Bookshelves vs. Satellites & Sub
Oct 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tracker

Head-Fier
I need to get a decent pair of speakers for my computer desk.

Originally, I was going to use a pair of Bose satellites with a T-Amp, but was told that satellites required a sub to sound good.

So, now I'm wondering:

- Is there a T-Amp that supports 3 channels (2 speakers and a sub)?
- Are there Bookshelf speakers (or any pair of speakers that don't require a sub to sound good) that are small enough to fit on my desk?

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 18
Some powered subwoofers have a passthrough where you run rca audio into the sub, set a 80hz crossover, then run audio to the speaker amp for your front stereo pair.  I don't think there are any cheap t-amps that support 2.1, they're pretty much all 2 channel.  Unless your bose satellites are a higher end model I'd probably ditch them and just get some powered bookshelf speakers, computer ones for cheap or if you can spend more some active monitors like the emotiva ones or maybe try the monoprice active monitors

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 18
  Some powered subwoofers have a passthrough where you run rca audio into the sub, set a 80hz crossover, then run audio to the speaker amp for your front stereo pair.  I don't think there are any cheap t-amps that support 2.1, they're pretty much all 2 channel.  Unless your bose satellites are a higher end model I'd probably ditch them and just get some powered bookshelf speakers, computer ones for cheap or if you can spend more some active monitors like the emotiva ones or maybe try the monoprice active monitors

I'm not really getting a straightforward response to my question.

Are there bookshelf speakers that are small enough to fit on my desk? My Monitor 30s certainly don't.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 18
Bookshelves vs. Satellites & Sub

Given the choice between listening on a satellite + sub system or desktop monitors which went down to at least 60Hz i.e. 4" drivers or larger then, without hesitation, I would chose the monitors.

Not everyone here will agree with that choice but I think the informed majority would. We shall see?

Since there is no method which is both cheap and easy to design the system you propose anyway. Sub, amps, interface etc will cost you at least $300. For not much more than $400 you can buy into the bottom end of the really good stuff. Mackie MR5, Yamaha HS5, AdamA3X & F5, Airmotiva 4, the new JBLs. There re more. They will all soon look perfectly at home n your desk. Be sure to get some stands to raise the tweeters to your ear level.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 18

Are there bookshelf speakers that are small enough to fit on my desk? My Monitor 30s certainly don't.

Whose fault is that? How would anyone know? You haven't provided pictures or measurements of the space you have available on your desk.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 18
Whose fault is that? How would anyone know? You haven't provided pictures or measurements of the space you have available on your desk.

What he said ^  
wink.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

On a side note, I'm with RonaldDumsfeld, I replaced the front satellite (Onkyo) high frequency speakers on my onkyo 5.1 surround system with some dirt cheap old classic Pioneer cs-363. It totally transformed the SQ, frequency range, etc etc... a massive improvement in every area. I am still in awe every time I listen to it even nowIn other words I'm suggesting the best of both worlds... large-ish bookshelf speakers and an active sub if you can.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 18
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 18

Is that a joke? You're either trolling me or nitpicking me with some sort of holier than thou attitude.

If Monitor 30's, which are relatively small bookshelf speakers won't fit on my desk, and I'm looking into satellites, that should give you a pretty decent estimate.

I'm going to throw the Vanatoo Transparent One into the bookshelf ring.  http://www.vanatoo.com/

I've owned a par for nearly a year now, and I'm very satisfied with them (see my "Fighting" review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819R1MC )

Dude.. seriously? I mean, seriously?

Those are 500-mother****ing-dollars.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 18
Is that a joke? You're either trolling me or nitpicking me with some sort of holier than thou attitude.

If Monitor 30's, which are relatively small bookshelf speakers won't fit on my desk, and I'm looking into satellites, that should give you a pretty decent estimate.

