Bookshelf speakers with lepia amp, volume?
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

truije15

New Head-Fier
Hi, Im a complete audio noob with a quick questions before I invest. I bought some 2.1 creative speakers several years ago for gaming, tv, movies, and all my media needs. Now they are starting to short out so i want to upgrade. I browsed several forums and topics and Im leaning toward getting the lepai 2 channel amp and some pioneer sp bs41-lr's. My real question is how loud can this amp get these speakers going?

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hi, Im a complete audio noob with a quick questions before I invest. I bought some 2.1 creative speakers several years ago for gaming, tv, movies, and all my media needs. Now they are starting to short out so i want to upgrade. I browsed several forums and topics and Im leaning toward getting the lepai 2 channel amp and some pioneer sp bs41-lr's. My real question is how loud can this amp get these speakers going?

If you want to avoid amps and just get active speakers go for some Audioengine A2's.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Hey tru....I own the BS-LR21 (smaller brother of the 41s). I also have a much bigger amp to drive them....they do take some power to really sound good. I haven't tested a t-amp with them to know if its enough juice to really get them to shine. I suspect you might be disappointed. (Rooms, taste, are all different so what I like may not "wow" you.) :wink: Hence why I'm speaking so subjectively!

As someone has mentioned, it looks like you might be used to powered speakers with an amp built in already. You could stick with that, if you were previously happy with your 2.1 setup. Have you looked at any 2.1 combinations out there?

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 11
The proper way to look at it is : where is your listening position? Near field or living room use? I had leaned towards not mating a TA2020 with these Pioneers with the latter being a tad on the inefficient side but apparently peeps here and elsewhere have reported being happy and i suspect they are no more than 3 feet away from the speakers? The BS21/41 offer some of the best SQ/$$ and are much loved by peeps who actually know their stuff and have gone thru several speakers over the years so good spot but again power depends on distance/needs ^^
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the replies! I was decently happy with my powered speakers but even to me they sounded horrible, the low end was just awful. I've looked around at some powered speakers but I'm just not sure what to get. I'm really trying to go bang for buck, I was thinking if i get the pioneers Id have some decent speakers and eventually Id upgrade to a better amp. The price point is what I like so much, just about $150, but if there's a good 2.1 setup I'll definitely consider it. I saw some swan M10's or something that looked beautiful and I wanted to buy but couldn't find them!

Im pretty close to my speakers, ten feet maybe max when I use them.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I was decently happy with my powered speakers but even to me they sounded horrible, the low end was just awful. I've looked around at some powered speakers but I'm just not sure what to get. I'm really trying to go bang for buck, I was thinking if i get the pioneers Id have some decent speakers and eventually Id upgrade to a better amp. The price point is what I like so much, just about $150, but if there's a good 2.1 setup I'll definitely consider it. I saw some swan M10's or something that looked beautiful and I wanted to buy but couldn't find them!

Im pretty close to my speakers, ten feet maybe max when I use them.

I would ask on AVSforums, they know much more about speakers than Head-Fi knows.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Don't get me wrong...I love my Pioneers just don't sell yourself short on the power necessary to make them work good. They are on the inefficient side compared to many bookshelves. I'm just not convinced a 20 watt t-amp is going to be able to power them well enough without frying itself. I would simply broaden the search to include some more powerful amps. I believe the designer or builder responded to posts on the AVS forums back when I was reading about them. See if anyone has any recommendations on what amp to pair these with. :) Best of luck!

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The proper way to look at it is : where is your listening position? Near field or living room use? I had leaned towards not mating a TA2020 with these Pioneers with the latter being a tad on the inefficient side but apparently peeps here and elsewhere have reported being happy and i suspect they are no more than 3 feet away from the speakers? The BS21/41 offer some of the best SQ/$$ and are much loved by peeps who actually know their stuff and have gone thru several speakers over the years so good spot but again power depends on distance/needs ^^
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

+1

It depends on how loud is enough for you, your expectations, which is difficult for anyone else to predict. I've also seen a few people that are satisfied with the performance of the Pioneers with the Lepai t-amp. If you are using them sitting at a computer and don't need them blasting at you, or if you want them for background music in a room, I would guess that they would be fine. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 11
First, I am incredibly impressed with the bs21s and 41s - I have both. When on sale for $40 or $80 respectively, they are an unbelievable bargain.

I can play them decently loud with a 15 watt digital amp. If you have a big room, then I'd recommend getting something more powerful. If you want head banging sound levels you'll need a bigger amp to be happy. But forum the priced of the lepai, you mightily wants to try it and see if it's sufficient.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back