Bluetooth IEM/Earbuds with good mic quality & comfort
Dec 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dodgexander

New Head-Fier
Comfort is important because I want to wear these whilst laying down both when listening to music and in calls. If I can find ones that are comfortable when laying on my side on a pillow it would be ideal.

Details:
  • I prefer more pronounced treble and mids compared to bass...seems most models I look at are tailored more to be V shaped or have heavy bass.
  • If I can't find ones with a good microphone, comfort and suitable sound together does anyone know of any cheaper models for just calls? (decent quality mic and comfort only). Then I can look at a separate pair of wired for music only.
  • I am open to wired suggestions if anyone has good experiences with both sound quality and mic.
Options I have found and remarks:

Senheiser Momentum in ear wireless (HD1 in the USA):
These seem most promising, but I am scared that I will be put off by the heavy bass. Are these good enough to still retain good upper mids and highs?
Has anyone any experience using similar neckband designs when sleeping or laying down? Is it uncomfortable?

beyerdynamic byron bta/bt:
These seem promising because they match my sound preferences but I am worried about the mic quality, in the whathifi review they rated the microphone poor and the length of the ear pieces themselves (they look too long for laying on the side) has anyone tried using these laying down?

advanced Sound Model 3:
I like these because they have both wired and wireless options and look like they are comfortable although they seem to be reviewed as bass heavy and not so great with mids or highs. Will I be disappointed with the mids and highs with these?

v-moda forza metallo:
Seem like these are going to be too bass heavy for my liking, mic seems good though.

RHA 750/650 wireless:
Seems like these are complete opposite sound signature to my preference? Apple certified so probably won't work with my phone.

Etymotic HF2/HF3:
I was really hoping I could just use these but they are apple only certified, I am scared the microphone won't work with my android phone. I don't care so much about the controls. Has anyone used the mic with an android phone? Its a new one with TRRS CITA layout, not OMTP. Yet as I understand with the RHA's they will not work with android phones.

To give an idea of my sound preference, my favourite iem's have always been my old Etymotic er6is. I like detailed, analytical sound and I don't mind a lack of bass, but if there is bass that doesn't drown out other details I do not mind it of course.

I am prepared to buy used and I don't really have a budget as long as it isn't thousands.

Thanks for any help. Open to all suggestions.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 4
For the Apple certified devices, the microphone will definitely work with your Android but the volume up-down won't.

From your sound preference, it seems like the Etymotic would probably fit your need best.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 4
@Dulalala thankyou for your reply. That is good to know. I had contacted RHA about their range of apple certified devices and they said it wouldn't work. I even asked them about the mic and they just said the only ones to work would be their wireless range.

Do you have any suggestions, sound aside for a comfortable bluetooth headset with a decent microphone? I did once try a cheap one on amazon but the ear pieces were too thick and the neckband uncomfortable.

Its notoriously hard to find remarks on microphone quality and comfort and it seems with bluetooth there is always a tradeoff between the size of the earpieces, the neckband and battery life.

Everything online is for bassheads and for the gym/running, very frustrating.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 4
@Dulalala thankyou for your reply. That is good to know. I had contacted RHA about their range of apple certified devices and they said it wouldn't work. I even asked them about the mic and they just said the only ones to work would be their wireless range.

My friend has the T10i and the mic works fine on his Android...

Either way try taking a look at the V Moda Forza. I haven't personally tried it but I've heard good things about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back