Body temperatures...
Feb 6, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 17
well... that's never happened to me before, but it could be a matter of where your hands are. my mousing hand will never be cold since the mouse is right next to my headphone amp (which, btw, is really really really really hot). if anything, my nonmousing hand will be freezing since it's not near any significant source of heat and closer to the window.

or maybe it's a matter of pressure points (no... not accupressure points) where your arm/wrist/hand lies on the table, restricting a bit of bloodflow.

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 17
Because blood flow is going.......um.....I'm going to stop there.
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though. It's a circulation issue. Perhaps you have lessen circulation. Some people do. Also, could it be cold in your room? The body's natural reaction to cold is to keep circulation of blood within the body and reduce flow to the extremities.

-Ed

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I've noticed it before, but do you guys have cold mousing hands? My mousing hand is freezing compared to my non-mousing hand.

Sounds like the veins or nerves in your mousing hand/arm are getting compressed. This is how people get started onto the road to repetitive stress injuries (RSI) or carpal tunnel syndrome. You may want to work on the ergonomics of your workstation, or consider switching to a different input device, possibly a trackball.

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 17
Indeed. Compressed nerves and blood vessels can cause this. I came close to getting carpal tunnel once, and believe me, even that was no fun. Odd as it may seem, do exercises before getting on the computer for any length of time. IANAD, but what was recommended to me (by a chiropracter) was to assume a folded hands position, like praying, then extend the arms out until your hands are approximately at a 90 degree angle. Apply light pressure for 10 seconds or so. Then place your elbow on a hard, flat surface (table will do), and bend your wrist down until it's parallel with the table. Apply light pressure for about 10 seconds. Repeat with the other arm. Then put your arm straight out in front you, and bend your wrist until it's pointing straight down. Again, apply light pressure for 10 seconds or so. Repeat for the other arm.

Again, I'm no expert. This was just what a chiro told me to do. The most important thing is light pressure. Don't want to strain something.

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 17
If your hands are naturally freezing, there is the chance that you have low thyroid. If you have a thermometer, take your temperature immediately upon waking and once before each meal. If you average below 98 degrees, you may have a low thyroid.

Feb 6, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 17
My hands do the same thing, even though they're normally hot and sweaty. Also they get this kind of spidery feeling at rare times which is weird. I tried switching to one of those mats with the pads on it to rest your hand on but that only made me feel spidery all the time.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
If your hands are naturally freezing, there is the chance that you have low thyroid. If you have a thermometer, take your temperature immediately upon waking and once before each meal. If you average below 98 degrees, you may have a low thyroid.

OK, the doctors never mentioned that to me as a possiblity. As the last time I was at the doctor, with an infection (therefore with a slight fever), and my temperature measured 96.8 (twice) I wonder if this is the explanation.

Thanks.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
OK, the doctors never mentioned that to me as a possiblity. As the last time I was at the doctor, with an infection (therefore with a slight fever), and my temperature measured 96.7 (twice) I wonder if this is the explanation.

Thanks.

People with infections often have temperatures below the normal range of 36.5-37.5 degrees centigrade (in UK money!) Bacterial infections often give rise to a spiking temperature, with intermittent normal/low temperatures, whereas viral infections often give rise to a persistent raised temperature.

I have never seen hypothyroidism present with cold hands. More likely it presents with lethargy and weight gain. Also those with the disease often have a slow pulse (less than 60/min).

A much more likely cause of cold hands is a disease called Raynaud's Disease/Phenomenon. Also worth excluding is scleroderma and CREST syndrome (though these are unlikely they can be serious). Look these diseases up in Google for a full explanation, as I don't have time to write fully about them. Best bet is to go and see your doctor!!

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 17
I have Raynaud's disease. When it's just barely cool outside, my hands turn frigid and icy with blotches of dark purple and red discoloring the skin. They take on a somewhat mottled appearance. They lose a lot of flexibility, I can't do much with my hands, etc. Thankfully it goes away after a little while, usually upon warming my hands back up. It is very annoying, but none of my doctors said anything about it being overly harmful to me.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks, but I don't worry about it. I've had a low body temperature for as long as I can remember - I get cold at the 1/2 drop of a hat. "Reptilian" for me is a reality, not just a saying.

I am currently sitting on a bed heated to 94 degrees so that I can feel comfortable. I'm used to spending 1/2 the year without much feel to my hands and feet under most circumstances.

Eh, it's a living.

Feb 6, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I have Raynaud's disease. When it's just barely cool outside, my hands turn frigid and icy with blotches of dark purple and red discoloring the skin. They take on a somewhat mottled appearance. They lose a lot of flexibility, I can't do much with my hands, etc. Thankfully it goes away after a little while, usually upon warming my hands back up. It is very annoying, but none of my doctors said anything about it being overly harmful to me.

Guess you have to live where it's warm and sunny all the time.
wink.gif

-Ed

Feb 7, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #14 of 17
Yeah--my bet is that it's an issue of angle of the hand/arm. I use my right arm and hand to move the mouse and my hand is always "uphill" from my arm. My left hand is usually in my lap (I know what you're thinking), and that hand is "downhill" from my arm. Anyway, try this experiment for fun and to prove my point. Leave one arm hanging straight down and stick one arm straight up in the air for, say, 30 seconds. After this time, look at your hands--the one that was elevated will be much more pale than the one that was hanging. My bet is that it'll be significantly colder, too. It's hard to pump blood uphill!

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Guess you have to live where it's warm and sunny all the time.
wink.gif

-Ed

Not so warm and sunny now.
rolleyes.gif
My bedroom is a comfortable 70 degrees... and guess what? My hands are freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back