Bookshelf 2.1 setup
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MaMMa

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading for a little while now about a 2.1 setup. As of now I have my eye on the m-audio bx8 and bx10s or the event tr8. I also read in another thread here that the 20/20bas is better and cheaper then the TR8s, is the 20/20s compared the the bx8 a huge diff? If I got with the TR8s, what would be a good sub to match with these? It has to be powered UNLESS going with an amp would be a lot better (I haven't read or know much about going this route). It's going to be hooked to my PS Central station.

I listen to heavy metal, alternative and old school rap/hip hop. I will also be watching a lot of movies with this setup. My room is about 30x20 ft.

If not these, what are some other good options? My budget is $800. I am going to guitar center to listen to these hopefully this week.

TIA,

MaMMa

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 13
What does $800 cover? Speakers/Sub, amps, and source?

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Just the Speakers and subs. I have the other components already.

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 13
For music I'd recommend going with two floorstanding speakers. It's a lot less trouble than trying to integrate a sub and speakers together. You'd also be able to get a lot more for your money musically if you went used.

If you absolutely want a 2.1 setup for movies, a good bang for buck option would be some of Klipsch's Reference line offerings. Their speakers have very high sensitivities so you'll be able to drive them with most any amplifier to more than decent levels. $400 or so for pair of RB-35 bookshelf speakers and around $400 for an RW-10 subwoofer. You can easily find all that new on ebay. A dealer might be able to get you something close to that price range as well.

If you do go 2.1, I'd also look into getting some heavy stands. There's nothing worse than buying good speakers only to put them on top of whatever happens to lying around.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Jun 12, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 13
I'd definitely go for something from SVS and Hsu in terms of sub. 30x20 is a pretty big room, and you need something that can adequately pressurize the extents of the room.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 13
These look nice. I also went and listened to the B&W DM600, 601 and 602 S3s and I really liked them, only thing is that they aren't powered. I will be going to Guitar City possibly tomorrow to listen to the m-audio BX8s.

If I decide to go with what spacemanspliff mentioned, I'd have to get a reciever as well right? I would really like to hook it up to my Central Station (hookup diagram)right now.

Then I start to read about recievers and came upon this thread. These stereo integrated amps are designed only to amp the 2 speakers and nothing else correct? And a reciever does the whole 9 yards and gives you the option to go 5.1-7.1 in the future if needed?

Another thing comes into mind now, has anyone heard the BX8s, x-ls, and the B&W DM602 S3s? Would it be better to get passive speakers w/amp or the powered (BX8s)? I guess I'll find out soon, I'm gotta make a trip out to listen to the BX8s and hopefully they will let me take them home to hear.

My head is starting to spin, I was originally just going to get the BX8s, Event TR8s or 20/20bas because they are powered and would hook strait into my CS. Now there's a reciever, passive bookshelf speakers and possibly an amp.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry but Klipsch isn't really high end. too bright for most.

$800? Want to ABSOLUTELY kill small animals and destroy your furniture?

I wouldn't totally disregard them just like that. Klipsch offers a lot of bang for buck, especially in the HT dept. For the $$$, you get an extremely sensitive speaker that pairs well with just about any amp. I couldn't find the RB-35 specs quickly online, but you've got their flagship RB-81 sitting at 97dB sensitivity compared to the 87dB of the x-ls. He has a decent sized room. With the Klipsch's, you won't need an extremely powerful amp to 'kill animals and destroy furniture.' After all, the only thing you'll kill clipping your speakers trying to get loud will be the speakers themselves. They've also got larger drivers which means you'll probably get better imaging.

I agree, the Klipsch's have been known to be bright for music. That's nothing a slight EQ couldn't fix. But you can be sure they'll be crystal clear in movies.

Like every speaker you buy, I'd listen to them first. They may or may not be for you. You could even go with another sub if you'd like. But I hate how some people are quick to trash a certain brand of speakers when I've given very compelling reasons to consider them for their value.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 13
if you have a chance, try and listen to some usher audio s-520s .. I got some of those recently. It requires a really good amp and high quality recording tho (even some retail cds sound like crap on them). you can find a review on avsforum if you search for it

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SVS has a terrible bass midhump why would anyone want that in a 2.1 music setup?

hsu for sure

you aren't talking about the subs right? if it's the speakers sure ok I have not heard them but the svs sub is better than the hsu. I have heard those and they are competitive but the svs just kills.

USHER makes WONDERFUL speakers. I heard their entry level bookshelves and was pretty happy with them at their pricepoint. They make good quality speakers that have a popular mod done by these guys

http://www.responseaudio.com/ultimate%20usher.htm

Giant killers to be sure.

You could use your CS as a source and the sub will have it's own amp so all you would need is a separate little stereo amp.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you aren't talking about the subs right? if it's the speakers sure ok I have not heard them but the svs sub is better than the hsu. I have heard those and they are competitive but the svs just kills.

yes im talking about the subs

1) "the svs sub is better than the hsu", which ones are we referring to?
2) SVS kills what? The HSUs are generally regarded as more musical subwoofers than sVS by a lot, SVS is great for home theater but i would hate to have one for musical duties handling stuff into the 100hz area (*shudder*). Plus if im not mistaken the HSU MK3s have the same or more DBs then their equivalent svs.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 13
no I'm just talking entry level subs. I think the PB10 is just a monster but truly I am thinking in terms of HT. I haven't heard beyond the entry level subs though so if you have more experience there then cool. I can just say that depth charges and cannon fire feel real with the PB10 lol. Musically, I never used subs for music beyond my car or sometimes to add punch to a headphone like the K1000. I'm sure the HSU wouldn't suck anyway and if you say they are more musical then yay! that's the ticket.

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back