Bluetooth receiver or BT DAC to connect to an Amazon Echo?
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
Currently my Echo dot outputs to a pair of JBL305s through its 3.5mm analog output. It's not ideal.

I'd like to improve on this as I have several DACs here and there which would be a good upgrade.
I could either go with a BT receiver, and then DAC line-out -> powered speakers, or go straight with a BT DAC.

Since I have a SMSL SU-8 incoming with XLR outputs, I'd like to re-use this, so maybe a BT receiver is the better idea.

To this end I was looking at the Audioengine B1, or the SMSL B1 (way to be imaginative on the name guys...).
The AEB1 is quite an older design, but appears much higher-end than the SMSL, which does seem to offer similar functionality.

What could I be overlooking? Would this type of device be indeed what I need?

I am not expecting audiophile quality here: I stream through Spotify at its highest quality, and I have little interesting Lossless or Hi-res audio right now. I just want to get the best out of my existing setup and remove a clear weak link :)

Thanks for any insights!

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 6
I think sound quality might be limited by the Bluetooth streaming quality of the Dot. From all I've read, I don't think it does APTX or AAC streaming, so you'd be stuck with SBC.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks! Indeed, this isn't about engame but just the low-hanging-fruit next improvement.
I went for an IFI Nano iOne, which will output to RCA and give me the opportunity to try this solution out.

If I REALLY want to upgrade later, I would go with the SMSL or Audioengine and connect it to one of my balanced DACs but I'm not convinced this would bring much; we'll see!

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 6
With the iOne you’d be better off, as far as audio quality goes, using your phone. If you have an iPhone, you’d get AAC Bluetooth streaming, and with an Android you’d hopefully get Aptx. If you’re on the Amazon music app you can still use Alexa just like you would have been doing on the Dot.

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 6
I really want the iOne too. I was going to get the xDSD because it’s an all in one solution including Bluetooth. Then by either good luck or bad luck I stumbled upon a really good deal on an iFi iCan SE and couldn’t resist. Now the iOne seems like the best option to pair up with the iCan. Now I’m just waiting on a good deal on a used iOne in the FS forum.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Good luck with your search!

I got the iOne yesterday, it's extremely light and small, I expected larger (unlike the Matrix HPA-3B I also go yesterday, which is HUGE and HEAVY. Damn).
It sounds fine when I tried it through my PC with USB. No better or worse than my Topping D50 I guess. We'll see when I can test it all out in more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back