Bose ethernet dac?
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

yianni

100+ Head-Fier
My friends bar has a touch tunes jukebox and it is hooked up to a bose system via ethernet, anyone know if you can hook up a pc through the ethernet to get sound output

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 13
If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if you can use the ethernet port on your computer as a sound signal out?

Theoretically, yes.  Ethernet is just a specification.  If you get the proper software and receiving hardware (where you run the signal from the computer to), it should be possible.  I'm not sure of any products in the mainstream that do this.  Might need to find a niche product maker.

I think usb is much easier and more readily available.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 13

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if you can use the ethernet port on your computer as a sound signal out?

Theoretically, yes.  Ethernet is just a specification.  If you get the proper software and receiving hardware (where you run the signal from the computer to), it should be possible.  I'm not sure of any products in the mainstream that do this.  Might need to find a niche product maker.

I think usb is much easier and more readily available.

This bose systems only input is the ethernet, the jukebox is hooked up to it using ethernet,i was wondering If anyone has seen such thing and if it's possible to hook up a pc to output sound to the bose system through the ethernet

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm sure there must be a program out there that does that.  It's just more or less streaming internet music.  If anything, you could probably recruit a computer science student to make such software for you as a thesis or something.

Quote:
This bose systems only input is the ethernet, the jukebox is hooked up to it using ethernet,i was wondering If anyone has seen such thing and if it's possible to hook up a pc to output sound to the bose system through the ethernet

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 13
well i just wanna hook up my laptop to it for my bday party at the bar that way i dont have to rent a sound system. i wonder if i plug the bose system through the ethernet to my laptop if win7 will recognize it as a dac

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I don't see why not if you get software capable of it.  The Logitech line of Squeezebox and Transporter does this, using ethernet or Wi-Fi, and then decodes the raw data into S/PDIF format which can then be output to a standalone DAC or output to its own internal DAC.

this bose system is a box mounted on the wall ii think it has a built in dac of some sort that uses the ethernet as input, im hoping that win7 will recognize it as a dac but if it doesnt have drivers for it which is most likely the case hen chances of finding drivers for it might be pretty slim

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 13
Try contacting Bose about getting some drivers.

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
this bose system is a box mounted on the wall ii think it has a built in dac of some sort that uses the ethernet as input, im hoping that win7 will recognize it as a dac but if it doesnt have drivers for it which is most likely the case hen chances of finding drivers for it might be pretty slim

Windows will not automatically recognize it as a DAC through ethernet.  It doesn't work that way, as it's not like USB.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 13
What exactly is the Bose system you are using? None of the systems I found on their website have Ethernet ports. They only use wireless streaming.

Music streaming (ethernet or wifi) is different from digital audio through spdif. The music is streamed as packets of data and they have to be unpacked and reassembled at the receiving end by the client device the same way data from Internet having to go through the network card on your computer. SPDIF signal is much less sophisticated and obviously the protocol is completely different. I suppose it's physically possible to send SPDIF signal through an ethernet cable, but that by definition would not comply to SPDIF standard and I know no such precedence. If you device has an ethernet port, it's almost certainly for the purpose of network media streaming. It will most likely support the common media streaming protocol such as UPnP or DLNA. Bose might have its own proprietorial protocol. In either case It's hard to believe that there are no instructions on setting up streaming.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 13
this is setup up by the jukebox guy, he supplied my friend with the jukebox and bose system, she is renting it for the bar. the only connection between the two is the ethernet wire.

i dont have the exact model of this system or id look it up.

imight just try hooking it up and see what happens, most likely nothing will but you can expect anything from MS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back