Bookshelf + Center Channel speakers?
Jun 12, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I currently have a decent home theater system (well, I think it's decent). My M-Audio Revolution 5.1 digital to Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver, SVS PB10 Sub and Athena Point5 MKII 5.1 speakers. I love the receiver and the sub, but I'm thinking about upgrading the front L/R and center. The surrounds are perfect.

The front L/R are decent for movies, and okay for music, but nothing to write home about and the center is a bit harsh, that is voices can sound brittle and unnatural if they are not the most well-recorded.

Any recommendations for a center speaker and a pair of matching front L/R bookshelf speakers? They absolutely have to be bookshelves, as I have no space for larger.

I want some that are going to be great for rock music and movies, and my budget is $1,000 give or take. I will not be upgrading anything other than the speakers, so make sure my receiver can handle your recommendation.

I know, I should audition first, and I will give it a shot.

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 5
Based on your budget, sounds like you are shooting for something better than the Athena bookshelf speakers (the B1 and B2 for bookshelf speakers, with the C-1 being the center channel speaker). As you probably know, it's best to keep speakers of a surround sound system as closely matched as possible. Aside from using speakers from the same series, using speakers from the same company will give you a higher chance of that synergy. I am afraid that by moving away from Athena speakers for the front, you'll risk the new speakers "mis-matching" with what you have for the rear.

I would recommend the NHT SB3 and its companion center channel speaker. Also, the Energy C-3 and the accompanying C-C3 center channel speakers should also be on your short list to audition.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 5
I knew that matching the front l/r and center was important, but are the rears that important?

If so, then you guys might as well recommend me a full 5.0 system (sub ain't going anywhere). I don't mind replacing the whole thing, as I got the most amazing deal on these speakers. I've already practically gotten my money's worth out of them in just a couple of months.

Budget is not firm at all. I could see spending closer to $1,500.

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 5
I would suggest that you go give a listen to some Definitive C/L/R speakers. I really like them, and they match your price-point perfectly.

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 5
I would get the L/R and center channel speakers first and see if they match well with your Athena surround speakers. Perhaps they will match, or that the difference doesn't justify the added expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back