Bookshelf speakers with promedia 2.1 sub?
Jun 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

domthebigbomb

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

Ive been investigating getting a new pair of speakers since my promedia 2.1's seem to be dying (well the connection between the pod and the 3.5 seems to be breaking if not aligned properly)
I was thinking about picking up a pair of Klipsch rb-51 II but I don't have a receiver (or dedicated sound card for that matter) and i was wondering if i could wire up the speakers to the 2.1 subwoofer and buy a new control pod or something.

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 5
(I own the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1)
I would say to throw out the whole Klipsch 2.1 and buy a Asus Xonar DX sound card (for the DAC), $65, a low cost ($40-$50) speaker amplifier from Parts-Express
and whatever 2.0 speakers you want (like the Klipsch RB-51 II).
I would think a (quality) 2.0 speaker setup would provide a better over all sound quality, then try to work with a so-so quality "computer" sub-woofer.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Oh aite. Should i not go the external dac route then? And by low power amp i presume your not talking about headphone amps but rather amps like these? http://www.amazon.com/R1100M-Monoblock-Amplifier-Subwoofer-Control/dp/B004S4XNEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372160082&sr=8-2&keywords=amplifier
Thanks for the help! Ive been wondering how to get myself a working setup with some bookshelf speakers but  i didnt want to shell out 200 for a 5.1 receiver
On that note, is .1 for the sub important in these setups are do bookshelfs usually push out enough bass

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Oh aite. Should i not go the external DAC route then? And by low power amp i presume your not talking about headphone amps but rather amps like these? http://www.amazon.com/R1100M-Monoblock-Amplifier-Subwoofer-Control/dp/B004S4XNEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372160082&sr=8-2&keywords=amplifier
Thanks for the help! Ive been wondering how to get myself a working setup with some bookshelf speakers but I didn't want to shell out 200 for a 5.1 receiver
On that note, is .1 for the sub important in these setups are do bookshelfs usually push out enough bass.

Nothing wrong with going for an external DAC, it just for around $60-$70, the Xonar DX comes with the CS4398 DAC chip, so it a good value for the price.
Yes, I am talking about speaker amps, not headphone amps.
The bookshelf speakers will not output as much bass as a sub-woofer, but you should be getting a better quality bass, going with a good 2.0 setup.
A "computer" sub-woofer is usually very cheaply made, so the sub-bass is very crude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back