Are you dense or do you just like to be rude to people helping you? You said,

Putting aside that the first sentence is rather rude to make to people that are trying to help you, the 2nd sentence contains info that you did not provide in your earlier posts, and it still doesn't tell anyone that much. There is a dramatic difference in size between a Bose cube and the Monitor 30s, and there are certainly a wide range of speaker sizes in between. How do WE KNOW if it's the depth of the M30s that won't fit or the width that won't fit, or both. Are they just a little too big? Or way too big? If you'd tell us the exact size space you DO HAVE to place speakers, people could help you better :rolleyes:

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 18

Dude.. seriously? I mean, seriously?

Those are 500-mother****ing-dollars.

rolleyes.gif

So?

You came here asking for help, help was offered.

As others have already stated, you asked an open-ended question and placed hardly any constraints on the information you wanted in return.  You have no room for complaint.
Would you rather I recommend the Dynaudio MC15 monitors instead?

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 18
$500 is a drop in the ocean, if you want some small speakers for playing with your pc then i think you are asking the wrong people.  You have not given any idea of your use, ie critical musical listening/gaming/production.  Whether you intend to listen only in the chair directly in front or you want a room filling sound.  People here are both generous with their opinions and very knowledgable and are not giving you bad advice.

If you dont want a sub then you really need a minimum of 5.5" drivers in a 2.0 (2x speakers, 0 sub) so that gives you an idea of the size of speaker you are talking about.  The width of the front panel is going to be minimum of 6" and probably deeper than they are wide. So the question you need to ask yourself is how much space do you have either side of your monitor on your desk, assuming its a pc based music set-up.  

This moves us on to connectivity, do you plan to run these with the tiny headphone jack coming out of a laptop? A dedicated PC soundcard? An external Device with TRS/XLR ability?    

I am trying to be completely helpful here, we need to know exactly what space you have, your existing equipment and what you plan to use it for.  For example I do some home producing (making my own ****ty music) and have my PC hooked up via usb to an external audio interface (soundcard) with allows me to connect all my instruments and feed my speakers.  I use a set of Adam A7X speakers which are BIG and self amplified.  Just the soundcard and speakers comes in at about $2000, and yes its way more than you need for listening to tunes on spotify but I am just trying to clarify your needs before we start narrowing down what to advise.

TMRaven, CEL4145 and RonaldDumsfeld are proven posters on this site and would not troll you for fun.  They are all offering you very broad advice because without specifics thats all they can do.

So give us an idea of your source (pc and soundcard) what space is available on the desk (width/depth each side of the screen) and what you are trying to achieve (personal listening at the desk vs room filling) and I am sure you will be given lots of options to research further.

HTH

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 18
Are you dense or do you just like to be rude to people helping you? You said,

No, I'm being rude to people who are being dense and unhelpful.

Putting aside that the first sentence is rather rude to make to people that are trying to help you

I've been on the internet a very long time and this thread ranks as #3-4 on the "Most unhelpful" list, so no, I doubt they're trying.

Quote:
 the 2nd sentence contains info that you did not provide in your earlier posts,

I provided that information.

"Are there Bookshelf speakers (or any pair of speakers that don't require a sub to sound good) that are small enough to fit on my desk?"

Do I have to define the size of an ordinary desk to you?

Quote:
 There is a dramatic difference in size between a Bose cube and the Monitor 30s, and there are certainly a wide range of speaker sizes in between. How do WE KNOW if it's the depth of the M30s that won't fit or the width that won't fit, or both. Are they just a little too big? Or way too big? If you'd tell us the exact size space you DO HAVE to place speakers, people could help you better 
rolleyes.gif

Wow. Well, apparently I do have to define the size of an ordinary desk to you..

/facepalm

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 18
Have you looked at the Emotiva airmotiv speakers or Adam Audio F series I herd the later at a guitar center and the bass was rather impressive.

Most subs that I've come across with a high level out are over $500, with that said I think a budget of $300 to $500 will be necessary if you want them to sound good and have a half decent sized driver to get any usable bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back