Bose and BestBuy
Jul 6, 2008 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

beg2differ

New Head-Fier
Everyone here should understand that I am not an audiophile (i'd believe it was apparent by the title anyways), so please bear with me.

I happened to be at Best Buy the other day and they have their little bose stand where you can demo both the Bose AE and OE headphones.

Before people start flaming me, I understand Bose is highly unpopular in this particular forum and that it's definitely not the best BANG for your BUCK in a sense.

Disregarding the price and quality of the Bose OE headphones, what audio quality discrepancies could I expect from the headphones being connected to different audio sources? (in particular, whatever system that the Bose headphones were connected to at Best Buy and a 1st gen. Ipod nano/Ipod touch?)

Also, what would you knowledgeable headfiers recommend for reasonably small, portable headphones that have relatively smooth sounds and a rich bass that works well for a crappy ipod nano/touch? (preferably one in the $100-$200 dollar range) or is there no such thing? lol

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by beg2differ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone here should understand that I am not an audiophile (i'd believe it was apparent by the title anyways), so please bear with me.

I happened to be at Best Buy the other day and they have their little bose stand where you can demo both the Bose AE and OE headphones.

Before people start flaming me, I understand Bose is highly unpopular in this particular forum and that it's definitely not the best BANG for your BUCK in a sense.

Disregarding the price and quality of the Bose OE headphones, what audio quality discrepancies could I expect from the headphones being connected to different audio sources? (in particular, whatever system that the Bose headphones were connected to at Best Buy and a 1st gen. Ipod nano/Ipod touch?)

Also, what would you knowledgeable headfiers recommend for reasonably small, portable headphones that have relatively smooth sounds and a rich bass that works well for a crappy ipod nano/touch? (preferably one in the $100-$200 dollar range) or is there no such thing? lol

biggrin.gif

I would say you have to hear it for yourself. I learned that recently, that no matter what others say or how many say it, there is a high chance that your ears will disagree with it. I almost made a huge mistake in buying without auditioning until I decided to walk to a local audio store and tried the headphones.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would I be correct in guessing that you'd prefer closed phones, for portable use? Skylab reviewed a few here.
smily_headphones1.gif
All of them except for the HD25-1 are under $150.

Wow cool thanks for that thread, Oya! I'll check it out right now.

But I'm still wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in the quality of the music from a headphone being used by any random stereo system and a mp3 player such as an ipod nano?

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

But I'm still wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in the quality of the music from a headphone being used by any random stereo system and a mp3 player such as an ipod nano?

If you use it with a "random" stereo system, the sound quality will be random. IMHO/E, the headphone out in most low to midrange systems is more like an afterthought than a result of good design.

For example, the headphone out from my iPod is better than the headphone out from my Denon receiver when used with my Grados straight out of the headphone jack.

In other words, the results are hard to predict. That's why people here spend so much on headphone amps, etc.

If you love the Bose sound, don't be fazed by critics. It's your money and your taste. However, it is generally true you can get better for your money for the price of the Bose, and in general people who haven't heard good audio will be more impressed by your choice of Bose than if you went with Grado, for example.

People in this forum are somewhat anti-Bose not because they are adverse to spending money, but because most of them demand a lot from the money they spend.

Don't buy the Bose at BestBuy after a short audition. Try it on for an extended period with the music you listen to. You may find it's not your cup of tea after a prolonged audition. Better still, go to a Bose store where it's quiet. If you find you like your music at the Bose store better because it's more quiet, then perhaps you need something with isolation (not the same as noise cancellation).

After you do that, find another store where you can try out, say Grado, Sennheiser, Denon, etc at a comparable price - with the caveat being that the higher end models need a headphone amp to drive properly.

After you've made a comparison, make a decision. This purchase is probably recreational and not professional, so you want to be somewhat happy when parting with your money.

I have friends who have very expensive performance home systems who are just thrilled with their Bose QuietComforts, probably because they've never heard better from a headphone. But, the point is they are very satisfied with their purchase and enjoy the sound very much. It's your money, so it's about you. All this forum can help you do is get a better bang for your buck.

