Bose AE2 or Denon AH-D1100
Feb 20, 2014 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Riksa

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! First I'd like to apologize if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place or anything like that, I just joined so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the rules.

But anyways! I'm trying to find a good pair of headphones for movies, gaming and music so pretty much for all-around use. I've been thinking of getting the Denon AH-D1100 or the Bose AE2, mainly for their reasonable prices and the good reviews they've gotten. Now I'm having trouble deciding which one would be better for me. I'd say I would mainly use them at home for movies and gaming but I do enjoy listening to music with a good pair of headphones. So which ones would you guys recommend for this kind of use?

P.S. No Bose bashing just for the sake of being Bose please! :)
 P.P.S. Feel free to suggest something else if you have any ideas in the same price range!

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 16
I can't say much about the Denons but I used to own a Bose AE2. They're very light weight, and the audio quality is pretty good. They aren't really exaggerated in any area, but I thought the bass was a little lacking for my taste. The only reason I ended up getting rid of them was because the way they sat on my industrial piercing was just too painful after listening to them for a few hours at work. (this wouldn't be a problem for too many people haha) 

I can recommend the Bose, you won't be unsatisfied for them at that price point. They also don't take up much space when you're storing them in their little pouch. Oh, and another plus is, the cable is detachable :)

This piercing, the bar in my cartilage.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 16
I say go for the Denons. Bose are not terrible but they are not worth the money. Trust me, I have a pair that I have not used for like 2 years or so. They sound artificial and treble gets a little rough from time to time. But as always, it's your call.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for your answers! So no Bose for me! Do you have any other headphones in mind that would be better for my use or are the Denons my best bet in this price range? I've read that they aren't very durable so I'm a bit worried that they will break easily.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 16
V-Moda M-100s are great if you can strech to $299 on Amazon. Also NAD HP50 for same price if you want less bass.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 16
as a second thought Sennheiser HD558s should work out for you too, for only $212 or so on Amazon. ( or the Beyer) (it all comes down to preferences)

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 16
  That's way over his budget man. I'd say go after the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm.

I second the recommendation for Beyerdynamic DT770 (Pro) 80 ohm.  So comfortable and perfect for the stated purposes.  But at least 2x more expensive than AE2.  I bought mine at Guitar Center for $200.

I do have the Bose AE2 as well, and I disagree that they are overpriced.  Perhaps at the price I paid ($150), but not at the $80 they sell for now.  They are exceptionally light and comfortable (unusual ear hardware aside) and sound pretty good although not close to as good as the DT770.

For the ~$100 price bracket and stated purposes, my highest recommendation goes to the Sony MDR-V6.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 16
Wow, I didn't realize they were priced that low now. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and they were $180! What a price drop! The DT770 recommendation was well out of the budget as well then! I wonder how the VModa Crossfade LP would compare. I know they are very nice looking though.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 16

I second the recommendation for Beyerdynamic DT770 (Pro) 80 ohm.  So comfortable and perfect for the stated purposes.  But at least 2x more expensive than AE2.  I bought mine at Guitar Center for $200.

I do have the Bose AE2 as well, and I disagree that they are overpriced.  Perhaps at the price I paid ($150), but not at the $80 they sell for now.  They are exceptionally light and comfortable (unusual ear hardware aside) and sound pretty good although not close to as good as the DT770.

For the ~$100 price bracket and stated purposes, my highest recommendation goes to the Sony MDR-V6.

I bought mine for $176 when it came out from curiosity lol.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for replying guys! I was just about to get the DT770s especially since I found them for about 100 euros in ebay but then I realized I would probably need a headphone amp because you can't get them with lower than 80 ohms (32 ohm version was limited, right?)  and since a decent amp would probably cost a lot of money, the combination would be way over my budget! Are there any headphones that are at least close to as good for my use as the DT770s, cost about as much and DON'T need a headphone amp? I know it might be too good to be true and a stupid question but since I'm clearly not an expert in this area, I had to ask! 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #15 of 16
For my purposes, how are the Sennheiser RS 170 and 180 compared to for example the DT770s? I'm buying my first good set of headphones and started to wonder about wireless headphones as I'm a bit unsure how inconvenient or difficult the wires would be in a living room (would they be long enough, would they be in the way etc). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back