Bootable W2K, W98SE CDs
Jul 5, 2004 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wallijonn

Throwin' tantra.
For those interested in making their own bootable CDs, I found this:

http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/
http://www.thetechguide.com/win2kbootcd/
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?...cle.cfm&id=160

Why would you need to Slipstream a CD? Let's say you have an old copy of Windows 2000 Professional. It only came with SP1. So you download the latest Software Pack and then slipstream it into a copy of the CD, then make it bootable. When you install the new OS (which may be necessary for newer mother boards) it will automatically be updated to the latest SP revision. Along with the OS you could create a subfolder with McAfee Anti-Virus, Acrobat Reader, sound, nic, video drivers, DX, etc. This will keep CD swapping to a minimum.

Jul 5, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 6
the topic of this thread is a bit misleading, since all stock win2k and win98 cds are bootable.

slipstreaming programs sound neat, but i've been too lazy over the past few years to really mess with them.

Jul 6, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch
win98 cds are bootable.

My Windows 98SE Upgrade CD isn't bootable. I made a bootable one (without the cdsampler crap) using Nero and a bootable floppy disk with CD-ROM support.

Jul 6, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
My Windows 98SE Upgrade CD isn't bootable. I made a bootable one (without the cdsampler crap) using Nero and a bootable floppy disk with CD-ROM support.

you must have an upgrade version, or just a badly burned copy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Bootman,

Thanks. Now I know that a bootbale DVD can also be made.

Slipstream worked great. It came up with SP4 installed. It saves at least 15 minutes everytime I rebuild. (find the CD with SP4 network, 128MB. Copy file to HD, extract files, run file, reboot).

Somewhere I downloaded the 125MB IE6.0. Now I have to integrate that also. If I can integrate them all it will save me about 6 - 8 hours (over updating over DSL connection).

I wonder when W2K SP5 will come out? I do know that when they finally fix most of the IE security holes under WXP they will NOT be releasing the same fix for W2K. Guess that means that W9x will also not be updated.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Active-X as MS Update needs active-X turned on. Maybe they'll use Linux.
biggrin.gif

So now I have to download all the Criticals & Security Patches and incorporate them into my slipstreamed CD. If they came out with SP5 this week it will save me 10 hours every time I rebuild.

So far I have spent 3 days trying to get my Intel P875PBZ mobo to install W2KP. PATA just doesn't work right on it. I installed W2KP on a drive which I formatted on my old PC. Is method no longer works. Updating the BIOS didn't work, either. There's no way that I am going to buy 2 SATA drives so that I can do image copies of my WXPP.

So, why do I need W2KP? Tribes II. It won't work correctly on WXPP. And that's why I also keep W98Se around, for those games that don't work correctly under DX8 or DX9. I don't know how you guys can online game with WXP...

So they came up with another IE security hole this week. What else is new?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back