Bose and Beats
Feb 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #17 of 42
beats are for fashion statements not audio quality. Bose is for Noise cancelling. When any company places anything else above audio quality/faithful reproduction, their product will suffer. that is why most of the people here don't like them. because most of us strive for sound quality above all else. ANother reason why I went for the PXC450 rather than the bose variants. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 42

Quote:
beats are for fashion statements not audio quality. Bose is for Noise cancelling. When any company places anything else above audio quality/faithful reproduction, their product will suffer. that is why most of the people here don't like them. because most of us strive for sound quality above all else. ANother reason why I went for the PXC450 rather than the bose variants. 

Well, I tend to think that ANC does have a legitimate purpose, and much more so than pure fashion. Additionally, I've tried the PXC450s and I have to say I found them a bit tinny, though less sibilant than Bose. In general though, I think I just dislike the effect ANC has on sound, regardless of brand.

Quote:
Ha, I remember a Bose sample a Costco, "listen for the clarity of the vocals, listen to the life-like guitar", sure they're clear, but that's all I can hear!

The funny part is, if you listen carefully, all the mids also have an artificial quality to them, making everything sound smooth on the surface, but ultimately very fatiguing, because everything sound the same. Also, sibilance.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 42
When I think of headphones which can be had for around $400, I think more along the lines of Ultrasone 900s, Denon 5000s or Sennheiser 650s. 

I'd put the sound quality of the Beats Pros in more of the $250 range and the Bose closer to $150. Mind you, neither sounds horrible, but they're not worth the inflated price... as someone mentioned up-thread, due to marketing and endorsements, etc.

If you walk into a Best Buy, the Bose and Beats are the top of the line carried there. So, for those people who are out shopping, that's most often what they will see and won't know to buy anything else. Bose also advertises like crazy. Any airline magazine on an airplane will have a full page ad for the Bose QC.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #21 of 42

Quote:
When I think of headphones which can be had for around $400, I think more along the lines of Ultrasone 900s, Denon 5000s or Sennheiser 650s. 

Those Denons and Sennheisers are a bit of an unfair comparison with Bose or Beats. The 5000 and 650 are meant to be used at home. Bose and Beats make products for people to use on the go.

I agree with you on the 900; why not add in things like the B&W P5 to the mix? That'd be at a comparable price to the Bose and Beats, and portable.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #22 of 42
The truth is that neither bose nor beats are bad headphones. Just as Justine Beiber is actually a good singer. Is he the best singer? Well, no. But he is a good singer, he just sings "teeny -bopper" "pop" songs. and so he is very popular. He's good, but he's not Bob Dylan, or the Beatles. His appeal is to a specific audience who are willing to pay a lot of money to see Him perform. Those that are not his target audience, just don't get it, and don't understand why anyone would fork over that much money to see him.
It's the same with Bose and Beats. they are very different headphones, and they are marketed to a specific audience. Bose utilizes a lot of phsychoacoustics, these makes their headphones sound better than they actually are. People think that they are hearing frequencies that aren't actually there. Beats are marketed towards more of a Hip hop/pop audience, and face it, they do look cool. A lot of effort was put into  exactly that, making them look cool. and they do sound better than most consumer headphones. Are there "better" headphones at the same price, if not less? Sure there are, heck i was just listening to some skullcandy aviators and was actual kinda impressed, I think they are much better phones than Beats or Bose, but that's my opinion. what i think is better is not necessarily the same as what some one else thinks is better. the reason Bose and Beats charge so much, is because they can. people are willing to pay for them. Some people genuinely enjoy their Bose, or Beats headphones, and they can't understand someone paying $1400 and up for hd800's or an lcd-2. to them, audiophiles are the crazy ones. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
Those Denons and Sennheisers are a bit of an unfair comparison with Bose or Beats. The 5000 and 650 are meant to be used at home. Bose and Beats make products for people to use on the go.

I agree with you on the 900; why not add in things like the B&W P5 to the mix? That'd be at a comparable price to the Bose and Beats, and portable.

I was just talking about sound quality of headphones in the same price range as the Beats and Bose, using headphones I've personally owned and/or listened to as an example.

You're definitely correct in terms of how they are used, and other considerations.

The significant point I was making is, when you weigh the sound quality of the Beats and Bose against (just about) any other headphone in the same price range, they sound ghastly... Again, not that their sound quality is bad... It's bad for the price.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #24 of 42
The Bose are good and no longer overpriced.  They have a bad name because the company has shady marketing.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 42

Quote:
Excuse me?

Justin Bieber is actually multi-talented (not only singer/performer, but can play multiple instruments).

He also actually earned his fame through his Youtube clips of his music.

Finally, even if you prefer [insert whatever artist you like] to Justin Bieber, that doesn't make him bad.

Please don't spout utter nonsense when you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Please don't defend justin bieber with poor grammar.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
Please don't defend justin bieber with poor grammar.

Well gee. If you're going to be a grammar nazi, then you might as well capitalize Justin Bieber. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 42
Same reason why I don't love Bang and Olufsen... Overpriced!

I just wrote a whole thing in another thread about Bose & B&O.

B&O is like Bose for audiophiles.  They have good sound compared to competition but not worth the money (except as an option in an Audi $350 for lower models / $3500 in the A8... and if you're buying an A8 that's definitely worth it).  Honestly Bose sound good compared to other non-audiophile grade speaker companies but they're overpriced and people assume they're the best.  Same with B&O... I'm not as much into speakers as I am headphones but I'm sure I could find a speaker that would satisfy me close to how a Beolab 5 would but not costing 10k per speaker.  Just saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back