Bookshelf speaker orientation help
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jo0b4k4

New Head-Fier
I recently got a new second monitor and I lost a bunch of horizontal space on my desk. I'm not particularly centered in between my speakers, so when I'm not using headphones my sound stage is shifted and it's really starting to bother me.

So I'm thinking about making a platform of some sort for my monitors to sit on. I kind of want to lay my speakers on their side below my monitors and have an AV receiver in between them along with my ps3 maybe.

Here's how my desk is set up now:

I'm thinking of building something like this:

I was wondering if that's an acceptable orientation. I could make some angled risers so I can angle the speakers upwards a little bit if needed. If you guys have any other ideas or suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Check first if you'll be comfortable looking at the screens lifted up. Set them up at their intended height for a few days and see if it doesn't create any neck aches.

Regarding the sound quality, my observation is that having speakers sitting on the desk surface (whether vertically or horizontally) is no good for sound, especially for the low frequency reproduction. The reflections off the desk surface influence the sound, and never in a good way. The risers may help reducing this effect, but there's also vibrations that harm the sound quality.

A better (albeit more complex) solution may be to raise the speakers above the screens. That can be achieved with speaker stands or even wall mounted brackets.

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 6
Keep in mind that most bookshelf speakers have a bass port in the back (bass reflex) they need enough room behind it to sound better. Putting them against the wall or some other area will affect its imaging and increases bass output. 

The most appropriate position is with the tweeter at about ear height. Some speaker stands its a good idea. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I recently got a new second monitor and I lost a bunch of horizontal space on my desk. I'm not particularly centered in between my speakers, so when I'm not using headphones my sound stage is shifted and it's really starting to bother me.

Then the first thing to do is go learn about speaker placement instead of guessing how you might change things. Creating a good soundstage is a science for placing speakers relative to the listening position. Your plan is going to make things worse, creating problems with reflections (as PleasantSounds pointed out)--learn about reflections and room acoustics. Your speakers are also not likely created for horizontal placement dispersion--learn about vertical speakers vs. horizontal speaker design.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Then the first thing to do is go learn about speaker placement instead of guessing how you might change things. Creating a good soundstage is a science for placing speakers relative to the listening position. Your plan is going to make things worse, creating problems with reflections (as PleasantSounds pointed out)--learn about reflections and room acoustics. Your speakers are also not likely created for horizontal placement dispersion--learn about vertical speakers vs. horizontal speaker design.

Thank you, after playing around with different orientations I found that I don't have enough desk space to get what I want right now.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Thank you, after playing around with different orientations I found that I don't have enough desk space to get what I want right now.

Not surprising. When people setup HT systems or 2 channel listening setups in a living room, for optimal placement, you have to set up the furniture around the speaker placement, not fit the speakers in with the furniture. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back