Bookshelf speakers + amp, 600USD max
Jul 29, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 24
Avoid the NAD C320BEE. It's very thin sounding with weak bass and not at all like some of the great NAD amps of the past. Any of the older NAD amps are much better choices.

The Panasonic XR-50 recommendation is a very good one though.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 24
I spent some time demoing Klipsch speakers. I was listening to the Synergy series, with a decent ~$200 Sony Reciever and a ~$100 Sony CDP. It wasn't an ideal situation, we didn't have a wide selection of music available. I don't have a lot of experience with high end speakers but I was with my friend who has B&W Matrix 802s and we came to the following conclusions. The horn tweeters give a very good treble. We also tried some Sony speakers and the treble on the cheapest Klipschs was miles above the best Sony. However, the Klipschs with small woofers did not have much bass. The more expensive ones with 8" woofers did, but I felt that large woofers did not extend high enough to meet the horn tweeters. There was an area in the midrange that seemed missing, which probably meant that the horn tweeter could not go low enough to reproduce those frequencies and the large woofer could not go high enough. If I were you and I was looking to get Klipsch bookshelves, I would get the ones with the 5" woofers, as they sounded the best to me, and pick up a powered sub. The SB-1/B-2 (The B-2 replaced the SB-1 in 2004 but you can pick up a new SB-1 for $120 online and from what I can tell they use exactly the same woofer and tweeter, just different styling on the cabinet), the small bookshelves with 5" woofers sounded better than the larger ones. With a subwoofer, I think the SB-1/B-2 would be a pretty good choice.

Just keep in mind, everything is IMHO, IME, etc. I don't have much speaker experience and I had a small selection of music, but I think the Klipsch SB-1/B-2 has a lot of bang for the buck. The only downside I noticed was the lack of really low bass, but a powered subwoofer would fix that and still come in under your budget. I'm not saying these are the best choice, because I haven't personally heard any of the other reccomendations, but you should definetly take a look at them.

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 24
Thank you for taking the time to answer me post
smily_headphones1.gif
I've looked into Klipsh but adding a subwoofer would make me have to buy a lower quality amp, and I'd still like to remain with a very decent sounding (though bassy) rig.

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Powered monitors could do it, if they dont lose in quality compared to an amp+speakers setup... I'll look into it, thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Could be a problem, but I don't know whether those BX8 monitors have unbalanced inputs, which is what you would need.

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 24
yes, the BX8s and most other powered monitors will accept unbalanced input by way of 1/4" unbalanced cables. You can do this by mating 1/4" to RCA adapters to any standard RCA cables or by picking up a 1/4" to RCA cable from a proaudio shop.

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #24 of 24
Try to find some "Alesis Monitor Two" midfield monitors. They have a 10" woofer and they can slam the house if you feed them 100 watts. The problem is they're discontinued and hard to find. But if you find them they shouldn't run you a whole lot of cash, then you can get an amp of 100 wpc that will drive 4ohm speakers. Right now I'm trying out one of these new digital JVC amps. It works very well for $170.

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back