Bob Carver Tube Amp on eBay
Nov 15, 2008 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

StratCat

100+ Head-Fier
HERE

Just thought I'd post this as an item of interest; Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere here at Headfi.

Credit: A thread I stumbled upon at either Headwize or DIY Audio; Unfortunately I lost the link.

Edit: Some interesting tech discussion in the expanded "questions" section of the listing...maybe my post would've been more appropriate in the DIY section?

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 10
I actually found the question and answer section (in fully expanded mode) to be the most interesting, TBH.

Interesting from both a tech and historical POV. But also, some insight into Bob's interpersonal communication skills/methods.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 10
A lesson in PR, Marketing and Salesmanship at its finest. Never so clearly, in so few words has a design philosophy been articulated by a designer, and on ebay no less.

And another lesson in amplifier circuit design that I don't really understand, but somehow secretly want to.

Hmmm... if I sell this, mortgage that, hide from wife for a month ...just maybe. Nah, but it be so worth it so see my name on that left transformer cover along side that of Bob Carver. I can dream, can't I?wink:

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lesson in PR, Marketing and Salesmanship at its finest. Never so clearly, in so few words has a design philosophy been articulated by a designer, and on ebay no less.

[...]

Yes, when I did the post directly above yours I was thinking of adding some small "remember it's an eBay listing" quip to point out that the listing's underlying purpose (ostensibly) is, of course, to sell an item, so eBay comments should be filtered throught that perspective. But yeah, it's still some pretty interesting insight into the man. Agreed.

And if one has the ability to understand the technical aspects of the discussion it becomes even more salient and enjoyable. The tech discussion is very good, IMHO: Very verbal, overarching, yet succinct, rather than the usual highly abbreviated EE idiomatic nomenclature supported with mathematical argument. I'd even interject, its somewhat philosophical, TBH.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Great looking amp... and love the design... I know that the bids are going to go way to high...
frown.gif

Cheers

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Ah, memories of my first quality rig... my Carver amp and I ruined many a night of my fellow dorm dwellers. Like I'm supposed to turn the volume down just because it's 3AM on a Tuesday night!

I didn't even know the guy was still around.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Looks really nice indeed!
biggrin.gif

$3,800+ is not pocket money though.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 10
The bidding ends around 9:30P tommorow nite, Chicago time.

If I'm online then, and not too busy, I might check out the aution's last 1/2 hr, or so, to see what kind of action it gets.

What can I say?
rolleyes.gif

I'm a cheap date.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back