bookshelf speakers
May 20, 2007 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bratton

New Head-Fier
i need an 'alright' pair of bookshelf speakers for my mother. our old ones went dead, so now shes looking for something $100-200 range i believe. I just need to get her something up to par for listening while she cleans and exercises (anything from meatloaf to bb king).
What I'm not sure about is what kind of output they need. our receiver speaker-in is the "push down tab and insert bare wire" setup, but can that be fixed just by cutting the red/white heads from an rca cable?

they can be purchased online or in store if that makes for better selection

May 20, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 13
I use the Mission m70s in my system at work, and they sound extremely good for their size. Got them at tsto.com for $70. They actually have some bass to them. If I forget to turn on the subwoofer, sometimes I don't even notice.
blink.gif
Ok, I have a crappy subwoofer, but still.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 13
just wondering, do the m70's take bare wire? and do they have enough power to hear while about 30~ ft away?

and for jam: i have no idea about the reciever other than that it is 15+ years old, and my mom just wants something up to par to listen with. the speakers that just died stood on floor (about 2' x 1' x .8') with maybe a 8in speaker in each, i dont know anything about their power, though.

May 21, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 13
May 21, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bratton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just wondering, do the m70's take bare wire? and do they have enough power to hear while about 30~ ft away?

Yes, they have screw-down posts that will take banana plugs or bare wire. As for 30 feet away, I hope mine have never been heard that far away or I would be fired.
580smile.gif
No idea how loud they will go but they are used in Mission's home theater setup, if that tells you anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a listen to some Infinity Beta 20's last week which seemed pretty good.
I have read good things about their lower priced Primus speakers too.

I have the Primus 150s on my home system and I may actually like the m70s better. I can't A/B them since they are several miles apart and the room acoustics are very different, but the extended bass the Missions can produce is better than the Primus 150s.

May 22, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bratton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine are not ideally set up (on top of my corner unit entertainment center, angled slightly out into the room - makes the wife happy), so, keeping that in mind...

Yes, they are audible at about 30 feet away BUT I'm not exactly jamming to them at that distance.

May 25, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 13
I think the original Athena AS-B1 and B2 can be had as "old new" stock for right around a $100 a pair, quite the bargain.

May 25, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the original Athena AS-B1 and B2 can be had as "old new" stock for right around a $100 a pair, quite the bargain.

Dude, where from? If that's the case, then I'm all over it like a hobo on a hot dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back