BMG worth it?
Oct 23, 2006 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Duc

100+ Head-Fier
So last time I was a member of BMG I was about 13 and ended up getting sent to collections...
eggosmile.gif
but thats another story.

So I was looking into it again (with more responsibility of course)
and was wondering what expirences people have had and if it is worth it. Is the selection worthwhile and is it easy to keep them from sending you the 'monthly special'

blink.gif

!!B

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 14
i have signed up dozens of times. its great.

its easy to cancel your selection online. and if you foget, you can always just mark return to sender on it, and pay nothing.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 14
Thier selection is much better than it was in the past. There is still a lot of music I listen to and they do not have but still not bad selections.

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 14
I am a member and I signed up again to get 12 for the price of one plus 5 free cd's with my current account. This comes out to be 29 cds for around $4.07 per disc. Not bad by my standards.

BMG and Yourmusic.com have helped me start a nice little Classical and Jazz collection.

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
i have signed up dozens of times. its great.

its easy to cancel your selection online. and if you foget, you can always just mark return to sender on it, and pay nothing.

Thats what I did. after a couple months they booted me though.

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 14
I would say no way...at least from my experience.

I did it a long time ago and it was such a joke sending in those cards every month. And then, recently, I found out I was entitled to benefits from a class action lawsuit settlement (they were screwing people via the shipping/handling charges). So, I got 3 cds at 80% off w/ no s/h but they have nothing but a bunch of crap.

Look through their catalog and if they've got stuff you like it's a good deal. But buy your one cd right away so you can get out if you want.

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
I would say no way...at least from my experience.

I did it a long time ago and it was such a joke sending in those cards every month. And then, recently, I found out I was entitled to benefits from a class action lawsuit settlement (they were screwing people via the shipping/handling charges). So, I got 3 cds at 80% off w/ no s/h but they have nothing but a bunch of crap.

Look through their catalog and if they've got stuff you like it's a good deal. But buy your one cd right away so you can get out if you want.

No cards to send it for me.

I get their new selection offering online, and then cancel it online.

I also wait for their sale where you get any slection for $6 with no shipping costs as long as you order 5 minimum - just did it today and got 7 CDs for $42. Had four in my shopping cart over the last 5 months then added 3 new ones for the sale.

Just let your selections keep on hold in your shopping cart, adding to them at times, and buy the lot on the special sale.

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 14
I've gotten less than 25% of my CD collection through BMG, but I'd say it's already been worth it - the initial 12 for 1 deal is actually quite good (even with shipping), and once you're a member, if you're patient and can wait for the special sales to come around, like 60% off with no S/H, it starts to become an even better deal.

True, the selection isn't that good - but that's a factor only if you're into esoteric genres. They're loaded with all the mainsteam pop/rock acts and offshoots, and a surprising number of indies and old 80s or 90s acts. Lots of film soundtracks too, and a fair selection of classical.

Declining the featured selection is a snap now, everything can be done online. You must've tried them out back when dial-up modems were the rage.
wink.gif

I was able to score all of Massive Attack's LPs from BMG - brand-new condition, always in-stock, $2.99 each - how many sites can you do that from?

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 14
I have not used BMG, or anything of the sort in years, but I remember specifically one of the reasons why I stopped using them is their discs would sometimes be different than the retail versions. Edited artwork, missing liner notes (because the liner notes contained profanity of course) and what finally pushed me over the edge was two albums I bought had missing SONGS.

(despite their not being information of any kind about their being two types of albums anywhere on the internet)

My experience hasn't been good. But it's a shame most good music stores are continually going out of business. Here in minneapolis a great one (Let it Be) is going to be turned into freaking condo's pretty soon.

mad.gif

/rant off

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Also...be aware that AMAZON just started a music club partnership with CDNow. I just joined that one cause the selection is impressive at AMAZON.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
Also...be aware that AMAZON just started a music club partnership with CDNow. I just joined that one cause the selection is impressive at AMAZON.

hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back