Bookshelf Speakers to TV without Receiver?
Jul 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

caracara08

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, i was wondering if you could help me use my bookshelf speakers with my tv setup (tv, cable box, blu ray) without using a receiver.  my tv stand does not have good air flow and a receiver will overheat in there without a doubt.  im actually a little worried about my cable box but oh well.  

i read that a 2 channel amp will work but im not sure what to look for.  in any case, any input would be appreciated as i know nothing about speakers.  thanks!

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 16
Well if you're worried about a receiver overheating I don't think the amp will fair any better. Also a lot of standalone amps don't have remotes which will get annoying very quickly when used with a TV (If no remote I would suggest using the TV audio out to control volume directly from the TV and have the amp at high/full volume all the time but I think that may be a bad idea).

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Well it seems like pretty much any 2 channel amp would do for you unless you got some really power hungry speakers. Just go on amazon and look up "component amplifiers" try and look at about $100 and up. I set up a little system for a friend last week that used a onkyo A-5VL and some klipsch floorstanders and I can vouch for that thing its very good for the price. He chose it cause of similar TV stand issues with space and that onkyo is low profile good looking and has a good feel to it. It does run a little warm though.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo--5VL-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002C73WR2/ref=sr_1_27?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1342247089&sr=1-27

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 16
I hooked it up through optical since it has a good DAC in it and the amp does come with a remote but its kinda pointless since you cant even change sources with the remote. But you can control volume with it.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Interesting... But no volume control. Might be a silly question but are there any really small receivers? Or anyone know of a stand I could set my tv on and maybe fit the receiver under it (while all being on top of the wooden one that houses my cable box and bluray)

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
You can do that. Just set the TV to use the audio out (TV internal speakers off) and set to 100% volume on TV and control volume on the T-amp. 

I've a pair of Audioengine plugged into the TV's headphone port. I keep the speakers volume at about 80%, and I can use the TV's remote to control the volume. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 16
^^^Yea thats what I thought of in my 1st post post but with these amps I think it will probably be a bad idea to do this. There will probably be hum and any interference will cause extremely loud static or pops that could damage your speakers.
P.S. You should be plugging the audioengines into a line-out (which is also variable) not the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back