bose’s philosophy is better “sound” through marketing. No other audio company buys infomercials and that should tell you something about the way they spend their money. Also, no well regarded audio review publication bothers with reviewing Bose; the reason? The review will undoubtedly be negative given the price/performance ratio.

It’s a marketing driven company.

On the other hand, Sony is simply a big conglomerate electronics and media company. Sure, most mass-market Sony products are bested by other products at the same price point. However, Sony has an active R&D department that does deliver real innovations and really good products (especially with their proprietary technology like SACD and MD).

May 5, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #13 of 30
Sorry Rizumu. What I meant was Bose sucks. Bose can wipe my ass and blow its nose on it while it chokes on the charred remains of your bose loving mother's burnt out, "so fat I rolled over twice and I was still on top of her" corpse.

(damn this flaming stuff is kind of fun, never really tried it before)

May 5, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #14 of 30
Silly goose.
smily_headphones1.gif
No need to flame.

*forgot he's not a mod on this forum*

Never mind. Flame on.

tongue.gif

Seriously, the new guy was just asking an honest question. Bose’s marketing fooled me when I was young. I even talked my parents into “upgrading” their speakers to Bose. There was no internet back then, and I was not into audio enough to know better.

You can do better than a $1200 Bose speaker system with a $500 Paradigm or PSB system. That makes Bose a poor value.

Knowledge is power, and just give the guy knowledge.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #15 of 30
Yeah goose, I mean c'mon give the newbie a break. Bose isn't all bad. The products are a bit overpriced due to the Bose preoccupation with marketing. They do sound better than a lot of stuff out there and they do have a certain styling to them that some people can appreciate. I tried the tri-ports before and they are damn comfy and while not as good as a lot of the cans discussed here, certainly do beat the pants of any stock headphones. They bottom line I guess is that most people here would rather have their money go into audiophile technology without having to pay for the huge marketing department that bose has. Also if you're looking for style bang and olufssen (sic?) have a lot groovier looking stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back