Bookshelf System Around $1000
Sep 16, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #16 of 25
Ahh that's true.
redface.gif

Easier to just get a receiver with a sub out if you can though hehe.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it wouldn't actually.

You can run wires in parallel to the speaker and sub input simultaneously. As long as you can physically fit the two wires into the same speaker terminal. The input impedance of the sub would be high enough to do so without causing an increased load.

Sorry, could you explain this to me, it's a little confusing. If you're wiring in parallel and say the impedance of the sub is 4ohms and the speakers are 8ohms, wouldn't you get a nominal impedance of 2.67ohms ((8x4)/(8+4))? If the sub uses a driver with an impedance of 2ohms, the nominal impedance would drop to 1.6ohms. Afaik many entry level amps aren't stable to that low of an impedance and begin to clip.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, could you explain this to me, it's a little confusing. If you're wiring in parallel and say the impedance of the sub is 4ohms and the speakers are 8ohms, wouldn't you get a nominal impedance of 2.67ohms ((8x4)/(8+4))? If the sub uses a driver with an impedance of 2ohms, the nominal impedance would drop to 1.6ohms. Afaik many entry level amps aren't stable to that low of an impedance and begin to clip.

I may have this totally wrong, but if the sub is an active one, the speaker amp should just see the input impedance of the sub amp which would be much higher than a few ohms. I run a Omega Deep Hemp like this. The driver itself is 8 ohm, but Louis at Omega told me that my speaker amp sees a 200 ohm load in parallel with the main speakers.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #20 of 25
pyro:

will you be placing the speakers on your computer desk for primarily nearfield listening, on stands near the corner of your room, or on actual bookshelves? a 10x12 room isn't that large, and you might be able to get some good results with compact speakers positioned properly. you might not even need a sub.

if you are looking for a nearfield setup, take a look at NSM Audio or their upscale equivalent Role Audio. I have the Role Audio Kayak speakers on my desktop, with the Zero DAC/AMP driving a Cambridge Audio 540A integrated amp. I'm very happy with this setup, although I admit that I don't listent at very loud volumes. The Kayaks may be out of your budget, but the NSM speakers might work out.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The input impedance of the subs are usually very high, say, several thousand ohms.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #24 of 25
I'm coming a little late to this, but I hope it will be useful to someone.

You might not want to commit to this kind of work, but I seriously doubt you can get better sound for your money than by buying and building a speaker kit like they have at Parts Express (Parts Express: Featured Categories). I have built three kits from them (The UA701CK, A532, and BR-1S), and the quality on all of them shocked me, considering the price. If you have soldering experience, you can finish a kit in half a day. I had no experience before building this kit, and everything has always worked perfectly.

My setup:
- Dayton MTM kit w/ dual 5.25" woofers and silk dome tweeter: $430 (on sale for $300, discontinued)
- Dayton SUB-100: $110
- AudioSource Amp ONE/A: $150 (ebay purchase, they have a new, pretty lineup from partsexpress)
- AudioSource Equalizer: $55 used
- JVC 5-disc CD changer: $40 used
- Canare 4s8 speaker cable + adapters: 60¢/foot + ~$10 for connectors
------------
~$815

Speakers like this pair sell for >$1000, not including power/components. I've heard a lot of more expensive setups that don't sound as good. You might want to go with a receiver instead of amp if you ever want to hook up a TV.

Best of luck,

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back