Bookshelf Speakers
Jun 12, 2003 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hempcamp

Headphoneus Supremus
Several recent threads made me start wondering about the various "sounds" of bookshelf speakers. I was biased towards the B&W Leisure Monitor LM1s (basically, I just started randomly auditioning the cheapest models out of Stereophile Recommended Components, the LM's were some of the only ones I could find in the hifi stores). Then, someone in another thread recommended the DM303's instead and made a pretty good case for them.

So, I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers that have a "sound" like the AKG K501 (it's mostly classical & jazz for me). They can't be too stand-dependent, because they will sit on the stretched arms of a teacart. They will most likely be powered by the NAD L40 (or Linn Classik if I strike it rich by next month).

Any other reccs beside the DM303?

--Chris

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 24
I am also interested in this. I have been looking at Axiom bookshelves, Mirage Omni 60, and the Paradigm Monitor 5.

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
So, I'm looking for a good pair of bookshelf speakers that have a "sound" like the AKG K501 (it's mostly classical & jazz for me).
--Chris

Chris,

I can recommend used pair of Soliloquy 5.0s. More neutral midrange than B&W you've mentioned. Sol. has a less midbass rise than B&W, so, they don't sound like they are going down lower than B&W, but, in turn, you'll get better articulated midband a la 501.

I won't say they are the quickest speakers on the planet, but with the right amp, you can get a tuneful but weighty enough bass for jazz and classical.

Jun 12, 2003 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 24
Dont get anything from B&W below the DM303 inclusive. They
dont give accurate sound. Its the worst sounding speaker for the price I've ever heard.

The bass of the DM303 is bloated and uncontrolled and its treble is overdone.

For the money of the DM303, get a pair of Equinox Pluto's http://www.pip.com.au/~equinox/speakers/pluto.html
These are much much better.

For Jazz and Classical. Try to find speakers with Audax HDA cones.

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Dont get anything from B&W below the DM303 inclusive. They
dont give accurate sound. Its the worst sounding speaker for the price I've ever heard.

The bass of the DM303 is bloated and uncontrolled and its treble is overdone.

For the money of the DM303, get a pair of Equinox Pluto's http://www.pip.com.au/~equinox/speakers/pluto.html
These are much much better.

For Jazz and Classical. Try to find speakers with Audax HDA cones.

I will have to disagree. Although I don't have the 303 (I got the higher priced DM601S3) I auditioned them several times and nothing like bloated bass and overdone treble was there. Are you sure that your audition was done with half decent electronics and cables. Bloated bass can also result from positioning too close to rear walls. Especially true with rear ported speakers like DM303. Also I don't know what kind of prices the British made B&W hold in the US but DM 303 sells quite cheap in Europe and for the price is a great buy. It is not by mistake that they scored very high marks in all the reviews. That said the D303 sound punchy and clear. To me they were designet more towards pop and rock perhaps.
Anyway there are other good speakers in this price class also. Check budget speakers from Monitor Audio, AE and Dali.
For classical I'd recommend the Dali. They are known for their warm midrange and treble and expansive soundstage, something that IMO makes classical recordings sound great. Furthermore Dali speakers are veryt well built for the money

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 24
I can wholeheartedly recommend the Sonus Faber Concertino speakers, although I am loath to refer to them as "bookshelf" speakers because they truly belong on stands. Nevertheless, you should definitely give these a listen if they're in your price range (about $1000 a pair). I currently have a pair in my bedroom system, and I previously used them as the main speakers in my home theater (with a subwoofer). They don't have much bass, but their sound is oh-so-sweet, with lush midrange that rivals speakers at three times their price. They are also gorgeous to look at.

