Bose Acoustimass - fix or rip out?
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

melomaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
alright, don't shoot - I moved into a house this week that has an old bose acoustimass system in the living room. I cannot seem to get it to work. is it worth trying? cables distribute from the woofer through the walls to these little speakers mounted around the ceiling... I have no idea how that would sound when it works. anyone with experience or ideas, please let me know what your advice might be: use the cabling and replace all the speakers? fix the bose system? call bose and find someone who can get it to work? rip it all out?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 4
If you haven't got the Bose acoustimass subwoofer/amp/control box, then you don't want the sats. Even if you do have it, you still probably don't want it - but at least it would work as designed (meaning a boomy mid-bass, a hole in the midrange and the sats giving a reasonable illusion of spaciousness). Bose wants you to believe they can create midrange from a 2" driver bouncing off the wall and a 6 inch driver behind the couch. My ears tell me they can't.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Okay, what kind of equipment are you using with it?

Can you take a few pictures of the sub? Specific model numbers would be great help!

Also, if all else fails - call Bose. Their customer service is incredible.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 4
@450 - yeah, I was tempted to call their customer service, but I'd only do that if I am convinced to keep the stuff. right now I'm a skeptic. so I wanted to see if someone has pointers on getting the set-up going so I can test it with my own ears, and then decide… guess that's circular logic, sorry. the previous owners had their main TV set up for Bose surround.

@billybob_jcv, I do have the box, but when they moved out a lot of the cabling was bunched into a mess in the corner, and I'm not sure I have all the stuff that was originally there. I threw out their ancient VCR and DVD player, but I haven't decided yet what to do with the Bose gear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back