BluRay or HD DVD? Poll
Aug 17, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #46 of 52
I personally don't care who wins. I honestly think there is a chance both can live together. I'm sure there are good reasons and strong opinions as to why I am wrong. Anyways, I don't care. I have both. No format war in my house.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I saw a local rental place's sign that said BluRay now for rent. There was no mention of HD DVD. Little by little BluRay is winning.

keep dreaming
wink.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/20/p...hd-dvd-exclus/

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
keep dreaming
wink.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/20/p...hd-dvd-exclus/

This is really a stupid decision and ticks me off to no end!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

In a statement, Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures said, "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

How smart of a choice it is remains to be seen, but it is noteworthy that Paramount-owned DreamWorks SKG will make an exception for Spielberg films. Paramount indicated that his works could be made available in either format, or both.

For the first half of 2007, Blu-ray discs have outsold their HD DVD counterparts by a two-to-one margin, according to figures released last week. Since the beginning of the year, consumers have snapped up 1.6 million Blu-ray discs, compared to 795,000 HD DVD discs. Since their launch last year, 1.5 million HD DVD discs and 2.2 million Blu-ray discs have been sold.

The neck-and-neck race also extends to the player market, where Blu-ray has a slight lead over HD DVD players, largely thanks to the popularity of the PlayStation 3.

Paramount came out in the early days as an exclusive HD DVD backer, but announced in late 2005 that they would swing both ways. At the time, the company cited the broad support enjoyed by Blu-ray, which continues to have the widest support from Hollywood. Minus Paramount, of course.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #49 of 52
I am posting opinion before I read the others, so I apologize if I am repeating what another said.

I believe that it truly depends on what format the FIRST HUGE office box hits come out on, and or what Disney PIXAR promotes first.

I have only heard commercial for a few on Bluray, and none on HD DVD. That is the main reasom I voted blu-ray.

I will now check and see if HD DVD is trademarked. It sounds rather generic. If it is to be the next 'standard' it fits in well with DVD. However, I have not even heard the term 'in real life'.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #50 of 52
This discussion has been as I expected after reading it now.

VHS vs. Betamax Marketing won over quality. VHS is fine.
PC vs. MAC Marketing over (others) I am PC user only for convenience since I had one in 1988 and just kept 'upgrading'. Either is fine.

I do not think the **** industry will affect it. How much detail does someone need?

CDMA vs. GSM vs. TDMA vs. AMPS This battle keeps one big company from eating Sprint, NEXTEL, AT&T, Verizon, etc. then becomming one huge conglomerate. Any technology is fine.

It will always be based on marketing. I don't know if I would like the i-Phone but I know millions of people will buy it since I hear about it every day.

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #51 of 52
I don't really care who wins. I just want someone to win in the next 12-24 months which is the time frame in which I hope to replace my 1/4 HD projector with a full 1080p projector.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #52 of 52
I voted Blu Ray because of it's storage capacity. The extra 20gb allows for things like, an entire movie in 1080p using mpeg2, or 2 full lpcm soundtracks, plus all the extra features and other none sense. When I look at competing formats and the only tangible difference is space, it's hard to argue away that extra 20gb. I don't care about the studios or PR related nonesense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back