Bookshelf Speakers DIY
Jul 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #16 of 25
Back in the day, AR was considered an excellent speaker. I have heard the 3A model (a friend had them) and I always liked their sound. Warm, full and lush.

Overtime, his woofers literally disintegrated. They really did not like the Florida humitity

I say you should attempt a restore. I think you would be pleased with the sound.

If not, well, then at least you have some great cabinets to work with for your own designs.

EDIT: I have heard the 3A firsthand, not the 2 series.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #17 of 25
Well, I can safely say my woofers still exist in the physical realm so that's not a problem. Not sure where to get parts, or even what parts are in it. Any AR experts in here?

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 25
Are the paper cones still in place, zafsk?.....Are they missing the surrounds...(The Edge of the drivers). Usually they are/were foam and rotted away with yrs.......You can get new surrounds from Parts express, you just need to let them know what size drivers you are re foaming.......probably 12" maybe tens.....

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 25
I meant the cones and surrounds disintegrated. Surrounds went first, paper cones followed thereafter. The spiders and magnets were fine.

I would look around for a local shop to re-cone them for you. That can usually be done effectively for a reasonable price. 

Unless you want to give it a shot yourself.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #20 of 25
Yeah, the woofers are scraping and the surrounds are gone. I'm ordering the replacement parts soon, hopefully I can get this in working condition.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 25
I'm having some problems with both of my woofers, hope you guys can give me some advice. On one of my wonderful AR-2x's, the woofer just needs to have its surrounds replaced. That should be an easy task, right?

On the other one, it seems like the spider is scorched a bit on the inside ring, and the cone keeps falling out. Do I need to scrap the woofers or is there a way to fix that?

EDIT: Spider is also torn as well on the speaker where the cone keeps falling out. Just noticed.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 25
No offense to the HeadFiers here, but the Speaker Forum on Audio Karma may be of more help: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Have you checked out these guys: http://www.simplyspeakers.com/

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 25
Hey, thanks guys. I had already been talking to DIY Audio as well. Turns out, I have to replace the woofer. I've already done so, its on its way. Additionally, I'm going to apply new surrounds to both speakers. Should be good as new in a few days. I'm redoing the grill frame/material, as they weren't in very good condition.

I'll take pictures when I'm all done. By the way, it turns out I've hijacked my own thread. So back on topic:

I'm going to be building a set of multi-way speakers here soon. Still working on a design for the cabinets. Haven't decided on what drivers I'm using, but I'll keep you posted. Designing the crossovers are going to be the hard part, but I have a bit of literature now, so I shouldn't have too hard of a time.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #25 of 25
I can recommend you checking out this site:http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/index.html

It contains a lot of information about loudspeaker designs, and various designs made by Tony Gee from the Netherlands.
Good luck with your DIY'ing.

Regards
vgjako

Users who are viewing this thread

Back