Bose Companion 2 - auditioned, and confused! Need your help!
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

quadmaniac

Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers, 
 I was researching for 2.0 speakers for use with my mp3 player (primarily) and my laptop (more details at http://www.head-fi.org/t/617693/need-2-0-speakers-bit-of-an-odd-requirement) and finally got time to visit the Bose store to try out the Companion 2 (the other option I'm looking at is the Creative T40).

Here's what I observed:

- The sales guy was using Spotify on a Samsung laptop, paired with the Companion 2, asked me to search any song (I tried 'Whistle' by Flo Rida) 
- The sound was very impressive to me - crisp highs, decent mids, and decent bass from such smallish speakers

Since I cannot audition the T40s, I was almost sold. I finally asked him to play the same track from my Sansa Clip Zip. What I found here was surprising, and disappointing. He disconnected the laptop headphone jack and connected it to my player. At first, I thought there was no output. I later realized that the volume was extremely low while powered with the Clip. In fact, the volume had to be almost max'ed out to reach the same level of volume when the speakers were paired with the laptop at half the max volume. Although at max volume, the speakers didn't distort, I felt that the volume with my Zip was "not enough".

- I'm confused - how can this be? Arent the Bose C2's self powered? If so, then how come the max volume on the Zip + speakers so low?

- In any case, do you think this is a problem that can be fixed with an Amp? If so, does something like http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343865662&sr=8-1&keywords=amplifier suffice? 

- The Bose website asks you to connect mp3 players to the aux port. Whether its connected to the main input or aux input shouldn't matter, right? (Since both accept headphone out)

Also, has anyone here directly compared the T40's lows/mids/highs with Bose C2s?

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 6
What was being changed? The volume on the clip or the volume on the speakers?

Definitely do not use a speaker amp. Way too much power. If you really feel that the Clip does not have enough power, just use an E6 or E11. It would probably negatively affect sound quality by increasing the noise floor though.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 6
At first, when I connected the Clip to the speakers, the volume on the clip was at about 50%. Upon hearing almost nothing, I cranked up the Clip volume to 100%. Finally, to test the limit, I maxed the speaker volume. Even at this point, the speakers weren't exactly making anyone uncomfortable with the volume.

Sigh, I just bought the Clip Zip for exactly this purpose. To find out that it doesn't have enough power is disappointing 
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 6
I found this on Facebook a while ago.  Can't seem to find it there any more.

=======================================

10/3/11
From 
[size=10.0pt]www.facebook.com/topic.php[/size]

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=97546408397&topic=15105&post=64978

[size=11.5pt]ipod sound quality[/size]
[size=9.0pt][/size]
[size=9.0pt]Back to Bose[/size]
[size=11.0pt]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size]
[size=11.0pt]Topic:[/size] [size=11.0pt]ipod sound quality[/size]
[size=9pt]Displaying all 3 posts.[/size]
[size=10.0pt]·                                 [/size][size=9.0pt]
clip_image002.jpg
[/size]

[size=9pt]Kirk[/size]
[size=9pt]hi [/size]
[size=9pt]having just bought a bose wave system with dab and ipod connect kit can anyone help me as when music is played through the ipod the volume has to be alot higher to get the same sound quality as normal cd's or dab radio . is this normal [/size]
[size=9pt]thanks kirk[/size]
[size=9.0pt]about 12 months ago[/size]

clip_image001.jpg
[/size]

[size=9pt]Bose[/size]
[size=9pt]Hi Kirk,[/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks for your question. What are experiencing is normal operation. Because the aux connection on the back is typically used with third party products, we can never be absolutely certain of the strength of the incoming signal. To ensure high sound quality, we "pad" the incoming signal. This just means that we lower the volume of the incoming audio to make sure it doesn't overload the input. Without this pad, products that have a higher than expected audio output may cause audio distortion. As a result, you may have to compensate by turning up the volume a little higher for sources connected through the aux jack.[/size]

clip_image002.jpg
[/size]

[size=9pt]Kirk[/size]
[size=9pt]ok many thanks for your help[/size]

=========================================================

Bose isn't the only ones doing this.  It seems that almost all amp makers do it.  You may want to check out a small preamp.  Any thing from Boostaroo, FiiO, or Sound Shocker.  I make Sound Shocker and I know a few headfi'ers have heard it at some of the meets.  It's audio transformers so no batteries, charger, or external power is needed.

Hope that's of some help.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 6
That is of great help PeterP. And it makes complete sense. Just curious though, does this mean that only the aux input is padded, or both inputs?

I seem to remember during the audition that the main input itself was directed to my Sansa clip zip, but I can't be sure. I can audition again though.

I have an FiiO E5 back at home, but not here :frowning2: . What's the difference between a Sound Shocker and a Sound Shocker Pro (the former looks like within my budget).

Thanks for your reply!

PS: Today I checked out some Logitech 2.1 systems (z623 etc) at Best Buy. Granted that they were playing FM radio, I found the quality horrendous.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 6
I really don't know if both inputs are padded.  My guess is that they are.
As for Sound Shocker vs Sound Shocker Pro.  The real difference is in the bass.  The Pro is only down 0.5dB at 20Hz.  The standard Sound Shocker was designed for small size and low cost.  It works fine with most "small speaker" systems.  If your speakers only go to 80Hz or so it works great.  It was originally designed to be used in cars with standard factory stock stereos.  I do need to update my website.  I do offer a 30day money back guarantee.  If it doesn't work for your system, just return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back