Bose headphone impressions from a Senn / Grado fan
Apr 26, 2005 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sonance

500+ Head-Fier
I was at the mall the other day and walked into the Bose store out of sheer boredom (women seem to take 100x longer in the mall than I do.) I've heard some negative comments about Bose gear before, and their tiny speakers do not impress me at all, but I spent some time listening to both the Tri-Ports and the Quiet Comfort headphones.
The first thing that struck me about the QC 'phones was that the noise cancelling did not seem to work too well, but I'll ignore that because the demo equipment may have been not set up right or maybe I expect too much from "noise cancelling" after using in ear monitors. The actual setup of the headphone with the swiveling and hinging is clever but somewhat clumsy on first use. I think Senns are more comfortable, but these beat out Grados (that's not saying much.) The sound quality was not bad, considering that they were driven directly from an iPod, on first listen. Once I found a track I knew, however, I noticed that it did not get the mid-range right the way the SR-225s or RS-1s do, and they do not have the headstage of Senns, nor their tonal balance through the freq range. Bass was acceptable, but lacking something, quite possibly due to the iPod, which is known to roll off the bass below a certain freq when used with headphones. I also noticed some typical closed-phones colorations but they do not hit you immediately the same way the lower end CD-series Sony headphones do. The more expensive headphones sounded generally better than the Tri-ports but the diff between them in sound quality was not as huge as the difference between their price tags.
They had a second listening station that I also listened at, firstly to make sure their wasnt something damaged or unusual about the first pair, and secondly to listen to their canned demos. The acoustic-sounding demo on the QC headphones was very impressive, and really showed off the headphones in their best light. Anyone know what that demo song is?
At the same time I couldn't help thinking that the RS-1s would REALLY knock one out of the park with a track like that, it's exactly what it does best.
In conclusion from my half-hour audition, with no access to a comparable pair of headphones, I was neither blown away nor was I disgusted (much to my surprise.)
I think these headphones fall short of the high end and they have noticable colorations, but they aren't horribly bad by any stretch.
(If anyone has heard the in-store Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones canned demo and knows what the song is, please send me a message!)

Apr 26, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 22
The phones you tried probably didn't have the correct burn-in... on the center rack at 400 degrees for ten hours.
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist in a moment of boredom.
redface.gif
I'm heading over to the mall now to find a Bose store. The other places I have seen their headphones sold didn't have them connected for listening. Usually, at least to my ears, equipment is never as good or as bad as claimed.

Apr 26, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 22
I think the biggest problem with Bose is how overpriced its products are. If Bose priced its products within reason, then its products likely would receive (slightly) less harsh criticism.

Apr 26, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 22
When I went to the bose store, on both the triports and QC2's I thought the bass sounded really weird. It sounded like weird distortion, but again, I wasn't familiar with the tracks used.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 22
- If I was to price the product according to what I thought was fair I would charge about... $50-$80 (street price) as I think this is comparable to a SR-60. Not that it sounds similar , they have very different chracteristics, but I think that's fair. I think The Monkey hits the nail on the head with his comment, these are overpriced but without price consideration I can't say theyre just horrible. They don't sound like pack-in headphones on a $20 Coby CD player sold at Wal-Mart.

- I find the bass strange on most closed headphones. For example the PX200 sounds VERY strange to me, because of it's closed nature. I liked that it was demo'd on an iPod because I know what the iPod sounds like and what it's bass is like, and I could find a few tracks I knew well.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 22
I would price the Triports at $40-$45. I don't think they're up to SR60 standards, but they are far more practical because of their size and better comfort. However, pricing isn't my only beef with them. The headband design is defective, and everyone that I know who's had one (3 people so far) had their headband break in under 3 months. This may be only disappointing in a $20 product, but it is infuriating in an $150 product. Bose needs to get these off the shelves and re-engineer them for better durability. Instead, they keep selling them as they are, and people keep buying them as they are. Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think it's the customer thats, um, broke, in this case.

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I suppose the question that I find most interesting is:

Would you take a free pair of Triports?
biggrin.gif

I would.

Well, as I have no need for them, no. Between the SR-404, SR-001, UM2, and HD590 I've got everything covered. If I had no headphones and these were going to be the first semi-decent pair, well, maybe. But only if I couldn't afford something better
icon10.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 22
I had a pair of Triports for about three months, and they never seemed fragile to me; definitely no sign of headband breakage. But then maybe it's because I babied them because I thought they were the holy grail of the sonic world.
plainface.gif
We ought to send a Head-Fi agent into a Bose store with all manner of audiophile headphones under his/her jacket, and compare them all to the Triports and QC's (although I believe the QC's are just Triports with noise cancellation), then we'll extract him/her and have a full comparison.

No! Even better - a Bose store Head-Fi meet! It would be like angels marching into hell.

EDIT: About the strange-sounding bass on the Triport, I heard it too when I had them (I compared them to my PortaPros out of an Onkyo receiver and found the PortaPros to have clearer midrange and more detail
biggrin.gif
That was when the Bose brainwashing was washed away.) Anyway, in the Triport manual it tells you to disable any bass enhancement because "the Triport headphone naturally enhances the bass" or something like that. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

More thoughts - in retrospect, one disheartening thing I found in my beloved Bose 'phones was the lack of presentation. If you look into the cups, you see the angled driver covered with the cloth stuff or whatever it is, but you can also see the plastic that creates the cup! And then they put serial number stickers on it! I can't describe it well, but it's not exactly flattering, and I definitely wouldn't expect it in a $150 pair of headphones.

EDIT #2: Actually, if you image-Google "bose triport," some of the pictures are angled just right so you can see the plastic. Now imagine that with a white sticker on it, and even some pink (could've been a highlighter - it's fading from my memory now).

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
I had a pair of Triports for about three months, and they never seemed fragile to me; definitely no sign of headband breakage. But then maybe it's because I babied them because I thought they were the holy grail of the sonic world.
plainface.gif
We ought to send a Head-Fi agent into a Bose store with all manner of audiophile headphones under his/her jacket, and compare them all to the Triports and QC's (although I believe the QC's are just Triports with noise cancellation), then we'll extract him/her and have a full comparison.

No! Even better - a Bose store Head-Fi meet! It would be like angels marching into hell.

haha. i always see people with triports at the undergrad library. one kid i always see there...well, i saw him a few times wearing them...then I saw him two weeks later and the headband had a large bulge on it...yup, duct tape. I couldn't help but laugh

even before i got into head-fi and found out bose wasn't the holy grail (to steal your term
smily_headphones1.gif
), I listened to triports several times at best buy and I was never impressed with them. I honestly thought that I just couldn't appreciate their high quality. Now I realize that the problem was that I could appreciate high quality...

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

My mother-in-law wants noise canceling phones and has been completely brainwashed by the Bose PR machine. What is a better noise canceling alternative?

Look into the Sennheiser PXC250s or one of the other Senn active noise cancellation series models. The 250s were on sale at newegg for less than 80 recently, but I believe they sold out and upped the price again.

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

I think the biggest problem with Bose is how overpriced its products are. If Bose priced its products within reason, then its products likely would receive (slightly) less harsh criticism.

Nevertheless their price keeps steady, even on Ebay.

what a good marketing strategy.

Apr 27, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

My mother-in-law wants noise canceling phones and has been completely brainwashed by the Bose PR machine. What is a better noise canceling alternative?

A closed headphone with isolation. The 280's are great if your mother in law doesnt care about looks. They isolate way better and sound way better than the Q2's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back