bomb th RIAA next !
Oct 18, 2001 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
anyone read this ?http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stor...818346,00.html
These guys are over the top.I can understand some of the positions they take,and god knows I beleive artists/companies should be paid for thier works,and there ARE pirates out there as well as those that go to extreme measures to avoid EVER paying for a CD,BUT GIMME A DAMN BREAK MAN !
CDs that will not play in a CDROM.copyguard making a CD less hi fidelity by adding in measurable artifacts,NOW THIS **** !
So these jerkweeds would turn us into criminals on the same scale as terrorists ?
Almost makes me want to laugh if it were not so damn serious.These guys are playing hardball and we are the enemy,the target.
If I did not like my music so much i would boycot ANY pre-recorded medium for an entire year.Then again they would not even feel it.
Maybe they are in line for (gasp ! am I saying this?) a class action lawsuit for unfair trade practise or monopoly or ............

Oct 18, 2001 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 18
Damnit! That URL doesnt work. What gives?
confused.gif

While I'm at it, I think I'll comment on the fact that I've never been into mp3s. And furthermore, the fact that I've spent over $1300 on my CD collection so far.

Guess this is how were treated for paying over-inflated prices?

Oct 18, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 18
Basically, the article says the RIAA was prevented (thank goodness) from getting legislation into a new bill that would have made it legal for them to hack into your computer or hit it w/ a low-level DDOS attack if they had "reasonable suspicion" you had copyrighted material (mp3s) on your computer. Oh, and if any damage to your computer occurred, tough balls, the RIAA would not be liable. Oh, and they compared people w/ mp3s to terrorists...

This pisses me off to no end. No way in hell will I let the RIAA get into my computer. And here's the thing: Even if they do find mp3s on your computer, so what? They have no way of proving you don't own the album already!

Oct 18, 2001 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 18
It's action like this that makes me want to encode very high quality MP3s of all the albums I own and share them online. Not that I would ever flaunt the DMCA like that.

While you're reading about RIAA shenanigans, you might consider popping over to Amazon or other online stores and adding a "review" to albums that are protected by the new corrupt CD strategy - a note to the effect that the CD will not play in any DVD or computer is only fair warning to any potential buyer.

Here's a related page:
http://www.fatchucks.com/corruptcds/index.html

Although it doesn't matter much, it's only a matter of time before it is broken by software (again, not that I would ever flaunt the DMCA like that) and they have to go back to square one.

Oct 18, 2001 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 18
Hmm... silly RIAA...

It is so pathetically easy to copy a "protected" album, even I have the equipment capable of doing it...
Digital output of CDP -> ART DI/O digtial input -> ART DI/O analog input (loop) ->ART DI/O digital output -> Computer soundcard input, and voila!
copied CD... add some 'tube warmth' while you are at it... so much for copy protection... now artifacts though...

Oct 18, 2001 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 18
Man, this is a load of crap. RIAA can go to hell! Every single one of my CD's is in mp3 format on my computer!
tongue.gif
Who cares what you have to say about it?

Oct 18, 2001 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 18
The RIAA has gone.....bad.

Honestly. HACK ppl's computers because you SUSPECT (!?) they have illegal mp3s?

Hmm......I thought only the government could *act* upon reasonable suspicion...

Oct 18, 2001 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 18
Does this apply to the whole world or just eh US?

Anyway, they can't know who's using the computer at the time and the MP3 could have been an orginal work by the owner of the computer. imagine that! think of the law suits!

and they can't go through every computer in the country! all the 56K modem will take them ages. If a person really want to keep mp3, he or she would put it to CD-R, how are they going to stop that?

Oct 18, 2001 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 18
raymondlin: It applies to the WHOLE world, and if they couldn't hack into you, they'd get hitmen to come and get ya.......

The idiots, er, RIAA......

This sorta reminds me of the fact that Evian backwards is naive - dunno y.....

Oct 18, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 18
This especially sucks for people who have mp3 players.

I hope Sonic Blue or some other company that makes mp3 players sues the RIAA.

Oct 19, 2001 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 18
The stuff the RAII plans to do doesn't really concern me, a firewall, antivirus, or a few hacked programs will mean it will always be possible to do whatever you want with your music. Didn't it take about 5 minutes for hackers to break DVD encyption?

What bothers me is their attempt to take advantage of the sept 11 tragedy for commercial gain. At a time when people are in a state of almost panic, trying to quickly change our laws to provide better security from terrorists, the RIAA tries to slip in their crap hoping that we're too concerned about getting blown up or infected with anthrax to notice...

Oct 19, 2001 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 18
Every special interest group is trying to take advantage of the tragedy. I believe "honey farms" got money though the economic bailout legislation. Call your Congress folks and tell them to go to hell.

Oct 20, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 18
That's really scary. If I ever meet someone from the RIAA I will try to rip out their throat.

Someone with the means of doing so is going to teach the RIAA a lesson they will never forget if they don't watch themselves.

Oct 20, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 18
It'd be so much better and easier to support "security" if royalties actually got back to the people who make the music in the first place. I wish more artists had used this whole debacle to push for better terms in their contracts (maybe they should unionize - Rock Star Local #X). That's why Lars Ulrich and friends piss me off as much as the fat cats do; reminds me of the Post Office wanting to sue for lost revenue due to email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back