Bose around ear vs. on ear tir-ports
Dec 15, 2006 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sushi14

New Head-Fier
I am interested in purchasing a pair of bose headphones, but I can't choose between the bose on, or around ear tri-ports. Could anyone here provide information on these headpohnes?

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 22
Here at head-fi, we don't like Bose. I'll not go into depth why (as i don't have too much time to post), but trust me, you can get MUCH more bang for the buck by buying different brands.

Let us help you out more, what kind of music do you listen to, what will you be playing your music out of (aka an ipod or cd player mostly?), are you a basshead or do you like a "brighter" headphone?

I'll just say that one of my friends actually had three pairs of Triports, all broke over the course of one year, then bought a pair of AKG K26P's and liked them better.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 22
Bose Triports aren't too bad sounding (just ask any head-fier and they'll say they're way overpriced). The OEs are something to ALWAYS stay away from though!!!!! SQ is terrible.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 22
Here, you're gonna need this...

istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sushi14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested in purchasing a pair of bose headphones, but I can't choose between the bose on, or around ear tri-ports. Could anyone here provide information on these headpohnes?

Thanks!

I actually liked the OE, but at $179 it was kind of expensive. You could do better with something like a Grado SR60. I swear it sounds better than Bose and it only costs $70. Google Grado SR60.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 22
Yes, Grado's sound quality is excellent. You will be shocked once you hear it, well I was.

Are you going to be using it outside? If so, Grados might not be the best choice since they are open (leak sound in and out).

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 22
akg k81dj are another good choice judging from what's said around here. Can get them for $55. Supposedly a bit uncomfortable though.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 22
If you like bass, I'd recommend the AKG K81 DJ over the SR60's--I've had both and the AKG's have heaps more bass than the Grados, as well as being closed.

If you want THE headphone for bass, someone will probably eventually recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770, but I've never heard them so can't comment.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 22
with Grado, as the OP observed, style comes second. Frankly, I think they are a style all their own! Just search this forum for Jecklin Float if you want odd... But regardless of the style, the SR60 sounds really good, better than anything Bose might provide for the price. K81DJs: although I have not heard them it seems that a lot of people here use them for portable setups and all kinds of applications and are pleased.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 22
since you like good bass, i'd say you should check out the k81dj. they're supposed to be really nice headphones. don't worry if they feel tight on you, you can stretch out the headband.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could go with the SuperFi 5 Pro. I think there very bassy and are really nice sounding.

that is, if you want a canalphone. It's really a matter of personal taste... I used to have canalphones and enjoyed the feel, but now I have developed a dislike for them.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here at head-fi, we don't like Bose. I'll not go into depth why, but trust me, you can get MUCH more bang for the buck by buying different brands.

I don't think, mckickflip, that you can speak for the whole head-fi community, and I don't think that they would like the forum to be limited to statements of "liking" or "disliking" a certain model. There is much more expertise involved. Besides, real experts would always give a reason for their judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back