Bose Comfort in a Better Sounding Headphone?
Mar 23, 2004 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tjmaxwell

New Head-Fier
Hello again everyone,

I recently asked for advice on some closed headphones to replace my Bose QuietComfort 2s, and I was advised to try some Audio Technica ATH-A900s. I liked the sound of the A900s, but they were too bulky for portable iPod use. I then moved on to the Shure E3cs, and they sound good too, but the seal issue is causing me a lot of problems and the sound is fatiguing to me.

So basically, I'm back to step one. I use an iPod while travelling and at work. I have recently re-ripped the majority of my CDs using EAC and LAME. I enjoy mainly classical and piano music, but also like rock, pop, and country. I'm now convinced that comfort is a number one priority since these headphones are routinely worn for several hours a day at work. Is there a headphone out there similar in design and comfort to the Bose QuietComfort2 with much improved sound without the need of an amp? The reason I liked the QC2s for comfort is because my ears were completely surrounded by the cups, and didn't touch anything. I didn't particularly care for the A900s because the speaker was too close to the cups and my ears were "crunched" up against them. Granted, I have big ears. I realize that the sound may not be up to par with the A900, but is there something more comfortable out there with better sound than the Bose? I've considered the Beyer D250-80, but those seem to not get glowing reviews here. I've also considered the Sony CD3000s, but don't think those would be my best choice for iPod use. Are there any other closed headphones you can recommend? Thanks again!

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 16
Good luck. The only headphone's I've tried that approach the QC2 in comfort are the the CD3000 (which is not an isolating headphone) and the Sony F1 (which is certainly not an isolating headphone!)

The V6 is somewhat comfortable (but not as comfortable as the QC2) and reasonably isolating.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 16
For me Sony V6 offers a very good fit and relatively portable (most portable in my collection of headphones). Not bad for $69. Sony MDR-CD780 offers a descent sound and it is very comfortable. Only problem is that CD780 is an open phone.
I found Beyer phones to be quite comfy as well with descent sound quality. Good luck!

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, compared to the Bose, the Beyer 250-80s sound substantially better. That's a plus in your favor. And the Beyer's are comfortable, small, and light-weight. The ear pieces are on the "smallish" side so I don't know how well they would fit your "big" ears. Plus, they don't fold up.

I use the Beyer's with my Rio Karma and the sound, fit, and isolation are all remarkably good. Not the greatest, but fine for portal use.

I've used the Sony V-6s as well, but prefer the Beyers.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 16
If comfort is an issue with V6, you can always mod the pads with Beyerdynamic's. Beyer comfort, affordable V6 sound.... hard to beat combo. Coming from Bose, it will definitely sound better.
Just my 1KB worth!
-Mike

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 16
From what I've read, I'd really like to give the CD3000s a try, but if I'm buying those, I certainly couldn't afford an amp too. Will the sound be adequate from an iPod on these? I'm not really picky about volume. I usually don't push my iPod much above half-way. Solid bass is always a plus too, but not of utmost importance in the classical genre.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 16
How are HFI-650 comparing Beyer DT250-80 comfort wise?
I can type on the keyboard with DT250 over my ears all day long, can I do the same with HFI-650, I've heard they have quite fatiguing sound presentation and pleather pads tend to heat ears as well.

Mar 23, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by tjmaxwell
From what I've read, I'd really like to give the CD3000s a try, but if I'm buying those, I certainly couldn't afford an amp too. Will the sound be adequate from an iPod on these? I'm not really picky about volume. I usually don't push my iPod much above half-way. Solid bass is always a plus too, but not of utmost importance in the classical genre.

No problem with getting enough signal, but the CD3000s let outside sound in big time ... they are not an isolating phone at all.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Will the sound be adequate from an iPod on these?

I don't have ipod, but using my portable CD player (Sony D-E915), it is quite listenable. Although you do need more power than portable headphone out to really make them sing.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
No problem with getting enough signal, but the CD3000s let outside sound in big time ... they are not an isolating phone at all.

I don't work in a really noisy environment, so this may not be a big deal. Obviously more isolation is better, but I doubt I'd be able to hear much with my music playing. Has anyone tried both the Bose QC2 and the CD3000s? Do the Sonys have a similar design in that nothing really touches your ears while they're on? That's really what I'm looking for.

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 16
If you thought the A900 was too bulky, the CD3000 will drop your jaw. Look for a picture on someone's head (there was a post in the members lounge with someone wearing them not too long ago) and they make the A900 look like ear buds.

Mar 23, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 16
For his benefit, here I am
redface.gif

a2775406d5c0b58d7a155344741432d8.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
For his benefit, here I am
redface.gif

a2775406d5c0b58d7a155344741432d8.gif

Pwahahaha!

You are brave, man!

Why not make that your avatar?
biggrin.gif

Heheh. You have a strangely happy/evil look on your face.

-Ed
Esteem the water-drainage corks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back