BNIB AKG K601 for 135GBP... Worth it?
Apr 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Inc shipping. What u guys think compared to an used HD600, which I hopefully get for 140GBP.

And has anyone tried both the K601 and the Superlux HD668b or V6, regardless of the price difference? Just to get an impression of the K601.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 32
Very flat and cold headphone. Analytical. Similar to DT880, but less bright at the high end. Never heard the HD600. What kind of sound do you like? Cooler, analytical? Warmer, fun? A combo? :-?

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 32
Anything lol! I tend to like both analytical and warm :p half the times I get eargasm from the details while at other half I enjoy being indulged by the sweet bass like Denon sounds. For now I'm looking to improve the variety of my collection so something less coloured than the Gralessandos, but give me a good idea of what real audiophile cans would sound like (Still love my MS1000i so no offence to Grado fans).

I'm still in college at the moment so will I'm looking to get a proper rig in about a year time after I start working.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: prob because I'm only 21 so I tend to pick up the sibilant highs in the 668b. Hope this doesn't happen with higher-end phones. :S

EDIT: Flat and cold actually sound like the V6
confused_face.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 32
Power should not be a huge problem I think since the amp I bought can drive phones up to 300ohm (I hope!)

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 32
Based on AKG website, K601 is next to K701.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 32
A few days ago, after I had played with my new D2000 and HD650 I thought of selling my K601. I picked it up, and found I had gained a greater appreciation for its relative neutrality.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 32
think i'm gonna go for the K601 since the MS1000i could take care of all the fun needs. Going through all of my music, I realised what I want from a pair of headphones are the beautiful mids, separation of instruments, and punchy bass (this might be a pain when listening to mainstream R&B but ah well!). All of these can be found in the K601 (K701 might do this better but for a significant price).

Which do you think is good for R&B, Hip-hop, Acid Jazz, Soul etc out of these 2 from you experience Luckybaer?

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think i'm gonna go for the K601 since the MS1000i could take care of all the fun needs. Going through all of my music, I realised what I want from a pair of headphones are the beautiful mids, separation of instruments, and punchy bass (this might be a pain when listening to mainstream R&B but ah well!). All of these can be found in the K601 (K701 might do this better but for a significant price). .....

I had the same dilemma for about 2 weeks before deciding to buy the k601 and skip the K701. My main line of reasoning was not the price difference between the phones themselves, but mostly the "huge" ammount of cash that K701 would have asked from the amping equipment as to be able to sound at their true potential. As my (more experienced ) friends explained me, the K701 is indeed a great can, but what´s the use of having them and then throw away half of your music collection ? (´cause the 701 are really unforgiving) As long as you just want to listen to music, and you are not involved in sound engineering, or don´t want to spent 5 times their price on amping them properly, I would say go for the 601. You will avoid a lot listening fatigue and trust me, your ears will degrade in time anyway, and they are not upgradable at all.

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 32
My dilema is actually between AKG and Senn sounds
smily_headphones1.gif
I tried the HD555 and did not like the sounds at all. The bass is there but doesn't have any texture, great clarity but nothing near my V6. Prob cos I plugged it straight to my laptop.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 32
The only Sennheiser phones i've compared my k601 to is the hd595 and I much prefer my AKG's. The senn's just sounded dull and lifeless by comparison. They do need a powerfull amp with them as they don't have the soundstage, depth or detail without one. (Not to mention you need to max the volume pretty much). They shine out of my CKKIII and a little dot i've tried (forgotten which one), i also much prefer the fit to sennheiser's. I did try the k701's when I got mine but I preferred the 6's as they seemed more musical. very underrated phones IMO.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 32
The K601s are a lovely laid back headphone. Quite a bit power to drive, but worth the effort by my books. They're not entirely detailed but I find them to be quite musical and the soundstage is relatively wide when compared to most headphones. I feel in love with their analogue sound and very very lightweight and comfortable design off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back