Bluetooth IEM Recommendations?
Oct 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
I've been out of the IEM market for quite some time, and to be honest it is SO saturated with products I find it difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. I've just purchased a pair of B&W P7 wireless Bluetooth over-ears for use with my iPhone 7, my first pair of BT cans. While I'm astonished at just how good they sound, I'm wondering if the portability of a good BT IEM might fit my mobile use better. So, I'm looking for recommendations. Budget is $400 tops. Can anyone help me cut through the weeds and throw some suggestions my way? I'd be most appreciative!

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 14
I'll second this question and would be happy for hints.

But I'm not very hopeful after my first experiences, because my personal benchmark appears to be way too high for the present market offers: it is the Sony MDR-EX1000 (cable) IEM, which - although quite old - in my view still leads the pack of cable IEMs...

Recently I've purchased the new beyerdynamics Bytron BTA and sent it back. Today I got the Teufel (renowned German seller) Move BT. They are exceptionally comfortable, but when comparing to the sound of the EX1000 I definitively have no other option than to send it back immediately.

I haven't yet tested the very few new ones in the $300..400 range, such as the Erato Apollo 7. But I doubt that we'll see some real first class BT IEM before next year, when the market pull from iPhone 7 owners bears first fruits. 

For a BT IEM with the audio quality of the EX1000 I would easily spent $500 or so, without any hesitation.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you and I are birds of a feather when it comes to sound quality. If the current crop of BT IEMs within my budgetary reach really are such a compromise, I'll just stick with the P7 wireless. It really does sound quite good via AAC with my iPhone and even better paired with my MacBook Pro via aptX. Plus, I have the option of skipping BT compression by using it wired if I so choose, something that I haven't yet found in a BT IEM.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 14
  If the current crop of BT IEMs within my budgetary reach really are such a compromise, I'll just stick with the P7 wireless. 

At present that seems to be your best (and also viable) option. With over ears and bluetooth, there is already a bunch of quality products. With IEMs this still will need some patience, I'm afraid...

As I guessed already, we should come back to the topic somewhen next year... Maybe the holiday season will bring first good products, but before we can get our hand on them and have reliable test, we may easily have spring. At least...

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 14
Reopening this thread

My SBH 80 have lost power on rhs in just one year of occasional use

Looking for suggestions in the same range

Please help

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 14
I have the new Jabra Sport Elite.  I like them a lot.  They sound very good IMHO.  The form factor is excellent.  They stay in my ears comfortably.  They are basically waterproof and the charger/case works very well.  They were $250 before Xmas--now $200.  I listen to them outdoors on my iPhone.  They did benefit from some equalizer tweeks in Kaisertone app.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jabra-elite-sport-wireless-in-ear-headphones-black/5622121.p?skuId=5622121

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Surprised there aren't more suggestions? I'm in the same boat...

I did some research and it seems the Model 3 by Advanced comes highly rated and is only $80. I'm close to ordering sight unseen, sound unheard. Look it up I'm fairly confident I will be pleased at that price point.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 14
I bought the V MODA FORZA WIRELESS White/Silver !! £139 Amazon

YouTube review here:

(btw they were cheaper @ £119 elsewhere but the site was not reliable after a Google search!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back