Bose gets into the Car Suspension Business? What??!!!
Aug 27, 2004 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xtreme4099

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=BvorzMXNunDZeMJ1liBSvrghYhhF Vbl1wg9en3fedppHJG2mRLs6!1879924776!-373760557?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/project_sound/suspension_challenge.jsp&pageName=/learning/project_sound/bose_suspension.j

cut paste.

if that link dont work goto http://www.bose.com click automotive systems - then Learning Center - there should be a link for it.

heh we can kinda bet its going to be overpriced.

Aug 27, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 17
My guess is that they will be marked up JC Whitney parts.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Aug 27, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 17
Oh! I get it.
The suspension won't be good at highspeeds.
It won't be good at low speeds.
But it will have a good MIDRANGE and be sold as an overpriced upgrade to your car?
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Oh! I get it.
The suspension won't be good at highspeeds.
It won't be good at low speeds.
But it will have a good MIDRANGE and be sold as an overpriced upgrade to your car?
biggrin.gif

ROFLMAO!
biggrin.gif

If it's got no highs or lows, it must be........

-Ed

Aug 27, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 17
O.o

I wonder if they're going to be as advertising heavy as they are with their sound gear...

Aug 28, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 17
This design is actually a leap forward in suspension technologies. I have heard of other designs that would use liquids that responded to changes in electrical fields to become denser or less dense depending on the changing conditions indicated by the on-board computer.

Think about it...the suspension is just about the only major component of a car that is NOT computer controlled. Car suspensions are set to one particular style of driving and cannot adapt to changing conditions. Just as the Bose literature indicates, either you get a smooth, rocking ride, or a tight, bumpy ride.

Just how effective this suspension system will be, and how much it will cost, remains to be seen. I would love to test drive one...

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 17
There has kinda been a point behind non-changing suspension setups, people want different things, if they like something, why change it? I know a hardcore street-racer type person would never get something like this (and neither would I).

Driving a car is an experience, changing the suspension is like driving on the computer.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 17
for all the cynics out there - remember that nokia was once in the paper business.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Yeah but the point behind this is that when you're cornering hard or doing fast lane changes or braking hard, you get no body roll or dive. AND when driving on the highway, the car will float over bumps like a Cadillac. You can drive to work on potholed streets without liquifying your internal organs like you would with a stiff sport setup. Some cars already have adjustable suspension where you can set sport mode or luxury mode or whatever, but this sounds to me like it would auto-adjust to give you an optimal (whatever that is) setup under all conditions.

Aug 28, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
for all the cynics out there - remember that nokia was once in the paper business.
wink.gif

And Nintendo started out with playing cards
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 17
Interesting idea, though it would have many problems for practical application but there is no reason to bash new idea just because you never heard of it. As a possibility, it may provide excellent performance if matched with specially designed suspention system. Problem is the cost.

Actually there are various suspention systems out in the market that are electronically controlled: some controls the diameter of orifice in damper and change damping effect and some uses air damper and controls the amount of the air in it to give firm to soft ride. All are electronically controlled and automatically adjusted to speed and driving situation.
Still I dare say none of them beats well-designed conventional suspention in overall performance (comfort, maneuvability, cost, weight, size, etc.). And conventional suspention system is not that simple as they might think.

Aug 28, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Think about it...the suspension is just about the only major component of a car that is NOT computer controlled

Definitely NOT true. My jaguar has CATS active suspension system.
A single cpu module on every wheel, and a central cpu module that
talks to the other 4. Almost identical to the bose system except that
the linear motor is controlled by air pressure instead.

Mercedes and Cadillac have had active suspension systems for quite
some time. My fathers 1971 mercedes had an active air suspension
system that was all mechanical.

Bose once again re-invents the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back