Check the numerous glowing reviews on AudioReview.com at:
http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Spea...8_1594crx.aspx
(for the original model Concertino)
and
http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Spea...9_1594crx.aspx
(for the newer model Concertino Home)

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 24
The above recommended speakers are all great recommendations:

B&W
Axiom - (but "can" sound too bright due to the titanium tweeter)
paradigm
mirage - (the "omni-directional" speaker)

I would also like to add the following recommendations:

Totem Acoustics - (mites, mani-2s
wink.gif
etc http://www.totemacoustic.com/ very highly regarded speakers - great sound and great finish - problem is they can be a bit hard to drive (4 ohms and lower impedance)
Studio Labs - DS5.1s (I have the 5.3s which are the floorstanding versions with the same drivers) - excellent bass and good control - soft dome tweeter so it isnt "bright" (www.speakerdirect.com)
Dynaudio - 52's i think...again highly regarded
Other's include Triangle, and ProAc

www.hometheaterhifi.com just did a review on minimonitors you might want to check them out. They usually do both a home theater and music test on speakers - and use both jazz and classical for testing.

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 24
I own the Paradigm monitor 5s, very nice speakers, I compared them to aximo m22tis and B&W (i forget model #... 603s i think) and choose the paradigms, I found all 3 very close, slight difference, I ended up going with the Paradigms because of a good deal the dealer gave me on them and a subwoofer to go with and the amp I bought all at the same time, also I bought sennhesier 590s from the same place couple weeks earlier, so I got a great deal, but I was alread leaning towards the paradigms
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 24
That's interesting about the Paradigm 5s, my brother used to own the Paradigm 9s and got the Axiom M22ti's to replace them, and the Axioms walk all over the Paradigms in pretty much every area except deep bass response (but we've got a great sub for that).

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 24
Really? I found the paradigm monitor 5s and m22tis very close, not the kind of difference you were talking about, I couldn't tell much difference between the different monitor lines, except for bass response mainly, the paradigm studio series however is a different story, very nice speakers.

Maybe i'll check out the m22tis again :p

But anyone considering 'bookshelves' should consider all these brands, my monitor 5s are on stands btw.

PS. I Found I needed a sub to bring the paradigms to life also, a bit better mid bass than the m22tis perhaps.

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 24
Both my brother and I found the M22ti's quite noticeably more transparent and neutral across the board, with better detail, FAR better imaging, and just overall a more involving, life-like sound. The Paradigm 9's were a little warmer (I tend to prefer a warm sound), but at the expense of sounding a little wooly and soft at the edges in comparison. We never mated the Paradigms to the sub (they actually did quite well at low bass on their own), but I'm still surprised at how well the Axioms mate with the sub (SVS PS1-ISD). There is no bass hump at all in the M22tis, they just roll smoothly off, so it really helps create a seamless line from the sub to the speakers.

That said, The Axiom is clearly a bookshelf whereas the Monitor 9 is a floorstander. I haven't heard the Monitor 5, but they do share the same drivers (I believe). The smaller cabinet might help tighten up the sound though.

Jun 13, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for all the helpful info.

Whew, this is a lot of work finding good bookshelf speakers!

Some you mentioned were over my price range ($1000/pr??? That's more than I hoped to spend for the whole setup -- receiver and speakers!)

--Chris

Jun 13, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
I will have to disagree. Although I don't have the 303 (I got the higher priced DM601S3) I auditioned them several times and nothing like bloated bass and overdone treble was there. Are you sure that your audition was done with half decent electronics and cables. Bloated bass can also result from positioning too close to rear walls. Especially true with rear ported speakers like DM303. Also I don't know what kind of prices the British made B&W hold in the US but DM 303 sells quite cheap in Europe and for the price is a great buy. It is not by mistake that they scored very high marks in all the reviews. That said the D303 sound punchy and clear. To me they were designet more towards pop and rock perhaps.

You are probably right. I demo'd it at dse. The speakers were about 1m away from the side and 50cm from rear wall. They used HT receivers for the amp. I wasnt very impressed with the sound.
Cables dont make a big difference in sound but Im sure they used decent cables.

It was about US $360 in Oz.

I heard the pluto's with high end ME gear. Boy was I drueling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back