Boom Mic Attachment for Heaphones?
Sep 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bladebarrier

New Head-Fier
Greetings all,

I'm looking to find a boom mic that I can attach to my existing headphones.

Currently I'm using a Zalman clip on mic (clips on the headphone cord), and while it's passable for basic voice comm speech, it's not particularly clear while hanging below my chin.

The main trouble I'm finding is that for using Windows 7 voice recognition, it's rather sub-par.

I've done quite a bit of googling, and can't seem to find any posts with a solution to attaching a boom to cans, aside from the common suggestion of clipping a Zalman to the cord.

Considering I'm using Denon AH-D7000's, the idea of going back to a "gaming" headset is pretty much out of the question.

I do have a TrackIR clip locked onto them, so I'm willing to epoxy a boom that attaches to that (so it needn't have an actual headphone clip itself). I've somewhat considered a single ear mic/headphone set, and attaching that, but what I'd really prefer is just the boom mic itself, or possibly removing the mic from such a headset, and attaching just the mic. I'm not afraid of soldering, though I would prefer something that would come apart a bit easier.

Swiveling or not, isn't a major issue, though it would need to mount itself on the left hand of the headphone/trackir.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I know from googling it, that a lot of people could benefit from this type of solution.

Thank you,

--bb

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd either improvise a boom mount for the Zalman or start looking into desktop microphones. The latter would afford you some directional-pickup options which would probably be the next logical step up anyway.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I'd either improvise a boom mount for the Zalman or start looking into desktop microphones. The latter would afford you some directional-pickup options which would probably be the next logical step up anyway.

I would prefer to stay away from a desktop mic, if at all possible, due to the lay out of my desk and monitors, but I never really considered trying to mod the zalman into a boom. That seems like a pretty possible plan. A thin goose neck, some thin flex tubing, and some super glue might do the trick. It might break at the initial point, but would just require another squirt of superglue to re-mount.

I'll give that a shot, and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back