Book Shelf Speakers
Mar 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 22
Well , I got the Diamond 10.2's :) though I thought they sounded a little reserved in the mids and muddy...
What recommendations for Dac, receiver and wiring guys? To brighten the mids and clarify?

Don't count on being able to brighten and clarify the mids with DAC, receiver, and wiring.

If you plan on using these speakers to watch blu-ray or DVD, I would recommend getting a Denon, Marantz, or Onkyo AVR with Audyssey MultEQ or better (but not the lower model 2EQ) for a few reasons:

1) Audyssey MultEQ will EQ your speakers (and sub) to smooth the in-room frequency response, as well as setting delays and channel adjustments for your primary listening position. 2 channel amplifiers can't do this.
2) An AVR would allow you to hook up a sub with a choice of crossover points to best integrate it with the speakers. A sub is a must for blu-ray or DVD. Plus, ported speakers like the Wharfedales will have more distortion in the bass below their tuning point (around where they start to roll off); a good sub can produce better sound.
3) Then you have the option to upgrade to 3.1 or 5.1 later on.

And ignore that "the other channels are wasted" advice about AVRs. You generally get about 50% more power from your front left/right when running 2.0 instead of 5.0 with many AVRs. For instance, the Denon 1612 which has been tested to put out 71 watts at 0.1 % distortion into 5 channels, but 104 watts into 2 channels at 0.1 % distortion. So not as wasted as people would lead you to believe.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #18 of 22
Some of what you said I dont understand yet I have to research more about these setups... I probably will play blurays through these but that wasnt the purpose only music so I'm making that my primary objective. A sub may be in my future but its last on my list, a centre speaker would be the only other addition I would make once I have a qual reciever and amp. I dont really want this system to be upgradable to 7.1 as its primarily for music and I have enough crap allready :wink:

This is a epic concept the MultEQ can custom adjust sound for rooms. Does it really work as suggested. Do I take it that this product is an additional purchase option (groan) or that you can get the MultiEQ XT in a Denon reciever? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #19 of 22
True stereo purists use integrated amplifiers.
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #21 of 22
I recently set up a bedroom system for music and movies using a pair of B&W LM1's that I bought used off of eBay and I needed an amp/DAC to drive them. I ended up using the $250 NuForce Dia and it fit the bill nicely. Small form factor with multiple inputs and power to spare for the speakers. The added benefit that I wasn't expecting is being able to switch the sub line out to become a dedicated headphone jack - I'm listening to it right now. I live in a loft and don't want to bug my neighbors with loud explosions when watching movies in bed so I'm not using a sub.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Dia for a 2 channel system with passive speakers. Here's a photo of the finished set up:

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 22
Some of what you said I dont understand yet I have to research more about these setups... I probably will play blurays through these but that wasnt the purpose only music so I'm making that my primary objective. A sub may be in my future but its last on my list, a centre speaker would be the only other addition I would make once I have a qual reciever and amp. I dont really want this system to be upgradable to 7.1 as its primarily for music and I have enough crap allready :wink:

This is a epic concept the MultEQ can custom adjust sound for rooms. Does it really work as suggested. Do I take it that this product is an additional purchase option (groan) or that you can get the MultiEQ XT in a Denon reciever? 

If you want to be able to use a center channel, then you have to get an AVR instead of a 2 channel amp or stereo receiver.

Yes. Audyssey does help. It will not boost bass nulls, but otherwise, it does try to smooth the frequency response. And MultiEQ XT is better than MultiEQ because it has more filters. It can better correct the response. See this post over AVS forum where they detail the different 2013 models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back