Head-fi is a good (and financially dangerous) place to start. Also check out the headphone selection guide at
HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 13
I have a pair of Bose Triports. Bought them in a music store after a quick demo plugged into a cheap digial radio. Took 'em home and was surprised as to how extended the bass really was. Unfortunately, the reset of the audio spectrum was muddled; the highs muted and clarity poor. Only good thing WAS the bass. Then the headphone strap broke (a common problem, I understand). Anyways for what they do they are ok (ish), esp when wearing them outside on a cold day - they keep your ears warm.
Point I'm making is: try other types; the Grados would be a good first stop (as previously stated). World...oyster..etc

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 13
You'll get plenty of good advice, but welcome to Head Fi. From your questions, you are exactly the kind of person that keeps Head Fi going. Inquisitive, enthusiastic, loves music etc

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 13
For the cost of Bose Triports you can get a Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro which, in my opinion, sounds a lot better and has better isolation.

I had a pair of triports, and while they sounded ok, the headband broke apart after awhile, and the foam on the cups came off. Really not worth it for the $150 I paid.

Straight out of an iPod, they did sound alright, though. But stock iPods aren't fantastic sound quality either. They're a good match because their about on the same quality playing field.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Since you're interested in the Bose OE, and want something with bass under $200, how about something under $100 from amazon.com, the Denon AH-D1000K for $98 with free shipping?
Amazon.com: Denon AH-D1000K Headphones (Black): Electronics

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in general people who haven't heard good audio will be more impressed by your choice of Bose than if you went with Grado, for example.

If you find you like your music at the Bose store better because it's more quiet, then perhaps you need something with isolation (not the same as noise cancellation).

After you've made a comparison, make a decision. This purchase is probably recreational and not professional, so you want to be somewhat happy when parting with your money.

Really appreciate all the help i'm getting here at this forum esp. just getting these amounts of responses in the short 10-12hours i posted this thread.

The above quotes are some things that I completely agree with.

And after browsing through this forum even more, I just have more and more questions! lol

I've been picking up some new terminology and would like to know the difference between active/passive noise cancellation and isolation as well as the difference between open and closed headphones.

I am under the impression that open headphones are "better" yet I don't really find them to be pleasing, simply because I don't like the whole world to know what song/music I am listening to. And because of this, I've found out that Ultrasone's are a type of headphones that seem to fit my style of headphones better. Would any of you be willing to suggest any others?

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm quite sure that the headphone output on the Denon receiver is of higher quality than the output jack on your iPOD. It's just that your ears prefer the response offered by the iPOD better. But the fact is that the headphone output on the Denon has better frequency response, better driving power.

The reason you like the iPOD more is probably that it's output resistance is lower than that of the Denon and since your cans are expecing a 0-ohms jack, they sound "better" from the iPOD.

In reality, there is little, if any, comparison to be made between the awful SOIC iPOD analog circuitry and the masterful Denon discrete-component headphone amplifier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For example, the headphone out from my iPod is better than the headphone out from my Denon receiver when used with my Grados straight out of the headphone jack.
[/url]

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Really appreciate all the help i'm getting here at this forum esp. just getting these amounts of responses in the short 10-12hours i posted this thread.

The above quotes are some things that I completely agree with.

And after browsing through this forum even more, I just have more and more questions! lol

I've been picking up some new terminology and would like to know the difference between active/passive noise cancellation and isolation as well as the difference between open and closed headphones.

I am under the impression that open headphones are "better" yet I don't really find them to be pleasing, simply because I don't like the whole world to know what song/music I am listening to. And because of this, I've found out that Ultrasone's are a type of headphones that seem to fit my style of headphones better. Would any of you be willing to suggest any others?

I don't think open cans are "better" in the sense that they're higher-quality or reproduce music better than closed cans...there are situations where open cans might suit better, and other situations where closed cans would be better.

Sort of like tube vs solid-state amps....preference, situation, and music type.

Ultrasone makes both open and closed headphones, like most manufacturers. Even from the same manufacturer, each headphone line will sound different, so while there might be a specific can they make that would suit what you'd want, that might be the only can they make you like.

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite sure that the headphone output on the Denon receiver is of higher quality than the output jack on your iPOD. It's just that your ears prefer the response offered by the iPOD better. But the fact is that the headphone output on the Denon has better frequency response, better driving power.

The reason you like the iPOD more is probably that it's output resistance is lower than that of the Denon and since your cans are expecing a 0-ohms jack, they sound "better" from the iPOD.

In reality, there is little, if any, comparison to be made between the awful SOIC iPOD analog circuitry and the masterful Denon discrete-component headphone amplifier.

That was my point to the OP, who was asking for about randomly connecting headphones to random systems without proper matching/synergy - results won't always be what you expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back