Bose Frames: Sunglasses That Rock
Jun 30, 2019 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tmarshl

500+ Head-Fier
I was walking through a department store about a week ago and saw what looked a lot like Wayfarer sunglasses from Bose called "Frames". I tried a demo and was quite surprised at the sound quality. So I bought a pair and immediately had prescription sunglass lenses created for them.

dims

Here is a link to a review that I found:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/bose-frames,review-6108.html

They come in both the Wayfarer look and a round look:

facebook-linked_image___bose-frames.jpg

What I like about them:

Sound quality is decent.
Stealthy - others are unaware that I am listening to music, a podcast or an audiobook
Nothing sticks in my ear canal - provides a feeling of freedom and airiness
Situational awareness; I can hear cars coming
Inexpensive; my prescription lenses actually cost more than the frames​

What I don't like:

ZERO Isolation. Not good for public transit or noisy locations.
Battery life is short; about two and a half hours, and they don't charge very quickly.
Case is pretty big, so they don't fit into a tight pocket.​

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 11
These are great for a “walk in the park”, but have ZERO isolation, so are NOT good for public transit. They do have amazing soundstage and punch above their weight in terms of sound quality for the cost.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 11
Jul 20, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Cool idea, sort of in the same zone as the Soundwear neckspeaker. Bose have a knack for making these sorts of novelties actually work better than I assume.

Can I ask what store you were able to try them out at? The Bose store in my vicinity closed down.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Cool idea, sort of in the same zone as the Soundwear neckspeaker. Bose have a knack for making these sorts of novelties actually work better than I assume.

Can I ask what store you were able to try them out at? The Bose store in my vicinity closed down.

Yes, I tried them at my local Nordstrom department store in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 11
I just tried these at the store today.
Treble was hard to judge as the tracks they had playing through the glasses didn't give me any good impressions nor a bad one. There wasn't any sparkle and the glasses weren't what I would call bright so far so good.
Mids, this is what shocked me the most as it seemed to me the vocals were pushed forward a lot giving the sound is a "W" signature. It actually made listening to the lyrics a lot easier for me as I was demoing the glasses.
The bass, the lows, the where the hell is it? Was that it? Now I was expecting a light bass response due to the way the glasses are designed. However, even for the hip hop tracks that were playing, I had to hunt for the bass. Granted the tracks that were playing on the demo could have been bad choices.
Soundstage, was really good, was nice and wider with good depth. I think that is expected as you have two mini-speakers right next to your ears.

Mind you this was only listening to each song the demo had for about 45sec each twice (had only 5 songs to go through).

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 11
I just tried these at the store today.
Treble was hard to judge as the tracks they had playing through the glasses didn't give me any good impressions nor a bad one. There wasn't any sparkle and the glasses weren't what I would call bright so far so good.
Mids, this is what shocked me the most as it seemed to me the vocals were pushed forward a lot giving the sound is a "W" signature. It actually made listening to the lyrics a lot easier for me as I was demoing the glasses.
The bass, the lows, the where the hell is it? Was that it? Now I was expecting a light bass response due to the way the glasses are designed. However, even for the hip hop tracks that were playing, I had to hunt for the bass. Granted the tracks that were playing on the demo could have been bad choices.
Soundstage, was really good, was nice and wider with good depth. I think that is expected as you have two mini-speakers right next to your ears.

Mind you this was only listening to each song the demo had for about 45sec each twice (had only 5 songs to go through).
I think you're missing the point of this product. It's not meant to replace your existing portable setup, merely a complement when you don't want to lug headphones around and just want some casual entertainment. They're priced accordingly.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 11
I think you're missing the point of this product. It's not meant to replace your existing portable setup, merely a complement when you don't want to lug headphones around and just want some casual entertainment. They're priced accordingly.
I saw them by luck at the store and tried them, looked them up here to see if others have tried them. Only after I left my comment did I do more research on them in which I can understand them fitting more into place as a complementary item.

I question the battery but don't think its a deal-breaker for what it is.

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 11
i tried them to sound is nice but they lack of bass and dynamics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back