Bookshelf speakers and cat
May 28, 2007 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Salt Peanuts

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm hoping all the cat owners here can help me out with this as I have a cat who will be moving into my apartment soon.

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that sits on speaker stands. I'm trying to figure out ways to prevent the cat from knocking down the speakers and/or stands, especially since the speaker stands look rather similar to most scratching posts. The stands are filled with sand, but they are not so heavy that the cat won't be able to tip them over. Getting wall-mount stands are not an option for various reasons.

Any suggestions?

May 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 14
My cat listens to the Von Schweikert VR-1s all the time.She hasn't damaged my speakers in any way but will use any albums stacked along the floor for scratching.There is wear and tear on many jackets but the LPs remain prestine.She seems to always prefer the listening sweet spot on the couch.

May 29, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 14
I wonder if it would be a good idea to put some catnip in another section of the room so the cat spends most of the time on that area.
icon10.gif

May 29, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 14
I remember seeing a spray in the pet store that is supposed to make a piece of furniture undesirable to a cat. I'm not sure that's an option with your stands (or whatever they are sitting on) though.

Luckily my cat leaves my speakers alone, but I have caught him trying to bite my Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables (right on the label, of course) a couple of times. Bad kitty!

May 29, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily my cat leaves my speakers alone, but I have caught him trying to bite my Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables (right on the label, of course) a couple of times. Bad kitty!

Thankfully, I won't have to worry about the cat eating cables.

May 29, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 14
My 4 cats dont mess with my metal speaker stands at all so I dont think you have to worry. They chase each other all over the house and even get behind my equipment rack but they avoid all the components and wires when they play and run through there. Sometimes I catch them trying to chew on my speaker cables but they stop as soon as they taste the jacket. No damage done.

May 29, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 14
Might I suggest a small minefield? After loosing a life or two the cat will learn to avoid the area
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 14
Blue tac under the speakers and/or a recording of a dog barking on repeat?

May 29, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember seeing a spray in the pet store that is supposed to make a piece of furniture undesirable to a cat.

I think maybe you're referring to bitter apple spray?

It works well enough to keep dogs and cats from chewing things they shouldn't, and you can work with dogs to get them to associate the smell with somewhere they shouldn't potty. I used as a housebreaking aid for my dogs. But I'm not sure it would deter a cat from rubbing up against it, and that's where I'd guess the danger would be...

May 29, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 14
Well, depends on how agressive the cat is. Mine rubs up against stuff but never really knocks anything over, even a plastic cup is fine. Though... mine will sit on anything I've got on the floor, albums, cables, headphones, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back